Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help with Star Alliance Gold Checked Bag Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Star Alliance Gold Checked Bag Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I checked those links too, but according to whet the rep told me on the phone, I didn't get free bags. I just wasn't sure if anyone here had experience with traveling with them.

I guess I won't know for sure until I get to the counter to check in, but thanks for the replies!
surprised the AC phone rep gave you that answer. IME you get the free bacgs on AC no issues and their policy is very generous compared to most other *A carriers.

The only real problems are the new no frills LH fares ...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Good question. The United website says all travelers in the same reservation as a MileagePlus Premier member may receive the same benefits as the Premier member. I take it you are only *G and not a UA Premier member so I'm not sure how UA will handle this. If you got it in the past it's probably a good bet you can get it again. But United agents make stuff up on the fly so good luck

-RM
Hi thought id let you know the outcome.. I booked our usa domestic flights last night and all of the family got one bag free (5 x $25 = $125 per journey and we are taking 4 x journeys so thats $500 in bag fees saved by bring *G which I think is great! the entire series of flights is only costing $2372 so $500 extra would have been stink) PS going IAH-BOS-BUF-FLL-AUS out of all of these have only ever been to Ft Laud and was one night only so very much looking forward to seeing more of your great country :-) PPS did I mention new zealand is paradise?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by apjsmith
Hi thought id let you know the outcome.. I booked our usa domestic flights last night and all of the family got one bag free (5 x $25 = $125 per journey and we are taking 4 x journeys so thats $500 in bag fees saved by bring *G which I think is great! the entire series of flights is only costing $2372 so $500 extra would have been stink) PS going IAH-BOS-BUF-FLL-AUS out of all of these have only ever been to Ft Laud and was one night only so very much looking forward to seeing more of your great country :-) PPS did I mention new zealand is paradise?
Great. Enjoy the trip. NZ is one of my favorites. Was just back there in December and loved hearing the folks in Wellington complain it's "too hot" at 64F (17C).

-RM
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
warakorn, if I booked a basic/light fare with *A Gold from Tel Aviv to Brussels, I don't get bags, correct?

My understanding is that basically star alliance gold only kicks in once I buy a better fare?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
warakorn, if I booked a basic/light fare with *A Gold from Tel Aviv to Brussels, I don't get bags, correct?

My understanding is that basically star alliance gold only kicks in once I buy a better fare?
Alas, yes. *G benefits for baggage don't apply with EU light fares.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, AA, UA, DL
Is there anything published about whether travel companions on the same reservation as a *G get the same baggage allowance as they do? And how many companions? Haven't been able to find anything so far.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tearsplash
Is there anything published about whether travel companions on the same reservation as a *G get the same baggage allowance as they do? And how many companions? Haven't been able to find anything so far.
I do not think any of the *G baggage benefits apply to traveling companions. And if they do, this will be airline specific.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tearsplash
For UA operated flights, UA will honor the *G baggage benefits or everyone on the same PNR as the elite. Very standard and has been true for as long as I can remember.
TObject likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:19 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For UA operated flights, UA will honor the *G baggage benefits or everyone on the same PNR as the elite. Very standard and has been true for as long as I can remember.
Cool, I guess you are right:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra....aspx?Mobile=1

Under "Checked baggage service charge exceptions" it currently says: "Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers."

Any other *A carriers that allow this?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by TObject
Cool, I guess you are right:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra....aspx?Mobile=1

Under "Checked baggage service charge exceptions" it currently says: "Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers."
That verbiage refers to MileagePlus Premier levels. It doesn't speak one way or the other to the treatment of *G members (that are members of programs other than MileagePlus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.