Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS ending skycap service 15 November 2017

Old Nov 4, 17, 10:48 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

FYI

See Airport updates on https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx

David
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 17, 5:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Thanks for the pointer. Just in time for the holiday travel season. I suppose the lines inside to check bags will get somewhat longer.
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is about time. ^ SKycap is a legacy derived from American tipping culture. I have not seen them in Europe or Asia and there is no chaos in baggage check in areas.
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
-----
United has those self-checkin for baggage now(at Boston), right ? ....then it's just a matter of time before this happens across the system.
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Interesting. I feel American Airlines did this a few years back and it started a huge fight. If I remember correctly the SkyCaps were unionized and pushed back hard. However, several years forward this service seems less needed given the self-tag service etc...
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
It always upset me that this service wasn't free for elites. Anyone know why? Seems like an opportunity missed when you advertise premier/priority/premium everything else!
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Removing a useless "service" is always a welcome change.
cfischer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 17, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
maybe this will cut back on people bring their whole closet on trips!!
Billiken likes this.
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:48 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
maybe this will cut back on people bring their whole closet on trips!!
------
....and skycaps breaking every rule in the book when a $20 tip will get your overweight bag on a flight.....(no thought to weights and balance).....and they do quite well for themselves. I've seen many who drove better cars into the employee lot than airline captains.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Its so "Boston" that its the last (or nearly so) airport to drop skycap service! Tradition dies hard there!
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
Interesting. I feel American Airlines did this a few years back and it started a huge fight. If I remember correctly the SkyCaps were unionized and pushed back hard. However, several years forward this service seems less needed given the self-tag service etc...
No, AA imposed a $2/bag fee for curbside checkin and split the money with G2 Services, the contractor that provided the curbside employees. Passenger tips fell dramatically, and the G2 employees sued AA. They claimed that passengers thought the $2 went to the employees or was a forced tip, killing their tip income. When they won at trial, AA raised their pay to $12/hr - $15/hr and put up signs telling passengers that tipping was prohibited. The skycap victory was later overturned in the appeals court.

AA still has skycaps at BOS and a couple dozen other airports.
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Its so "Boston" that its the last (or nearly so) airport to drop skycap service! Tradition dies hard there!
Still available at SFO and other airports
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:56 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
No, AA imposed a $2/bag fee for curbside checkin and split the money with G2 Services, the contractor that provided the curbside employees. Passenger tips fell dramatically, and the G2 employees sued AA. They claimed that passengers thought the $2 went to the employees or was a forced tip, killing their tip income. When they won at trial, AA raised their pay to $12/hr - $15/hr and put up signs telling passengers that tipping was prohibited. The skycap victory was later overturned in the appeals court.

AA still has skycaps at BOS and a couple dozen other airports.
Gotcha! That makes more sense. I didn't realize they won in court and then the victory was later overturned.

Again, my broader point is I don't see the value of skycaps especially with self check-in now. I understand they can help but feel it's an antiquated service.
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat/1MM, DL SM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
It always upset me that this service wasn't free for elites. Anyone know why? Seems like an opportunity missed when you advertise premier/priority/premium everything else!
It was free for everyone, not just elites, at least in the last several years. I always gave them a tip but it was not required. We would use it if we had a lot of checked luggage and just wanted to hand it off and not have to wait in any lines. I think the $2/bag was just AA unless UA did that a long time ago. I've never been charged for the service.

It's been especially helpful in HI where you have to deal with a bunch of extra steps when checking bags to the mainline. They took care of everything, even all the agriculture checks. I don't mind paying them a tip for dealing with all of that for me.
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingNone View Post
------
....and skycaps breaking every rule in the book when a $20 tip will get your overweight bag on a flight.....(no thought to weights and balance).....and they do quite well for themselves. I've seen many who drove better cars into the employee lot than airline captains.
I moved my household wardrobe -- two closetsful of clothes and shoes -- to and from San Francisco for the year I spent out there. This was before 9-11, when suit-and-tie was still commonplace, aka a lot of garments. Four enormous duffel bags, well overweight and certainly oversized, all for $20 tips to two Skycaps. One in Boston on the way out, one in San Francisco after the project completed. Best $40 I ever spent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: