Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there no/extremely limited upgrade availability on PS routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there no/extremely limited upgrade availability on PS routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Took a look at all 10 SFO-EWR flights today:
+ 244 front cabin seats
+ 3 upgrades cleared so far
+ remaining flights booked full

Tomorrow's 10 flights:
+ 244 front cabin seats
+ 0 cleared upgrades
+ all booked full

Midweek looks terrible.

Yesterday (Monday) was sort of OK:
+ 288 front cabin seats
+ 18 cleared upgrades (before 1p)
+ 0 cleared upgrades (after 1p)
For ps, the flight status only shows upgrades that occur after check-in opens. Just like on long-haul international. So you really can't tell how many seats were actually filled by upgrades prior to T-24. (Though it's fair to assume the number is relatively low, and that it's mostly GS clearing into PN since R is always scarce on this route now.)

Originally Posted by greg99
which is why the higher than typical revenue occupancy makes sense.
Unless you have access to internal UA data, not sure how you can know that paid BF loads are higher than normal this week.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless you have access to internal UA data, not sure how you can know that paid BF loads are higher than normal this week.
You're correct. I don't have access, and thus I don't *know*.

I do *know*, however, that a larger number than is typical of people in my world who consistently purchase transcon revenue BF seats are traveling from the NYC area to SF this week for the conference.

What I don't *know* is whether the normal revenue BF load (ex-Life Science Big Wigs) is lower. I guess it's possible.

My point/suggestion is that the potential effects of the conference on what is actually a relatively small number of BF seats between EWR and SFO this week are actually real effects.

Greg
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For ps, the flight status only shows upgrades that occur after check-in opens. Just like on long-haul international. So you really can't tell how many seats were actually filled by upgrades prior to T-24. (Though it's fair to assume the number is relatively low, and that it's mostly GS clearing into PN since R is always scarce on this route now.)
Good point, I didn't realise that. I suppose it is consistent with how they brand the route.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:07 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
By the way, semi-related -- a DL ff friend was mentioning that some of DL's ATL-SFO transcons have upgauged to A333 right around Superbowl. Maybe to increase capacity / give premium fliers a better taste of their service?

I wonder if UA has considered this?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Took a look at all 10 SFO-EWR flights today:
+ 244 front cabin seats
+ 3 upgrades cleared so far
+ remaining flights booked full

Tomorrow's 10 flights:
+ 244 front cabin seats
+ 0 cleared upgrades
+ all booked full

Midweek looks terrible.

Yesterday (Monday) was sort of OK:
+ 288 front cabin seats
+ 18 cleared upgrades (before 1p)
+ 0 cleared upgrades (after 1p)
I would be curious to know on what days they are actually flying 'up to 17 flight daily', which was in the initial promotion of service frequency prior to the move. 10 is closer to 2/3 of the promised number and pretty poor, IMO...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good point, I didn't realise that. I suppose it is consistent with how they brand the route.
I think it's based on whether the route is CPU eligible.

Beyond that, for some reason, ps flights do not always reliably show upgrade data on the flight status page. Last time I SDC'ed into open R my name did not show on the list as "upgraded."

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would be curious to know on what days they are actually flying 'up to 17 flight daily', which was in the initial promotion of service frequency prior to the move. 10 is closer to 2/3 of the promised number and pretty poor, IMO...
Wasn't ps typically nine daily to JFK?

If we're now regularly at only ten per day, that's like a 50% capacity cut SFO-NYC nonstop.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by greg99
The life sciences guys took all the good places in SF for lunch, so the tech guys decided to go to London...
I only meant it as an anecdote about the demand for C/F seats out of SFO this week.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:17 pm

My memory is 6 or maybe 7. 3 morning, 1PM, 4/4:30 (yeuch) and 1-2 red eyes depending on the day.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beyond that, for some reason, ps flights do not always reliably show upgrade data on the flight status page. Last time I SDC'ed into open R my name did not show on the list as "upgraded."
So you're telling me I should be hopeful when I finally fly have to fly this route?

I guess it makes sense that they'd have one upgrade process on their mainframe (I feel like it really is a mainframe) for CPU/RPU-eligible flights and another for GPU-only flights.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:22 pm

I feel like it really is a mainframe
With tape drive probably
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by TA
By the way, semi-related -- a DL ff friend was mentioning that some of DL's ATL-SFO transcons have upgauged to A333 right around Superbowl. Maybe to increase capacity / give premium fliers a better taste of their service?

I wonder if UA has considered this?
There's a thread over at the DL forum about 124 folks on the ug list for the A333 ATL-SFO on Sunday; think it is really a demand driven shift rather than the latter explanation.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I think it's based on whether the route is CPU eligible.

If we're now regularly at only ten per day, that's like a 50% capacity cut SFO-NYC nonstop.
Isn't it coded just like an international upgrade with an instrument? Last flights I had upgraded with GPU's my name was never on the "upgraded" list.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Isn't it coded just like an international upgrade with an instrument? Last flights I had upgraded with GPU's my name was never on the "upgraded" list.
I am pretty sure I have wound up on the upgrade list for international with GPU [edit: with clearance before 24hrs]. In fact I thought I always had, but I used to not check very carefully.

edit2: now that I think some more, I really can't remember confidently. So I actually have nothing to say.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:02 pm

I've found that P.S. seats are booked and paid for by the Film/TV studios for producers/execs/actors on the LAX-EWR route. I remember the only two times I was able to upgrade, I was sitting next to Jonathan Nolan (TV Producer - Person of Interest) and some TV actress, whose name escapes me. It seems like some of the studios do business with United and buy tickets on the P.S. Flights for the staff and talent.

But as for me, recently, I've tried booking business class flights out of, LAX, JFK and Newark, and except for the redeye flights and early AM flights, there's never a seat to use my RPU's with.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:16 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It was never clear to me if "17 flights a day" meant in each direction, or total. Does anyone know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.