Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there no/extremely limited upgrade availability on PS routes?

Why is there no/extremely limited upgrade availability on PS routes?

Old Nov 23, 15, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Question Why is there no/extremely limited upgrade availability on PS routes?

Just called the premier desk to upgrade my partner and I to J on a EWR-LAX flight, not a single seat booked in business first, but they put us on the wait list. I asked the agent and she said that since they took away JFK, they haven't been releasing many upgrades on the PS routes. What's the deal? Anyone have any insight?
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bryan7007 View Post
Just called the premier desk to upgrade my partner and I to J on a EWR-LAX flight, not a single seat booked in business first, but they put us on the wait list. I asked the agent and she said that since they took away JFK, they haven't been releasing many upgrades on the PS routes. What's the deal? Anyone have any insight?
They are indeed being extremely stingy with it. There was a little bonanza when they first moved over from JFK to EWR, but yes - I have looked a little and pretty much see R=0 for every single flight...even the early-morning flights or the redeyes.

Good luck on the waitlist...
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:59 pm

R is very hard in advance but not impossible - just snagged one yesterday.

No real rhyme or visible reason to it.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan7007

They are indeed being extremely stingy with it. There was a little bonanza when they first moved over from JFK to EWR, but yes - I have looked a little and pretty much see R=0 for every single flight...even the early-morning flights or the redeyes.

Good luck on the waitlist...
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Yeah, I was looking for inventory for a few dates in September and couldn't find a single flight with R>0. As the dates approach, eventually some inventory will probably open up for flights with less demand, such as 6am departures or late morning/early afternoon departures from JFK, but it's a guessing game at this point.
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bryan7007 View Post
This started before the switch from JFK to EWR. UA significantly reduced advance releases of upgrade space, stopped opening R at T-24, and are selling the BF seats at check-in rather than upgrading elites. It's one of the most significant devaluations of MP over the past two years.

Saver awards - particularly in J - are now virtually impossible on ps as well.
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
It's really ridiculous.
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This started before the switch from JFK to EWR. UA significantly reduced advance releases of upgrade space, stopped opening R at T-24, and are selling the BF seats at check-in rather than upgrading elites. It's one of the most significant devaluations of MP over the past two years.

Saver awards - particularly in J - are now virtually impossible on ps as well.
agree. UA gives out all these miles, GPUs and RPUs, but you can hardly use them.

It's pure marketing genius. pure genius by UA.
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
agree. UA gives out all these miles, GPUs and RPUs, but you can hardly use them.

It's pure marketing genius. pure genius by UA.
Another reason I moved most of my flights away from UA. No more upgrade lotteries or waiting for a seat to get sold right out from under elites. A nice combo of WN for short hauls, AA/DL for medium and VX and B6 first/mint for cross country has made my flying a lot easier.
Old Nov 23, 15, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I applied a RPU LAX-EWR for mid December Travel. Chose a flight with 28 BF seats vs one with 16 BF seats to increase my chances of R opening up at some point. In the past when row 9 was a yoga studio I always cleared quickly. Now, I just sweat it out..

Last edited by goalie; Nov 23, 15 at 10:19 pm Reason: Comment about thread title no longer needed after title change
Old Nov 23, 15, 10:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Not only R is virtually impossible to find, even PN is rare on p.s.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 23, 15 at 10:25 pm Reason: Response to deleted quoted post removed
Old Nov 23, 15, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K mm / AA EXPPlat / Marriott Lifetime Plat , Hilton Diamond (dropping to gold for 2017)
Most of the hub to hubs seem plagued by this. ORD-SFO is also particularly devoid of R. I wish GPUs and RPUs cleared into PN. As it stands they are too hard to use.
Old Nov 23, 15, 11:37 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
P.S. Premium Service Flights EWR to LAX/SFO do not have complimentary Elite Upgrades on any flight at anytime for any Elite..This is a BusinessFirst Service and MP Elite are not given complementary upgrades on these 2 routes..You must buy the full fare or use you miles to be placed on waitlist to upgrade..All P.S. flights have been full in Business First that i have been on in the last month.
Old Nov 24, 15, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I just cleared an RPU on Sunday for a mid December redeye from SFO. I chose a flight that had 28 Business Class seats and that seemed to be the most wide open and I've been sweating it for the last couple of months.
Old Nov 24, 15, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER View Post
P.S. Premium Service Flights EWR to LAX/SFO do not have complimentary Elite Upgrades on any flight at anytime for any Elite..This is a BusinessFirst Service and MP Elite are not given complementary upgrades on these 2 routes..You must buy the full fare or use you miles to be placed on waitlist to upgrade..All P.S. flights have been full in Business First that i have been on in the last month.
So much for the "nobody will fly ps to EWR" crowd, huh?
Old Nov 24, 15, 7:40 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I would guess that until one could forecast accurate demand for the product, they would be conservative on upgrade space. They need to have a large historical sample size, on all different days. Once they have that, they can better allocate the resources based on projected demand. Remember this is no longer a hub to a spoke flight, but a hub to hub with feeds on both ends, so their ability to sell the product closer in has a much larger potential customer base. Yea they lose some JFK peeps, but they pick up all of the east coast connecting traffic as potential buyers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: