Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 21, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
The point I'm making is that for these few sets of flights that arrive so early into EWR why not open up the Polaris Lounge for them. No one is going to be using it, since European flights land later and Asian flights tend to land in the afternoon IIRC. IIRC the Polaris lounge would probably be closed that early in the morning so having these people use it would be a nice gesture on the part of UA.

All I'm saying is that for the half of the J travellers who find it gross being not having a shower in over a day why not make this option open for them?

-James
It's a sub five hour flight. Not sure how you have reached the conclusion of not having a shower in over a day.

Opening up PL access to certain domestic travelers (J, TPS, red-eye flights only) is a slippery slope. Also, there are a good number of morning bank long haul flights departing EWR. Arriving UA pax would only have access to PL if they have onward travel.
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:02 pm

AA manages that slope just fine
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
AA manages that slope just fine
The OP had proposed opening up PL access to red-eye flights only. Is AA doing that? No. The slope I had referred to: assigning access only to certain flights on a particular route.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
looks like LAX-BOS will only be 2x daily this summer, down from 3x last year.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
The OP had proposed opening up PL access to red-eye flights only. Is AA doing that? No. The slope I had referred to: assigning access only to certain flights on a particular route.
yes, of course. my mistake.
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
EWR-LAX on an A320

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Several flights today SFO-BOS-SFO with 753. UA better fixes this quickly. I am seeing a lot of 752s elsewhere in the domestic network ... they must be paying a fortune in comps for the folks who got downgraded 28 --> 24 plus the 24 for not having lie-flat.
Is UA600 EWR-LAX at 8:00pm this evening really on an A320? That would really be bad if this was a last minute swap off a 752.
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
Is UA600 EWR-LAX at 8:00pm this evening really on an A320?
Lots of odd data in that flight status. Says 752 in some places. says is 11 of 12 and only 1 on the waitlist? Very confused data
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Is UA600 EWR-LAX at 8:00pm this evening really on an A320? That would really be bad if this was a last minute swap off a 752.
sure enough ...an A320 ... what a nice surprise. Huge mess this p.m. in EWR ... my flight was 90 mins late due to ATC delays up and down the East coast.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Well it is enroute and apparently it really is an A320

silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Wow that's a new low.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:37 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
In keeping with FlyerTalk tradition, what was the compensation offered?
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:43 am

Unhappy Any comp for 787 to 777 downgrade?

I had a 787 SFO->EWR. These have the Polaris suite seats vs the old lie flats. I went out of my way to book that (and it also cost about $700 more, though I later got a $525 ETC because the price dropped). Now the flight was switched to a 777 and I went from aisle access to window (same seat number). Was lucky I was checking, as there was on communication regarding the equipment change.

Unfortunately, the surrounding 787 flights are $1000+ more and because the flight has happened yet, customer care won't do anything. Am I out of options? I guess the product I bought no longer exists at the price I paid.

The oddest thing is I'm unable to price my existing fare on ITA even with unavailable flights shown.
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
sure enough ...an A320 ... what a nice surprise. Huge mess this p.m. in EWR ... my flight was 90 mins late due to ATC delays up and down the East coast.
And the madness continued, as that A320 returned to EWR as UA 1165, the 12:15am redeye this morning. Anyone out there buy a seat on that flight expecting a decent sleep on a flatbed seat? Good grief.....
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
And the madness continued, as that A320 returned to EWR as UA 1165, the 12:15am redeye this morning. Anyone out there buy a seat on that flight expecting a decent sleep on a flatbed seat? Good grief.....

Nasty!
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This should more or less answer why UA doesn't add p.s. service to [favorite long domestic route]. Seems like competing with B6 in BOS is a little far to stretch the fleet.

Search this Thread