Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the "science" of selling check-in upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the "science" of selling check-in upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dhuey
The upgrade boards for SFO flights are pretty comical, especially for flights to other hubs. Here's a the board for a 1:04 pm flight to IAH today:

United FirstŪ: 12 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 11

2 upgrades cleared; 15 on waitlist. Silvers don't have a prayer.
That's a mild list!

ORD-LAX had 56 on the waitlist last week on a 737!

Here's what I'll give UA credit for -- with cheaper first class seats, I am booking into first if I cannot clear upgrades with instruments. Not every time (sometimes I am happy to remain in coach with E+ and wifi), but if I need first, I get it right away and never leave ti to chance. That's a whole new world for me.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by rasheed
Just to clarify on AA's policies on check-in upgrades for domestic routes.

Prior to T-24, only fare difference upgrades are typically available unless elites which can waitlist for E500 upgrades (which are accrued and sold at the specified discounted price). Top level EXP do not pay for domestic upgrades.

At T-24, there is no TOD concept, but LFBUs can happen if no elites at any level are still awaiting/waitlisted an upgrade. LFBUs are typically priced at $45 per 500 miles (sometimes rounded to nearest 250 miles distance). LFBUs are only available/sold to non-elites.

I am not sure about any dilution of freebies for upgrades on AA currently. In fact, as of the integration date, many avenues of free upgrades on certain flights are now gone/poof.

AA did sign a plusupgrade contract, but haven't seen much action and there are more 'flat' rates for international flights available at the gate/kiosk based on availability.

Rasheed
AA now provides free upgrades to elites on flights under 500 miles but none of these flights have meal service so really, F is a joke--limited to packaged snacks and in some cases a single drink (e.g., MIA MCO).
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's a mild list!

ORD-LAX had 56 on the waitlist last week on a 737!
It's Saturday. Like you, I have seen >50 on the upgrade list for a single-aisle plane, and with all but 1-3 F passengers having already checked in.

I'll bet there have been some funny moments with new Silver "elites" who don't understand how this game works. In 50th place on the waitlist, they walk up to the gate counter and ask if they can pre-select their dinner entrée. Oh how nice this F upgrade will be now that I'm Premier Silver!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by dhuey
BTW, after this Denver trip I'll earn Silver status. Thus I can look forward to free upgrades on my SFO-DEN itineraries, based on my new elite status.

Kidding! I would probably be 50th on the upgrade waitlists, with 2 F seats available for Premier upgrades.
D'OH...you won the Bozo prize. The goal at UA now is to never ever fly more than 24,999 miles so you can stay a 0K and enjoy all the benefits of cheap TODs. When I was last a 1P, I didn't get UDUs and never got any TOD offer

(wheas as my 0K wife was flying F constantly with the TODs...that I was paying I was paying for )

As they say, if you can't beat 'em; join 'em....and definitely stay under 25k miles.

Congrats and good luck with Silver status...hopefully you can springboard upwards.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
I just ran into a case where a co-worker and I were traveling on the same flight from IAD to LAX. He's 1K and I'm Gold. He's a VP, and I'm a Director. At check-in, there was 1 seat left. I was offered an upgrade for $249, he wasn't offered anything - we had the exact same airfare (he booked 2 days before I did).

Debated on taking it, but decided not to (I sleep better in a coach window seat than in a FC seat...).

Neither of us understand their logic...

Also, on the return, 59 of 124 coach pax were "upgrade eligible" for the 1 seat available...

J

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2015 at 10:46 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by compubit
I just ran into a case where a co-worker and I were traveling on the same flight from IAD to LAX. He's 1K and I'm Gold. He's a VP, and I'm a Director. At check-in, there was 1 seat left. I was offered an upgrade for $249, he wasn't offered anything - we had the exact same airfare (he booked 2 days before I did).
J
This kind of crap is what really ticks me off with United now. I can put up with a lot of things, but this is just unacceptable. Wonder if any GS were on board and similarly denied the upgrade opportunity?

Thanks for posting it.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This kind of crap is what really ticks me off with United now. I can put up with a lot of things, but this is just unacceptable. Wonder if any GS were on board and similarly denied the upgrade opportunity?

Thanks for posting it.
Misplaced anger.

If your company is flying LAX-IAD coach, be ticked off at your company, not UA. Your competition is the companies that are buying their biz people J, not the airline. If its important to you that you have Google on your business card, rank that against coach travel accordingly

If you are on your own dime, you are competing with the same and have to decide what J is worth to you. In this world of load factors, few will be upgrading into J on CPUs or XPUs for that matter
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Misplaced anger.

If your company is flying LAX-IAD coach, be ticked off at your company, not UA. Your competition is the companies that are buying their biz people J, not the airline. If its important to you that you have Google on your business card, rank that against coach travel accordingly

If you are on your own dime, you are competing with the same and have to decide what J is worth to you. In this world of load factors, few will be upgrading into J on CPUs or XPUs for that matter
Misplaced comprehension.

I am honestly confused by what you wrote. The discussion is around 1Ks not being offered the same opportunity to purchase an upgrade during the check in period 24 hrs before the flight. This is not at all a discussion about CPU/XPU availability.

I am very capable of making purchase decisions and I know how I value what J is worth to me on various flights.
I purchase J fares when it makes sense to me.

What is not acceptable is United purposefully excluding me from having the same opportunity as other passengers to purchase upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
Under your proposal, a 737-900 with only three paid F customers and three elites who are 'due' for an upgrade could go out with a jam-packed Y cabin, 6/20 in F, and any number of standbys / displaced pax sitting in the terminal hoping to get on a later flight.

CPUs, especially when processed after all other efforts to fill the F cabin have failed, give the airline the opportunity to 'surprise and delight' some elites with an F seat while simultaneously freeing up seats in Y for standby passengers / walk-up purchases.

Disclaimer: In 2015, as a Premier Gold, I've been upgraded on ~41% of eligible flight segments (i.e., domestic flights with an F cabin where I'm not already booked in F). I know this is highly dependent on routes and dates, but I'm pretty happy with the system as it stands.
Under my proposal, elites would get more upgrade certs, but yes if there is a flight where not enough elites want to use a cert for a flight, those can be filled with low price TOD's or they can go out empty. If Y is oversold, do OP-ups. In a case like this it's pretty clear that the folks sitting in Y on that plane don't really value a seat in FC for whatever reason. This would be helpful data for UA. It tells them to lower the FC ticket premium if they want to fill that cabin.

UA can keep their "surprise and delight". I would rather have some increased certainty on upgrades. But then again I don't have nearly your success rate on CPU's. As a Plat in 2015, I am running at roughly 10% CPU success for eligible flight segments. If I was getting upgraded at your rate, I might like the current system too
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT

What is not acceptable is United purposefully excluding me from having the same opportunity as other passengers to purchase upgrades.
It's a simple matter of TRYING not to cannabalize paid F revenue. The fact that it upsets (otherwise) loyal elites is seemingly lost on an airline that believes its customers have no choice.

Dave
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Misplaced comprehension.

I am honestly confused by what you wrote. The discussion is around 1Ks not being offered the same opportunity to purchase an upgrade during the check in period 24 hrs before the flight. This is not at all a discussion about CPU/XPU availability.

I am very capable of making purchase decisions and I know how I value what J is worth to me on various flights.
I purchase J fares when it makes sense to me.

What is not acceptable is United purposefully excluding me from having the same opportunity as other passengers to purchase upgrades..
Very well said. This is one of the primary reasons my spend on UA will be half of what it was each year from 2007-2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.