Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA offer of charter ORD-HNL for feedback on how to "transform their business class"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA offer of charter ORD-HNL for feedback on how to "transform their business class"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA, SPG Plat, United 1K, Avis Chairman
I received this offer as well yesterday and wondered who their real target audience would be for this ORD-HNL flight. I would assume they would want some of us who have flown other carriers(foreign and domestic) in the biz product.

I completed the survey and will wait to hear back from them.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sbm12
How long? The company did a similar set of tests for new biz seats a year ago. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-research.html
I'm talking about the company reaching out to lost customers, not the focus of the research. When you ask your most fervent loyalists what you can do better you're going to get a less actionable / valuable data set.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
When you ask your most fervent loyalists what you can do better you're going to get a less actionable / valuable data set.
And how is this being measured? By the self-proclaimed "bestest, loyalest 1Ks" here self-reporting or actually looking at who UA is talking to. If corporate accounts are down odds are the company is talking to the contact, not the passengers. And there have been plenty of reports in the past year or so of such contacts being made.

United is far from perfect but to suggest that the sales team is just sitting in closed offices all day and not reaching out to customers seems quite a stretch to me.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Charter a whole 747? Who is flying in economy and why? I hope they make some money on cargo...? Will it have new seats or is this just a soft product eval? They surely have enough feedback on the current hard/soft product.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Charter a whole 747? Who is flying in economy and why? I hope they make some money on cargo...? Will it have new seats or is this just a soft product eval? They surely have enough feedback on the current hard/soft product.
Maybe they will fly a 747 instead of a domestic 777 one day for a regular rotation and not a "charter".
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
When's this charter supposed to run? Curious if it runs same time as EWR preview
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson
When's this charter supposed to run? Curious if it runs same time as EWR preview
November 16-18
Guessing since I haven't heard back I have not been chosen
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
Better still. How about fly the competition? Build a few mock-ups in Chicago. You don't need a chartered 744 to Hawaii to figure out that 2-4-2 dorm seating and crap food is not a competitive Business Class product.
It will be interesting if there are some 'test seats' installed (LH did this on scheduled flights before introducing their new J - they were in a curtained section and those sitting in them had to sign an NDA -

- it could also be that they want to create some empathy by showing top fliers/influencers how difficult it is to offer good service - i.e. - create edible meals presented with some panache inflight -- it reminds me of when BA had Hester Blumenthal create some special meals and then serve them on TV -- the basic message was "we are doing as well as we can with Hester as the shill.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:02 pm

There's a Q and A from Oct 14 on the UnitedAirtime website with chef Gerry that says this:

"We’re hosting a mobile test kitchen — a Chicago-to-Hawaii flight that will have a select group of passengers to test new food concepts. We’ll be studying their eating habits and appetites. We’re then going to apply this information to the types of foods and service we provide in the future."

Sounds like it's all about the meal service.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There's a Q and A from Oct 14 on the UnitedAirtime website with chef Gerry that says this:

"We’re hosting a mobile test kitchen — a Chicago-to-Hawaii flight that will have a select group of passengers to test new food concepts. We’ll be studying their eating habits and appetites. We’re then going to apply this information to the types of foods and service we provide in the future."

Sounds like it's all about the meal service.
Will be interesting to see what comes out of it -- an opportunity to be creative and or an exercise in gaining empathy and underscoring 'the limits' of providing quality catering.

As SFO777 the UA execs will have done some 'prep' by flying JL, NH, CX, SQ, LH, LX, KE, QF, AF, EK, QR, EY, etc -- so they can see what others are doing first.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I- it could also be that they want to create some empathy by showing top fliers/influencers how difficult it is to offer good service - i.e. - create edible meals presented with some panache inflight -- it reminds me of when BA had Hester Blumenthal create some special meals and then serve them on TV -- the basic message was "we are doing as well as we can with Hester as the shill.
Well, this simply won't work with just about any traveler who has flown in the premium cabins of OAL who do care about their F&B offerings and presentation.

I agree that it isn't simple, but it cannot be that difficult for most of the major non-USA airlines are able to do it regularly.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:19 am

really hope they come up with something better than the school bus currently flying that route. And hope the new and improved service is also extended to the iad-hnl route which used to be on the 767 but in the last year or so they got rid of the lie flats.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by be001
really hope they come up with something better than the school bus currently flying that route. And hope the new and improved service is also extended to the iad-hnl route which used to be on the 767 but in the last year or so they got rid of the lie flats.
False. The IAD-HNL non-stop has been 767-400 with lie-flats for years . Seasonally (now til summer with the exception of Christmas weeks) it only operates 1 day per week. Summer season it operates daily.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Project Cobalt signs at ORD - Are they regarding the new product?

In ORD terminal C at the top of the escalators are people holding signs for Project Cobalt. To the left of the customer service area are large signs for it as well. Anyone in a position to say what it is? Wonder if it is one of the invitation only flights to evaluate the new product.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RockinRon
Wonder if it is one of the invitation only flights to evaluate the new product.
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.