Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I get mileage credit by checking in, but not boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I had a one way ticket from Los Angeles to Houston through Denver on United. I had to cancel my trip. The ticket cost was $149, so there doesn't seem to be any point in me canceling since the $200 change fee is more than the ticket cost.

Is there any way for me to get the mileage credit for the ticket that I paid for but am not using? I assume if I just check in but don't show up, that they will not give me the credit.

What if I showed up at the airport, boarded the plane, but then got off? If that worked, I'm sure I would only get credit for the LA to Denver part.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Essentially no. If you want to go through the hassle of getting on the flight and then off-loading yourself, thereby hugely inconveniencing everyone else on the flight by delaying take-off, you might get the miles, but probably not. Would it be worth the hassle on your part and the PITA to everyone else? Certainly not.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking more along the lines of turning around right when I got on the jetway. They've already scanned my boarding pass at that point.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Rumpleteazer.

As far as I know there is not a way for this to happen. But it might be worth while to see if there is a delay on the UA flight, and if so, cancel and get a refund. There is also potential for a schedule change depending on how far out your flight is.

As this is specific to UA, we're relocating your post to the UA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

If you boarded the plane, then got off, they'd have to offload you, basically that notes you are not on board. I'm sure you can try and sneak by the gate agent going out. But then you'd just screw up the count, and they'd figure it out anyway most likely. So not only would you still not get the mileage, you will also likely succeed in delaying the flight, possibly resulting in others misconnecting to their destinations.

This is going to be a waste of your time. Even if you were to get the mileage after all this, if UA wants, they could still audit your account and close it, take away all mileage, status, etc. Unlikely for one instance, but still possible.

In other words, likely not worth it. You bought a ticket with terms that have a cancelation fee and doesn't allow you to refund if a no show. Mileage terms require you to fly to earn. It's as simple as that. Trying to game the system like this may allow you to win a battle (though not likely), but ultimately you will lose the war anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumpleteazer
I was thinking more along the lines of turning around right when I got on the jetway. They've already scanned my boarding pass at that point.
The gate agent will either stop you from leaving or offload you in computer. Your challenge is to turn around and leave without gate agent noticing. You probably need an accomplice to create a distraction so that you can leave undetected. Final headcount can still be an issue but I noticed that it is not always done.

Last edited by TerryK; Oct 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by TerryK
The gate agent will either stop you from leaving or offload you in computer. Your challenge is to turn around and leave without gate agent noticing. You probably need an accomplice to create a distraction so that you can leave undetected.
But as others pointed out, the head count will be wrong, so it's likely they'll offload him anyway, and in the meantime, he's held up the plane while they figure things out, inconveniencing everyone on board.

Not cool.

If someone wants to cheat the system, they should find a way to do it without causing issues for others. Better yet, don't cheat. Take advantage of loopholes maybe, but if a passenger plays by the rules, it's easier to take the high ground and insist that the airline does as well.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you could do this, mileage runs would become just buying the lowest CPM ticket systemwide.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Whether you are on the jetway or sitting in a seat, it's the same thing. You'll inconvenience a lot of people and generate extra costs. Uncool and you won't get the miles anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I had a one way ticket from Los Angeles to Houston through Denver on United. I had to cancel my trip. The ticket cost was $149, so there doesn't seem to be any point in me canceling since the $200 change fee is more than the ticket cost.
Keep an eye out as the departure date gets closer.

If there's a Weather Waiver issued for LAX, DEN, or IAH you can call and cancel the trip and get a refund.

Keep an eye out on the flight status the day of departure. If there's any sort of flight delay, you can claim a "trip in vain" and possibly get a refund.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1k
How is getting on then quickly getting off delaying anything?

I did it one time. I got on and checked my phone and had an emergency and had to leave.

I told no one and just left. No one stopped me or asked. I walked out past the gate and everyone was busy.

I got the mileage and credit. Remember, many people in economy change seats and no one cares or asks or tracks where you are.

Maybe you will have an issue, but it is possible you will not.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

My flight returned to gate to offload the passenger's checked luggage when he walked off after boarding. It was an international flight though. A full 747 delayed for one and a half hour!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15

I did it one time. I got on and checked my phone and had an emergency and had to leave.

I told no one and just left. No one stopped me or asked. I walked out past the gate and everyone was busy.
Once on a really early flight I forgot to pick up my carry on before I boarded, then when I went to put it in the bin realized I didn't have it. When I went back out to the gate, the agent stopped me on the way out and made me hand over my bp, which she then returned after I'd grabbed my bag and come back to re-board.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....I told no one and just left. No one stopped me or asked. I walked out past the gate and everyone was busy....
You got lucky.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

I got the mileage and credit. Remember, many people in economy change seats and no one cares or asks or tracks where you are.

Maybe you will have an issue, but it is possible you will not.
Oh come one really? When they do a final count - which they do 99% of the time - and see you are missing - it's a real security issue and also multiple other issues - and then you delay the flight and everyone else on it while they try and figure out why you aren't on the plane even though you scanned your BP - all for mileage credit? That's just wrong, IMO....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.