Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I get mileage credit by checking in, but not boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I get mileage credit by checking in, but not boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by XCstud
If the ticket cost $149, the max mileage you'd get out of it is probably ~1300 - 1400 if you are a 1K or GS. If you don't have any status, you are looking at 600ish miles. Is it really worth a trip to the airport and the hassle to try to board the plane for those miles?
I entirely agree - all that effort for 600 miles? Sounds like a total waste of time. If it was upwards of 5,000 or more miles, then perhaps it would be worth the effort, but 600? Cut your losses and move on.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Maybe you can ask the gate agent to scan your bp and let you go?
That's ridiculous. The GA is required to offload the pax from the flight if he or she leaves the aircraft.

Miles are earned BIS. Period.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Oh come one really? When they do a final count - which they do 99% of the time - and see you are missing - it's a real security issue and also multiple other issues - and then you delay the flight and everyone else on it while they try and figure out why you aren't on the plane even though you scanned your BP - all for mileage credit? That's just wrong, IMO....
Yeah. Whatever, man. I am telling you what happened to me. I certainly don't make it a habit to run off flights.
I had a family member dying so left in a hurry. It was not a "sneak off". I did not do it for credit, so your assumption is JUST WRONG.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Flight do get delayed from bad headcounts. Seen it. More than once.

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Yeah. Whatever, man. I am telling you what happened to me. I certainly don't make it a habit to run off flights.
I had a family member dying so left in a hurry. It was not a "sneak off". I did not do it for credit, so your assumption is JUST WRONG.
Sorry for your loss. Not going to question many decisions made under such circumstances.
Originally Posted by kettle1
First off I do not check bags, if that matters on a domestic USA flt. I do not think it does.

Second, I am usually called to go to another city for a major problem within my company. I leave one plane, buy a new ticket and board the other flight.

I am already past the TSA - so I am cleared to board whatever flt I want to board. What is the problem?

This happens many times. I have offices all over the USA. If I am flying LAS-DEN who cares if I get off and fly to SFO?
Who cares? I'll bet most, probably all of us here, have at some point been delayed at the gate because the head count was wrong. Maybe you didn't realize that was the reason. Mid-level elites like me are usually seated in just the right place (first rows of E+) to see and hear the conversations between ground & plane crew on 757s. It happens.

Even if you toss aside the safety arguments, there's still a good chance that exiting the plane without the awareness of the crew is going to be an inconvenience for a whole lot of people. The fact that the passengers might not know, doesn't make it better. That fact that it might not always happen, or maybe happens only 1 in 5 times, doesn't make it any less wrong.

You could hand over the boarding pass to an agent at any gate, tell them an emergency came up and you won't be on that flight. It's not that big a deal to do the right thing.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 13, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: toning it down
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
I didn't assume anything - I just responded to what you posted - and what you did although understandable is nothing at all like OP was suggesting- and your post seemed to suggest it was ok so I took issue with it - now that you provide more details its more clear.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2015 at 10:38 pm Reason: overly personal content deleted;discuss the issues, not the posters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.