Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle

Was on UA 907 last night (ORD - FRA), and my flight attendant said there was an internal memo outlining a planned coffee change coming on November 1st.

This was after I rejected a second cup of the swill with breakfast (only drank the first for the caffeine fix).

I don't know how true this is, but she sounded confident when she spoke and commented on how much all the FAs are looking forward to it.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Please, please, please.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:52 am

Sounds like a change I will like!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:18 am

Easy thing to do. Cannot believe the cost savings was significant especially compared to all the ill will caused by the change to current swill.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
And how many people stopped flying UA because of the coffee? My guess is less than a handful, if any. So it made complete business sense to UA to do this...ill will aside.

-RM
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
And how many people stopped flying UA because of the coffee? My guess is less than a handful, if any. So it made complete business sense to UA to do this...ill will aside.

-RM
That is a horrific attitude to have toward one's customers. "Treat them just badly enough that they won't leave."

How many pax quit flying UA because a single phone agent was rude to them, or because a single flight was late?

The decision to switch is typically based on an accumulation of factors.

I for one am delighted to hear the end of the evil brown swill is nigh.

Originally Posted by SunLover
The FT UA coffee discussion always cracks me up. If you are in domestic F and the FA brews you a fresh pot (and you add some alcohol) it can be decent.
You have low standards for coffee drinkability. (This is not an insult. My GF will drink the UA swill, too.) I will not. I carry Via when flying UA.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The FT UA coffee discussion always cracks me up. If you are in domestic F and the FA brews you a fresh pot (and you add some alcohol) it can be decent. Served from a rolling cart and you are the last row in Y it is going to be mud at that point no matter the grinds.

I can tell instantly in F when being handed the mug if the coffee will be good or not. Cold to the touch is NG. The better FA's know to:

1) fill the mug with hot water to heat it
2) wait at least 30 seconds
3) dump out the water and add the coffee. @:-)

Hot is good. Strong is good. These are universal truths. Just sayin'

SunLover
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:46 am

-RM
I wouldn't quit flying United because of the swill. I do fly other airlines when the choice is between United and some other. I wouldn't blame bad coffee on any of the past ills which have befallen United these last years. Didn't help them any that is for sure.

The good thing about saving a penny on a cup of coffee is that you can count the cups of coffee you served and calculate a savings. It is hard to see an of incremental increase in sales and translate that increase into an equivalent increase in profits. Cutting fractions of a fraction of a percent to serve an inferior product to make more money doesn't help a business in the long haul.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

-RM
Sadly, thats the attitude the previous person took.

In my opinion, its a great to see the new person understand that the coffee is bad. He's changing it! It was also a personal deal between Smisek and Freshpoop.

And yes, the coffee is changing! Internally its been confirmed.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doubtful that anybody jumps ship over the coffee or comes onboard because it is improved. But, multiple things add up.

The Y problem is dealt with not by changing the coffee, but by changing the pot. It's perfectly possible to use a larger thermos that can sit on a cart and still be quite hot by the time it arrives at the last row.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Wasn't the vendor of "poo brew" and "new poo" a crony of SMI/J??
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Anybody hear what is going to be served instead of the fresh poo garbage? Any guesses?

The "did anyone leave because of coffee" argument has been done to death. I will mention that it actually cost UA money with me. I am sure the double baileys cost more to them then a cup of decaf.

Speaking of which, any info if they will actually brew decaf again? Or are we to be stuck with instant decaf swill...?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
"Yeah, but"

I *still* won't touch the stuff if it's made with system water--on board.
And I doubt we'll ever see coffee brewed any other way.
Just as I will accept bottled water only, so no hot stuff for Moi.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a horrific attitude to have toward one's customers. "Treat them just badly enough that they won't leave."
This honestly sums up UA's business model. Why do you think the United Club in Narita is the best worldwide, when the ones in the US are pure {poor}?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2015 at 11:34 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:28 am

"On coffee ... " "Munoz wasn't divulging specifics but said he plans "early wins" for customers and employees — things that don't cost the company much but are meaningful to people. For customers, in addition to upgraded coffee ..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.