Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sulley
I wouldn't mind seeing Illy or Lavazza.
now THAT would get me to actually order coffee on United!

and also, please bring Espresso back!

anything is better than the brown tasteless junk they are serving right now.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:38 pm

This thread is hilarious. Americans discussing which coffee is better on United??

No. 1 - what Americans drink is not coffee.
No. 2 - you can't get decent coffee on a plane. Even Qantas can't make coffee on a plane.
No 3 - if you want anything even resembling coffee on a plane, you wouldn't fly an American airline.

And before you flame me - yes! I'm an Australian coffee snob. Hey, there are worse people.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
This thread is hilarious. Americans discussing which coffee is better on United??

No. 2 - you can't get decent coffee on a plane. Even Qantas can't make coffee on a plane.
No 3 - if you want anything even resembling coffee on a plane, you wouldn't fly an American airline.

And before you flame me - yes! I'm an Australian coffee snob. Hey, there are worse people.
Haha I don't think anyone is going to feel offended - unless the coffee doesn't change
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

#1: really? I buy Lavazza in the US and think it drinks just fine. Slightly biased here my Aussie friend?
#2: really? Swiss has Nespresso which is quite good IMHO.
#3: That is sadly true
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:43 pm

I'd be very happy with a return of the Starbucks blend they used to serve. I don't consider Dunkin Donuts coffee that much of a step up from the current awful swill.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I don't consider Dunkin Donuts coffee that much of a step up from the current awful swill.
When I first tried Dunkin Donuts coffee, it had the same distinctive taste as Folgers. Then I realized that it was made in the same plant and is by the same parent company: JM Smuckers. Even Folgers beats Freshpoo hands down...even with there being 10% Kona added. It's still poo with 10% Kona mixed in.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
AS serves Starbucks as well. But it's possible that AS signed before the DL deal. It's also possible that UA is just making that up.

When they moved to Freshpoo, one of the propaganda bits the HouCrew tried to throw out there was that Starbucks was getting out of the in-flight coffee business. Of course shortly thereafter, AS signed, and then DL signed.

Fortunately this sort of communications strategy only works when they have full control over the media and people's access to information.

Another one they tried this approach with was when they moved to Tito's. They floated a rumor that Absolut was no longer making minis. Around that time, DL had begun the move from Skyy to Absolut, and hasn't changed since, an DL serves in minis as well.
For what its worth, I remember the justification being that Starbucks dramatically increased the price for the UA contract renewal, and I suspect you may be conflating the vodka transition with what we heard when UA took Glenlivet off the aircraft (that Glenlivet was no longer producing minis). We still have no drinkable Scotch on board, despite an abortive attempt to cross-market with Glenfiddich a few years ago.

Who knows what the truth really is... We all know now that there was some inside baseball going on with the coffee contract, and the terrible coffee went on to become symbolic of the entire merger.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by channa
AS serves Starbucks as well. But it's possible that AS signed before the DL deal. It's also possible that UA is just making that up.

When they moved to Freshpoo, one of the propaganda bits the HouCrew tried to throw out there was that Starbucks was getting out of the in-flight coffee business. Of course shortly thereafter, AS signed, and then DL signed.

Fortunately this sort of communications strategy only works when they have full control over the media and people's access to information.

Another one they tried this approach with was when they moved to Tito's. They floated a rumor that Absolut was no longer making minis. Around that time, DL had begun the move from Skyy to Absolut, and hasn't changed since, an DL serves in minis as well.
AS signed before Starbucks and I was told the deal is exclusive by Delta

For what it's worth, United never said Starbucks was getting out of the inflight coffee business.

Lots of misinformation here.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Even Qantas can't make coffee on a plane.
Why would anyone expect Qantas to be able to make good coffee? Is the land down under suddenly famous for its coffee and not its kangaroos?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:27 pm

I haven't seen a kangaroo for a couple of years. But I have an excellent coffee, or several, every day of the week.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
For what its worth, I remember the justification being that Starbucks dramatically increased the price for the UA contract renewal, and I suspect you may be conflating the vodka transition with what we heard when UA took Glenlivet off the aircraft (that Glenlivet was no longer producing minis). We still have no drinkable Scotch on board, despite an abortive attempt to cross-market with Glenfiddich a few years ago.

Who knows what the truth really is... We all know now that there was some inside baseball going on with the coffee contract, and the terrible coffee went on to become symbolic of the entire merger.
+1 on the bold, it was for me at least, a telling sign of where things were going. Especially when the coffee was clearly a very bad disaster, yet they would not bail on Freshpoo or back down. First they tried a new blend (and actually invited folks to come try the stuff in the air, actually provided tickets) then when that did not work went to the Kona crap. Never say you were wrong is sort of the post 3/12 UA montra.

That said, I enjoy several Glenfiddichs on each of my VX flights, perhaps they have a special stash of them that the distillery hid from United.

I might add, that I hope that Oscar reverses the move to take the expresso machines of the planes. The thought that espresso machines would be rolled out fleet wide was one of my "changes you will like" Not only did Jeff not do this, he pulled them from CO.

When Jeff goes to hell, he will be forced to drink only freshpoo, and eat on International Y food (with a 8-10 hour break in the free food where they try to sell him a salty snack box. )
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by EWR764

LOL you are right - none of what was put forth as the truth is actually true - what IS true is that UA was completely focused on cost reduction vs. actual quality - and that's why we have what we do today - crap coffee, no wine list in first or business class, and no proper drinks (and slimline seats)... The coffee "contract" is exactly what went wrong with UA - I hope it changes soon....
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I've had quite good coffee on QF -- individual press pot in C -- assume they still do this on long hauls? The Aussies (esp Melbournians) are quite proud of their coffee tradition.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

No 1: If you took San Fran and Seattle out of "America" 20 years ago, I might agree with you, today in the blue part of the country, you can get good coffee many places.
No. 2: The Japanese Airlines serve very good coffee, it can be done, and their coffee is even good in Y.
No. 3: VX has good coffee, try it some time.

But hey, you ought to visit SF some time, we would show you some good coffee, and better yet actually drinkable beer, that does not come in a can.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
And how many people stopped flying UA because of the coffee? My guess is less than a handful, if any. So it made complete business sense to UA to do this...ill will aside.

-RM
Boy, I sure hope I won't have to be your customer. If possible, let us know who you work for because I will definitely avoid your service / product.

Talk about how to be the most "mediocre" people in the world.

The point here is not about whether people quit because of just coffee. If you can't get the simplest coffee right, what else are you trying to hide or cut corners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.