Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RUMOR] New Coffee coming to UA {updated} 1 Dec 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just because Starbucks is served on another major carrier, doesn't mean they can't also serve on UA. I have no idea what the Delta/Starbucks deal terms are, but unless there is some sort of exclusivity to it where Starbucks can't sell to another airline, there's no reason why UA couldn't serve it also.

Of course, the article in the last post says Starbucks isn't one of the 3, but gives no source or other info., other then they signed a deal with Delta. But to that, see above.
Sources told me Delta is paying a premium for an exclusive with Starbucks, excluding Alaska.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I am no coffee drinker, but for all the trash talk given towards FreshPoo, I'm surprised they managed to make it to the Final Three. Perhaps the FAs are in need of training of how to use a coffeemaker more than a new brand of coffee?

(although I feel like at this point, a change irregardless of flavor will be beneficial)
From what was posted, it didn't make it to the final three -- it was used as a control group s responses and reactions to the taste of the proposed new coffee could be gauged.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Sources told me Delta is paying a premium for an exclusive with Starbucks, excluding Alaska.
Perhaps, though I find it interesting that in the joint release that article points to, there was no mention of it being exclusive. Usually if a supplier is going to be exclusive, they make sure to communicate it very clearly.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I am no coffee drinker, but for all the trash talk given towards FreshPoo, I'm surprised they managed to make it to the Final Three. Perhaps the FAs are in need of training of how to use a coffeemaker more than a new brand of coffee?

(although I feel like at this point, a change irregardless of flavor will be beneficial)
From what was posted, it didn't make it to the final three -- it was used as a control group s responses and reactions to the taste of the proposed new coffee could be gauged.
Or do they have the ability to offer decent coffee if force/paid to do so -- just delivered bad coffee to meet UA's price point. I don't know the company beyond the bad UA coffee. I know what my gut says, but others may know more about them.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today SFO-ORD sitting in my coach seat I could see the F FA going through F with a tray of coffee in paper cups. I could see her talking to the passengers who took a cup. Of course us coach rats didn't get any of that. No upgrade for me, lowly Platinum on an E fare trying to use an RPU. Finished #6 on the list. Guess coach passengers aren't worthy of doing a taste test.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Perhaps, though I find it interesting that in the joint release that article points to, there was no mention of it being exclusive. Usually if a supplier is going to be exclusive, they make sure to communicate it very clearly.
Starbucks didn't seek to be exclusively associated with Delta.

Delta didn't want Starbucks on another US airline and is paying to block distribution to competitors, including with coadvertising.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Starbucks didn't seek to be exclusively associated with Delta.

Delta didn't want Starbucks on another US airline and is paying to block distribution to competitors, including with coadvertising.
Brilliant move on Delta's part.

I wonder how many other arrangements in other areas will come out that show how clever Delta can be when faced with a bumbling competitor like United.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
My biased opinion:
Illy ^
Starbucks
Peets ^^

Whatever the decision will be, I'm happy with the final list. But even still, I remain skeptical that the quality of the coffee served can ever be consistent. And I'll be addedly pleased if the bid winner gives out free (ground) coffee in the UC. In the PMUA days, Papa Whoever (sorry, forgot the name) gave out bags of ground coffee enough for a 12-cup coffeemaker in the RCC one year, around Christmastime, iirc.
Ahhh, Papa Nicholas. Those were the good 'ole days. I bet back then we wouldn't have expected to be yearning for what I considered at the time to be very mediocre coffee. Compared to FreshPoo, though...

Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
From the "Chicago Business Journal"

' Fresh Brew now finds itself one of three coffee vendors in contention for United's coffee business, which amounts to more than 60 million cups served annually on board. United has only said the other two finalists are global premium coffee brands. But Starbucks isn't one of them.

Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) announced a coffee dea l earlier this year with Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL).

United's coffee review process started with 17 brands, which were narrowed by United executives to nine and then the three finalists.'

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...ts-coffee.html

Last edited by sgfood; Nov 17, 2015 at 10:46 am Reason: addition
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Now, if they would start serving fresh brewed decaf again.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No longer a rumor -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-coffee.html

Will close this thread and direct folks to the new thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.