Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

After midnight arrival (such as 2AM) transcons -- Why? Who?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After midnight arrival (such as 2AM) transcons -- Why? Who?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm not sure if it still exists but four years ago I did what was then UA 225, a 10 PM IAD-SFO departure. We had really bad head wings and the flight took six hours. I got off the plane at SFO at 1:30 AM. It was absolutely brutal and it didn't help that I fell asleep on the flight and couldn't get to sleep until almost 4 AM at my hotel
Oh yeah UA225 still exists. I'll be on it next Sunday. It's a great option to have for those of us that often need to be in DC on the weekends for family obligations, but have early Monday meetings on the west coast such that the 6am isn't a possibility.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:46 pm

I just took a similar flight last week from LAX. got into EWR around 1:30am. I'd take this flight anytime over a full red eye. Typically i am done in LA by 3 or 4 in the afternoon and end up sitting around until 10pm and then the next day is awful. if i'm done at 3 or 4 i can make a 6:30 flight stay awake/doze a bit on a flight home and be in my bed by 3am and get to atleast wake up at home with my family.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Yes you arrive at 2AM, but for your body its only 11pm - so you can get a real sleep. Start the next day a bit later than normal, but you adapt and can function. These are the flights I take. I avoid red eyes at all costs.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sitting on flight right now. 19/20 paid first - TODs? One upgrade. 1K on a B fare!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Taking the SFO>BOS in Nov for a mileage run and then catching the 5am BOS>IAH to get home. Should be a fun day
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Yes you arrive at 2AM, but for your body its only 11pm - so you can get a real sleep. Start the next day a bit later than normal, but you adapt and can function. These are the flights I take. I avoid red eyes at all costs.
When it's eastbound, it's not so bad. On the other hand, I got myself stuck on an ORD-SEA flight which arrives at 2:37AM on January 3rd. I'm dreading having to get up for work the next morning already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.