Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cargo is Priority

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Cargo is Priority

UGH....arrived into SLC early today and we ended up sitting on the plane for nearly 1 hour. Pilot informed us that they have to use our gate to pull a plane in and unload cargo first. I understand cargo brings in some big bucks for UA, but if no pax on the plane, why do they have to pull it up to a gate and take up limited gate slots they have to do this, let alone, telling pax that they are basically secondary to the cargo. If UA wants to be a transport company for packages, then quit flying passengers and become the new FedEx
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: 1K
That's not even the worst. Imagine your checked bag not making it to the destination because cargo was given priority to your belongings. It happens.

Oh, and there is often an "embargo" on checked bags to South American destinations. This is so that they can transport cargo instead of excess baggage.

Both scenarios make me delighted and surprised.

Flyer Friendly
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
.... If UA wants to be a transport company for packages....
UA wishes the packages in the area above the cargo hold would quit making noises.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:48 am

Did you ask what type of "cargo". Perhaps it was MEDEVAC or deceased.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:22 am

The cargo with the highest priority is tropical fish.They have a habit of dying if left in transit.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They forgot about the self loading cargo (SLC) which seems appropriate given the aiport code !
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by hookthem
That's not even the worst. Imagine your checked bag not making it to the destination because cargo was given priority to your belongings. It happens.

Oh, and there is often an "embargo" on checked bags to South American destinations. This is so that they can transport cargo instead of excess baggage.

Both scenarios make me delighted and surprised.

Flyer Friendly
...and even worse, those "priority" baggage tags they put on your bags if you are Star Gold are the kiss of death on really hot days or when the plane is over weight. They load the bags with the "Priority Tags" last and if the plane is over weight (because of Cargo, weather, etc.) then those "priority" bags never get loaded and stay on the ground.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yeah, I was thinking maybe it was perishable cargo.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:06 pm

Sounds like you have a good thing to submit here: https://unitedairtime.com !
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Airlines will also offload/IDB/VDB passengers in order to carry extra cargo. Many of these decisions are made prior to loading the aircraft with either cargo or passengers.

Sometimes airlines see a bigger financial downside to delaying cargo than passengers (see CoC and/or oligopolization of routes). The cost to delay passengers is often very low. We are in an era when many flyers pick United because United was $20 cheaper (some studies put it as low as a few dollars) in an online search. United believes they can make up for their shortcomings on price/discounting/network size. This is one example, but it is not unique to United.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Cargo is always more important than PAX Bags for sure. Not sure about Cargo > PAX

Source: Cargo operations at IAH told me that.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
if no pax on the plane, why do they have to pull it up to a gate and take up limited gate slots they have to do this
Lack of apron parking, lack of UA equipment and personnel on the cargo ramp, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.