Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Here's some more information about our new premium-cabin seat, which will be installed on more than 200 aircraft.

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-09-1...wbody-Aircraft

Features of the new seat include:
  • All-leather seat covers in signature navy and champagne colors;
  • A patented-design tray table with tablet holder, enabling travelers to enjoy food and beverages while using their personal electronic devices;
  • An articulating seat bottom for greater comfort when reclining and an adjustable headrest;
  • In-seat universal A/C power outlets for customers to charge their devices;
  • Additional in-seat storage, including two seatback pockets and side stowage for laptops and tablets;
  • Dedicated beverage holders; and
  • Granite cocktail tables.

At 21.1 inches wide, the new United First seat is wider than the current seat and will have numerous custom-design elements and premium finishes.

The seat will debut on an Airbus A319 next week, with retrofits on A319s, A320s and many Boeing 737s and 757s through 2016.

A video of our new narrowbody cabin design is also available at http://newsroom.united.com/signaturecabindesign_video

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

New Domestic {narrowbody} F seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
A couple of things:

1) Speaking of copying the DL playbook, anyone notice the globe outline (on the airways news site) being used for bulkhead designs? They've already been using a version of this for menu covers, napkins, etc. While I get the attempt, it seems very 1995 powerpoint esque to me and whereas the DL version seems more subtle and not repeatedly used all over...they may have widgets but the outline seems to be limited to the bulkhead walls.

2) Also of note, they are testing new galley and carpet patterns. Which might finally see the end to the tired CO blue streak carpet (didn't look so great once food and dirt got mixed in and the galley floors always seemed to have duct tape covering the seams)

3) I'll reserve judgment until I sit in the seats but they look very "stiff". The old CO Koito F seats always seemed stiff and never were cushy...although they were much better than the current F seats they use of the 73E's....the leather seemed fake/vinylish and the seat frames felt very flimsy.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by QBK
Wait, what? What the bleep is the point of it if you can't store your laptop there during takeoff? Having access to my laptop as soon as we clear 10K feet would be a genuine change I would like... but if it's just a place to stash my laptop during flight... argh. Strikes me as pointless. Sheesh.
Yeah that was my hope.

At least in the window seat you can store it hidden from the FAs.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:32 am

Not much subtle about a giant DELTA logo on the bulkhead and big red widgets on the seats.

But curious to see the new UA bulkhead design.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
A couple of things:

1) Speaking of copying the DL playbook, anyone notice the globe outline (on the airways news site) being used for bulkhead designs? They've already been using a version of this for menu covers, napkins, etc. While I get the attempt, it seems very 1995 powerpoint esque to me and whereas the DL version seems more subtle and not repeatedly used all over...they may have widgets but the outline seems to be limited to the bulkhead walls.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
United does not choose the domestic F seat with your comfort in mind. They choose the same way as they choose the slimline seat. What costs the least, what weighs the least and what allows them to cram as many in there as possible to the minimum standard that they think they can get away with.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Not much subtle about a giant DELTA logo on the bulkhead and big red widgets on the seats.

But curious to see the new UA bulkhead design.
I know what your talking about but that seems like its on the bulkheads in the rear of the F cabin. I was referring to this:

And the design in question is this:

Just seems busy.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA PR video for the new cabin design:
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
UA PR video for the new cabin design: http://youtu.be/m0fcpclVjSE
Ok I stand corrected; much more subtle on the globe shadow on the bulkheads and seems more in line with the previous sUA cabin designs which I thought were better.

Yes, I mourn the loss of the tulip and hope for its return...however I think if we are stuck with the globe, they for once actually added some more modern elements rather than the usual copy/paste of 1991 CO branding (think checkerboard seat covers from sCO on new deliveries). I look forward to seeing it in person (though I've spent the bulk of the year flying AA).

And the granite is a classy touch but seems odd considering how big UA is on reducing weight on aircraft. I may be imagining things but I thought when AA did their cabin redesign in 1998 they had something similar that was eventually replaced with a vinyl panel.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Do I see a leg rest? That would be huge, even if they don't extend all the way down to foot rests.
I never understood why they never put in foot rests. Would be great. Not sure if there is some cost, safety or technical reason.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
That tablet stand is pretty neat.. Hopefully I can put my Surface Pro 3 and still eat my food. That would be awesome....

And to be expected, sUA Airbus are the first to get it.... Even though we have some awful seats on the sCO aircraft, it's the more comfortable ones that get replaced... Now I wonder when they will show us the new International Seat.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The new domestic cabin design is a quantum leap forward and indicative of the type of work done by Priestmangoode. It's about time UAL moved forward from a hodgepodge of generic CO styling and pre-merger UA elements towards a cohesive, modern design.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
That tablet stand is pretty neat.. Hopefully I can put my Surface Pro 3 and still eat my food. That would be awesome....

And to be expected, sUA Airbus are the first to get it.... Even though we have some awful seats on the sCO aircraft, it's the more comfortable ones that get replaced... Now I wonder when they will show us the new International Seat.
The 737s are not far behind. My guess is the 319s were selected to launch the new interior because of the incoming newly-acquired frames from China and a desire to standardize configuration.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
Actually, I would like a seat that slides forward in recline to avoid people slamming their seats into my lap when they recline.
And that's what the UA new F seat does.

Believe me, as a refugee to AA, which has more and more of these seats throughout its domestic F cabins, this is a very good change for the better. A bit more comfortable, but the nicest aspect is that you don't have the passenger in front of you intruding on you nearly as much even with his/her seat fully reclined.

Ironically, just as Smisek (thankfully!!!) heads out the door, this is one change we can really like.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Since these are slimlined, I wonder if they're going to expand the number of Y seats in the associated cabins...

I think they look nice, but if they're as hard on the butt as the other slimlines, its going to be a big negative. I personally preferred the PMUA F seats, they had a softer feel and I liked the fabric more than the leather, very upright CO seats.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:18 am

That video makes it clear this is well thought out and sets a new standard.

Delta's domestic first class design looks like a cheap doctor's office by comparison.

The subtle branding of United First on the bulkhead and the blue logo in the entryway remind me of what Lufthansa does on its aircraft.

Well done.

Also nice to see that the inner armrest area also has space for laptops / tablets and easy to access the plug from there.

This will be the most productive domestic first class seat in the market.

And being the most productive airline is what I think United needs to own (cough, reliability).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
Since these are slimlined, I wonder if they're going to expand the number of Y seats in the associated cabins...
I can't see how slimming F seats would create enough real estate to add an entire row (or more) of Y. They've already used a lot of tricks, such as pulling out closets, smaller galleys, reducing F pitch, slimlavs, etc. There's not a lot more space to salvage. My guess is F configurations stay the same.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
That video makes it clear this is well thought out and sets a new standard.

Delta's domestic first class design looks like a cheap doctor's office by comparison.

The subtle branding of United First on the bulkhead and the blue logo in the entryway remind me of what Lufthansa does on its aircraft.

Well done.

Also nice to see that the inner armrest area also has space for laptops / tablets and easy to access the plug from there.

This will be the most productive domestic first class seat in the market.

And being the most productive airline is what I think United needs to own (cough, reliability).
I'll reserve final judgement till I sit in one, but so far I LOVE what I see. Even moreso the cabin changes beyond the seats.

This is indicative of finally 'turning the corner' in the merger, in my book. Took a while but we're at a point where we're FINALLY seeing things come together as one - no more mishmash of UA/CO stuff - but a full-on, universal United front.

Yay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.