Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Here's some more information about our new premium-cabin seat, which will be installed on more than 200 aircraft.

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-09-1...wbody-Aircraft

Features of the new seat include:
  • All-leather seat covers in signature navy and champagne colors;
  • A patented-design tray table with tablet holder, enabling travelers to enjoy food and beverages while using their personal electronic devices;
  • An articulating seat bottom for greater comfort when reclining and an adjustable headrest;
  • In-seat universal A/C power outlets for customers to charge their devices;
  • Additional in-seat storage, including two seatback pockets and side stowage for laptops and tablets;
  • Dedicated beverage holders; and
  • Granite cocktail tables.

At 21.1 inches wide, the new United First seat is wider than the current seat and will have numerous custom-design elements and premium finishes.

The seat will debut on an Airbus A319 next week, with retrofits on A319s, A320s and many Boeing 737s and 757s through 2016.

A video of our new narrowbody cabin design is also available at http://newsroom.united.com/signaturecabindesign_video

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

New Domestic {narrowbody} F seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Ugh. Those look like the awful E175 seats. Why not just go with those nice ones they have on the sUA 757s?
Weight.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is it too early to blame Oscar for this?

In all seriousness, say what you will about the beat-up F seats in the 738s and 739s, but they are comfy to sit in. This does not look like it will be as comfortable.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Actually, I would like a seat that slides forward in recline to avoid people slamming their seats into my lap when they recline.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Doesn't look very comfortable, but I think I'll wait for reviews from people at ORD who've actually sat in them! I like the tablet slot, looks like it will fit most sizes of tablets. (My Galaxy Note 8.4 and 10.1 anyway!)
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:07 pm

Interesting laptop/tablet storage concept. I would never use it because ...

#1. I would probably forget it.

#2. I don't want to even think about the amount of bread crumbs (and other things) that could collect in there.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:52 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Sadly, the slimline won't mean more F seats on the plane...it will mean more Y seats.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
New Domestic F seat?

How much has united spent on ripping out old seats and installing slimlines? Millions? I assume a bean counter at Willis tower proved that the weight saved with new seats will save more fuel costs than new seat costs? What is the ROI timeframe on this?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by radiowell
Actually, upon closer inspection, the seats look like they are "slide forward" instead of recline (just like new AA F).
That was my impression as well. Any timeline for install?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:54 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
How much has united spent on ripping out old seats and installing slimlines? Millions? I assume a bean counter at Willis tower proved that the weight saved with new seats will save more fuel costs than new seat costs? What is the ROI timeframe on this?
Really, the ROI timeframe shouldn't ever drive decision. It should be driven by net present value (NPV). I would say that fitting MORE seats on planes (by creating rows because the seats take up less space) will return more over time.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The seat cushion looks short, and I don't like the open sides. That design (NW used to use one like it) allows everything to fall off on the floor rather than to the side of your lap. Padding looks thin.

The only good thing is it looks slightly raked back (like the sUA seats, but not the sCO ones) which is my primary beef with the streight up CO seats. I can't lean back in them until after take-off.
You're out of luck as Delta installs its new seats:

Open sides, slim line padding

http://static4.businessinsider.com/i...firstclass.jpg

The UA seat looks like it has a seat cushion that extends to the floor, which is odd unless there is some way it will pan up as a leg rest. If that's the case great, but doubt it.

Here's a view of the recline (and UA corp comm staff not wanting to answer any Jeff questions)

https://twitter.com/cjmcginnis/statu...32743789944832

And the tray table

https://twitter.com/cjmcginnis/statu...30693970698240

'Granite' beverage console

https://twitter.com/cjmcginnis/statu...30963811213313

Laptop storage - though can't store there during takeoff/landing

https://twitter.com/cjmcginnis/statu...33164239560704

The old seats may be more comfortable, though frankly I've found the E175 seats good.

And compared to Delta looks like cosmetic differences (more understated style) with some extra storage slots.

The beige on the back is a nice change from all the blue in domestic carrier cabins, though they better be ready to clean the foot and pen scuffs.

Look forward to trying them out - esp as they replace the vertical back 737 seats.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 9, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:11 pm

Looks about as comfortable as a park bench. Just an oversized slimline. Hopefully this doesn't go beyond the first test aircraft.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Question

Originally Posted by blueman2
Actually, I would like a seat that slides forward in recline to avoid people slamming their seats into my lap when they recline.
CX tried that, it clearly didn't work and got rid of it.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Looks about as comfortable as a park bench. Just an oversized slimline. Hopefully this doesn't go beyond the first test aircraft.
A change we will like.

Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Unfortunately you're going to find the same trend on AA and DL...they're all putting lighter, less padded seats in first class.

Nowhere to hide from that trend.

The next frontier is a seat manufacturer making international biz seats lighter.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The seat cushion looks short, and I don't like the open sides.
Could open sides and narrower seat = 2-3 seating in F?

Tighter F seat pitch due to new slim F seat = extra rows of E-?

I'm afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.