Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
So Jeff was replaced by a member of the board of directors... Those directors were always the true 'bosses' anyway.

I doubt we will see any sweeping policy change, let alone rollback of any previous changes....

Doubtful the new CEO will get rid of slimline seats, get rid of economy minus seat pitch, or reinstate meal service on United First class flights leaving at 805pm. Doubt he will announce an end to all outsourced employees. Doubt he will require all United Express carriers (whose copilots earn only $20k/year) to pay flight crews the same salaries as mainline flights.

I hope their new CEO visits one of the many extravagent and modern united clubs.... such as HNL where he can feast on bar mix from the 'snack towers of sadness'. He'd better bring a few $$ in case he wants to celebrate with a "PREMIUM spirit" (such as Bacardi Rum... which sells for 9.95 a fifth in stores).

Last edited by expert7700; Sep 8, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
At last!!! Hopefully UA will return more to the way it was before the merger.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Well, about time. Let's see if anything changes.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:27 pm

people, don't fool yourselves. little is going to change from the flyer (or shall i say flyertalker) perspective. the guy was let go because of corruption, not poor performance or customer dissatisfaction. the new guy has been on the board for a long time. if their current policies are making them money, they will continue having them. the company needs a financial shake up rooted in customer dissatisfaction to change its tune, otherwise, little will happen. sure, it's good he's gone, but not under the circumstances that would have resulted in "changes we'd like."
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I agree with you. Do you have a link though to a story that says it's temporary? I didn't see that although my speculation is consistent with this.
I head the temporary part on TV but some of the print stuff I've read says nothing about temporary, who knows. I'll just see what is posted in FT after the dust has settled a bit. Media is usually pretty unreliable which is why i typically avoid watching the news
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:29 pm

Can this day get any better?! First this news, then I went to .com to buy Christmas travel and I was directed to the old site! (I realize that would be a negative for some, but color me happy)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:33 pm

Will not fly with UA until Oct. Wonder if I can see some change I will like, though I doubt there will be any in the short term.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
T]Unless there exists the smoking gun of a quid pro quo, I don't see Smisek being a target. Smisek may only be a witness to the grand jury and a possible trial witness, forced to testify against Samson, if he (Samson) fails to make a plea deal.

And, though I am happy to see him go, I have sympathy for his situation.
Yup. I think this is more about Samson but there was a quid pro quo. The plane route and then the project approvals. So there you go... Smart CEO's don't show up to meetings like this in person in my view.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by denuaflier
I sincerely doubt Munoz is temporary. Why would he quit a well paying job being President at CSX for a temporary job? It makes no sense. He even said he wanted to come to a bigger company and has customer service experience.
Hes a gambling man. Isn't CSX mostly freight? Maybe UA will become just like riding in the back of a box car????
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I head the temporary part on TV but some of the print stuff I've read says nothing about temporary, who knows. I'll just see what is posted in FT after the dust has settled a bit. Media is usually pretty unreliable which is why i typically avoid watching the news
Thanks. Per the earlier posts (including mine which suggest they new CEO got a ma$$$$$ive salary increase)...I now don't think this is a short term gig
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I don't think this is a short-term gig for Munoz. A COO doesn't jump ship from a F500 company to be a seat-warmer. More likely, the board had a relatively short amount of time to deal with it, and made a choice based on the limited candidates they could confidentially deal with.

Depending on the attitude of the prosecutors dealing with the situation, they may have agreed to an off the books settlement to avoid charges. Fire these 3, and agree to certain terms to avoid prosecution. Happens all the time.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:48 pm

Senile is an unwarranted personal attack - whether you agree with his views or not.

Absolutely Northwest and UA were very similar in their problems coming in.

What Delta did differently from the start...

- 7 of 11 board members came from the Delta side
- Ed Bastian from Delta immediately became CEO of the Northwest subsidiary
- They hired Anderson beforehand, who was from the NW side and knew all the skeletons
- Only the CTO remained from the Northwest senior management team

It was without question Delta acquiring Northwest in every sense of the word.

Once it was clear who was in charge, then they started listening and melding.

United / Continental, for whatever reason - went with a senior team that was initially 50/50 by design. Tilton remained chairman, while Smisek was CEO. I get the impression United forced that as a condition of the merger.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nd-continental

Heck the company name is still not one.

Delta has done many other very smart things after this foundation was laid, but we can't underestimate how valuable it was for Anderson to have been a leader of NW beforehand, navigating those dangerous alleys, and clearly in charge with a Delta mandate.

Had United clearly acquired Continental, or the reverse from the start, we could have had a very different outcome.

I will also add AA/US is very clearly US taking over. Only 3 people on the senior management team are from the AA side. CTO, govt affairs, and a temporary integration head.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corpo.../bios/main.jsp

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Gordo is senile. Delta had something a LOT worse on their hands during their merger. A little airline called Northwest with just as much bad press and baggage as United around that time. And Delta's image was also in the toilet In 2008, just not as toxic labor wise as NW.

Delta pulled it off remarkably. COs influence on UA has been nothing but tactical bullying, cutbacks, and arrogance -- with Jeff all the while talking about how great it is even though it was garbage

Good riddance. I lose more respect for Bethune every day.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Sep 8, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CDKing
Hes a gambling man. Isn't CSX mostly freight? Maybe UA will become just like riding in the back of a box car????
CSX is all freight, excepting their inspection trains and the occasional office car train, used to woo potential customers/have executives travel in class if desired. But they are not a common carrier as it relates to general public passengers in the same way that UA is.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Sep 8, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coinboy66
Smisek is out, and R availability is unchanged. That's all I need to know.
What does one have to do with the other? I am confused by your post. Both truths but unrelated to each other.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
CSX is all freight, excepting their inspection trains and the occasional office car train, used to woo potential customers/have executives travel in class if desired.
I guess that's why he was emphatic about saying United carries millions of 'human beings' during the conference call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.