Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those fees are not going away: Smisek

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Nickelling & diming the business traveller who most wants on time performance above UA's 55% last month (some would say 72% but it's lower in most aspects) means I & my friends continue the PR blowback on UA that'll remove their taking any of our business & leisure revenue. After all, that's the only language they understand. They act like a LCC yet want to advertise like the Gulf 3 but anyone in the world especially the US knows how laughable that idea is. In the chase for lowest fare, they also lose. Overall, there're no "changes we will like".
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, that's true. And it's why the topic is ancillary revenue vs. addressing UA issues. The message itself is fine. But a good CEO can make his point to the street without insulting his customers. In fact, a good CEO would probably use the opportunity to praise his customers..."Our customers have seen the value in unbundling services in their ability to pay just for those they need."

Instead he called us stupid.
You are 100% correct - he did. But I'm fairly certain 99.5% of all UA customers will never actually hear it - while I'm betting 100% of analysts will and like it...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
- one of them told me that they can't stand having to "justify their business / p&l to some 25 year old, newly minted MBA analyst at some big firm that hasn't figured out how to change their pants yet) ...

And I would be lying through my teeth if I had not experienced those thoughts more than once
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:37 am

It's not what he said it's how he said it. It comes off as Tone Deaf like a witty reply you'd give to one of your buddy's after a few pints. Not what a CEO should say.

I'd have said something more like --- As much as everyone hates all of the fees, people are voting with their wallets. NK is one of the fastest growing airlines in the world and they have more fees than anyone. Customers continue to book the lowest fare and then pay for the services they want. We are responding to market demand.

That sounds like something a business professional might say
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
You are 100% correct - he did. But I'm fairly certain 99.5% of all UA customers will never actually hear it - while I'm betting 100% of analysts will and like it...
I get your point, and I don't generally have a lot of respect for analysts, so you might be right. But if I were an analyst, I think I'd rather here that the customers appreciate the unbundling strategy rather than hearing that customers must not understand that UA is a business. It sounds like I'm at war with my customers and they are confused/unhappy. Perhaps this was just a way to prepare analysts for the message that UA is losing more customers? They're leaving because they don't understand, but don't worry they'll be back after watching a few more cat videos.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Jeff - and those that support him - no doubt believes that what he said was perfectly innocuous, and that he wasn't trying to be condescending. The reality, however, about public speaking is that what the speaker intends to say and what the audience absorbs can be two entirely different messages.

It has been said of George Washington that he had his staff proofread every piece of correspondence and every speech, so that his intended message was measured, sober, and not too optimistic. Smisek (and Rainey) could benefit from someone doing the same for him.
I think it's difficult for a rational and objective person to draw a conclusion about a speaker's intent and tone from a few out of context lines in a news article.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JBord
I get your point, and I don't generally have a lot of respect for analysts, so you might be right. But if I were an analyst, I think I'd rather here that the customers appreciate the unbundling strategy rather than hearing that customers must not understand that UA is a business. It sounds like I'm at war with my customers and they are confused/unhappy. Perhaps this was just a way to prepare analysts for the message that UA is losing more customers? They're leaving because they don't understand, but don't worry they'll be back after watching a few more cat videos.
Having worked with analysts a lot they really are simple creatures - like two year olds... They want to hear all the right things - and they want to hear "new" things to justify their recommendations - having an airline CEO talk like Jeff does is "refreshing" (at least to them).

It was a long hard lesson I learned when I worked for public companies:

Momentum (there is definitely a herd mentality on Wall street) + ability to drive stock price appreciation > business fundamentals + long term focus and investment - pretty much every day.... The great CEO's & companies figure out a way to deliver in the short term without sacrificing (entirely) the long term - in my mind UA hasn't figured this out yet - in multiple ways...

The reverse is true as well - and may well be Jeff's undoing - when things get tight, and UA can't grow revenues and starts to lose money - all these glowing analysts will abandon the stock so fast it will make your head spin - and then the board will do what boards do....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
MOST people are having a hard time recognizing them as a business. Businesses usually do things to entice their customers to stay loyal, to offer a product that the customer wants to buy. To treat their customers with respect rather than contempt.

United does not do these things...

This nails it. It isn't that UA is a business, it's that they are charging us for a stick in the eye.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
MOST people are having a hard time recognizing them as a business. Businesses usually do things to entice their customers to stay loyal, to offer a product that the customer wants to buy. To treat their customers with respect rather than contempt.

United does not do these things...
+1 ^ The issue here is that Jeff doesn't recognize the value and importance of customers. Not that customers don't see United as a business, I don't think anyone has mistaken that basic fact.

Originally Posted by Often1
Once you get away from the pointless ad hominem attacks of FT, there is nothing other than fact in what he said. Fees are here to stay. The HVC's don't care because they are not likely paying to check bags if they check them at all. As to change fees, that is a mess of UA (as well as DL and AA's) own making. If non-refundable meant non-refundable as it does elsewhere, there would be no kvetching.
"Attacks of FT" FT didn't feed the stupid words to him, or misquote him. And who would buy a completely non-refundable anything, besides a used car? And even that "sold as is" item is frequently challenged and won in court when it goes wrong.

Originally Posted by channa
The real damage with these comments is the front-liners who then feel empowered to be anti-customer because their leader is.

The leader sets the tone.
And it's a tone I've been seeing all too often at United.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Have you seen the statistics on cat video bandwidth consumption?

I think this comment demonstrates that Smisek is actually somewhat in tune with the times we live in.
It was snarky and condescending, showing contempt for customers and the American public at large. So what if it's true? It just doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think it's difficult for a rational and objective person to draw a conclusion about a speaker's intent and tone from a few out of context lines in a news article.
I can conclude you don't think the people here are rational or objective, because they've come to a conclusion you don't agree with. Jeff is looking for a new speech writer, you should apply.

Last edited by transportbiz; Jul 31, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It might be difficult, but it happens all the time. If you're going to speak in public, having your comments misunderstood is part of the risk one accepts by appearing and speaking in public. So the wise and cautious public speaker takes extra effort to ensure that their intent and tone are what they intend them to be.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by halls120
It might be difficult, but it happens all the time. If you're going to speak in public, having your comments misunderstood is part of the risk one accepts by appearing and speaking in public. So the wise and cautious public speaker takes extra effort to ensure that their intent and tone are what they intend them to be.
We should focus on disagreeing with the data points that are available, not attacking the character of another person with little to no basis.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by blueman2
But he sure comes across as a jerk to the general public.
Since when does telling the truth make one a jerk? Political correctness and fluff are so mainstream these days.

The airline industry is never going to go back to the good old days, bag fees are here to stay, and expect the experience to go down, not up.

-LPDAL
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We should focus on disagreeing with the data points that are available, not attacking the character of another person with little to no basis.
How are we "attacking his character" by suggesting that his public statements come across as condescending and insulting?

I've never suggested Smisek intends to be insulting or condescending. But that is the way he appears at times, and voicing that opinion isn't an attack on his character.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Jeff is preaching to the Wall Street Choir, because that's where his money comes from and he wants them to sing.
Not.
His money comes from people spending $$$ on UA. His stock compensation is only worth the earnings the company generates, which comes from flying passengers around the globe.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's common practice to analyze the character and intent of people who choose to put themselves in the public eye. I have a feeling you're not going to enjoy the upcoming presidential election much.

The facts are the facts. No one here is commenting on them because they're undisputed. And while there may be some here "attacking", I think its more observation and commentary on the clumsy leadership style of Mr. Smisek. He implied that his customers are stupid by using the words he did. Discussing whether or not that was his intent is valid.

Years ago at my company, we had a President who, in a local town hall meeting of about 250 employees, basically said that if employees worked extra hard and gave up some short term rewards, he and his leadership team would be greatly rewarded. Jaws dropped...someone on his leadership team tried to ask a question to prompt him to amend what he said...whispers in the room.

I'm positive his intent wasn't to alienate employees. He didn't understand that he said something wrong, or what the impact was. Someone had to explain it to him after the meeting, and I heard that he felt very bad about it. He was just terrible at connecting with people. He lasted less than a year after that meeting, despite being a brilliant business person.

Public figures are subject to critique of their words and character. IMO, it's appropriate to discuss this because it has an impact on the business and the culture at UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.