Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Houston Traveler
In my experience unless you are sitting in the very first rows of coach, having people stay seated really does not back any difference in getting off the plane. The announcement may sound nice but of little benefit.
This. If I'm in one of those first rows and at the window I'll stay put. But if I'm in the aisle, I have my bag down and I'm ready to go, so I'm not slowing anyone down.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Even when the flight is on time, those insane 35 minute connections are going to get you almost every time. I'm currently looking at flights IAH to London for the Spring. One shows 40 minute connection in EWR going to an international flight. How can they do this.
Another flight to Europe gives 35 minutes to connect in AMS to an ongoing flight. How you can possibly deplane a jumbo jet, clear immigrations and customs and make it to your next flight in 35 minutes.

Insane.
Exactly. Why UA is visiting this self inflicted wound upon itself is truly a mystery. There is no way is certain hot place I will accept a tight connection unless there is a later flight I can make in the event of a misconnect.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAzip
A couple years back I was sitting next to a fellow from Europe on a SAN-ORD; I had a couple hours to make my connection to CLE but he had about 45 minutes to make a connection to a flight to Europe and had never been to ORD. He was getting nervous as we were running a little behind schedule, but a little concern for him like pulling out the terminal map from the magazine and circling the gates, describing the route via the neon tunnel and stuff, and making sure he got off the plane as soon as possible made him feel a lot better.
And it's not just tight connections. Last summer I was seated next to a Dutch gentleman on AMS-ORD who was attending a conference in Chicago. He was looking intently at the L map, so I asked if I might be of some help. He told me where his conference was, I showed him the L stop on the map and explained that he wouldn't have to switch trains and would have to walk 2 blocks or take a taxi from the stop. He thanked me and put the map away.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying so, but I'm almost always in a rush to get out, even when getting back to my home airport. Although I may not be connecting to another flight, it doesn't mean that I'm not trying to catch a bus home, make a meeting, etc. Late flights are late flights, and they're an inconvenience to everyone.
I agree, there are other valid reasons to not wait.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
totally don't agree you don't have a choice. travel departments are there to serve the employees and the company. if every employee tells the travel agency they don't want to or refuse to fly united, the travel policies will change. i work at a large company (>100k employees), and for years we had to use amex travel. enough complaints (and an employee showing him how when he had to be rerouted, it was inefficient to call amex and pay a $35 charge when everyone else on the plane just walked next door, rebooked a ticket and moved on) - and now all employees are allowed to just book what makes sense.

there are always options in life. you may not always like them, but you always have an option.
We'll have to remain in disagreement on this. I get your point, but I also work for a large company (>60k). About a year after the merger I heard we were considering switching, and that was only because of few of the C-group had some bad experiences. We didn't switch in the end.

It may happen, but it doesn't happen overnight. There can be a lot to unwind in these agreements, far more than the contract with UA. Companies share board members, CEO's know each other, and at least in my company's case we do a lot of work for UA. I have no idea if that played any part in the decision to stay, but I'm certain it was discussed.

My point is that as an individual, I don't really have a choice, unless you consider quitting your job a reasonable choice. I don't.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
I tend to hear this announcement at hubs, where most of the plane is connecting to another flight and thus most would want to deplane quickly. Which gives the appearance of people ignoring the FA's when in reality they're all trying to make their connections.

I remember being on an AA flight SAT-DFW, and the FA announced a military veteran seated in the back had a tight connection and asked everyone to remain seated so he could be the first to deplane. Everyone obeyed and thanked him for his service.
I've only encountered it once. Little old lady in row 1 gets off anyway--I had talked to her, I knew she had no plans for the rest of the day. We had 20 minutes to make a connection in another terminal and we were nowhere near as bad off the nearly 20% that had a 4 minute connect. (This was a weather delay, not United's fault.)

Originally Posted by tuolumne
2 weeks ago IAD-LAX 739, the captain came on and made this announcement. He asked for all those that were connecting onto Sydney or Reno to please raise their hands. And then he said "to those other passengers, please remember these hands and courteously give them priority to deplane". I thought this was a nice way to do it, and being the captain making the announcement, I thought people took it more seriously. We ended up waiting for 25 minutes for an open gate and everyone ended up misconnecting anyhow, but I digress...
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Identify exactly those who are on the edge. Giving the connection times would also be a good idea.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly. A few times on AA, I've seen the FAs strategically re-seat the tight-connection passengers (or the uniformed soldier in the back row) to any available seats up front in the last 20-30 minutes before landing to facilitate their tight connections.
That's an excellent idea. Asking people if they would move would be even better.

That is a sensible solution rather than imploring 150-200 passengers to sit tight while 10-100 passengers are allowed off first. Those 10-100 passengers either didn't plan sufficient connecting time (not my problem) or the airline screwed up and shortened their connections by arriving late (again, not my problem).
Or weather messed things up. The time I ran into this I had booked more than 2 hours. I learned that's not enough in the morning in SFO.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I follow the same procedure as some others - wait and eventually a break will open up you can dart out on.

I wish people would stop pontificating about not booking a connection of less than 2 hours. Some of us come from airports that have a few flights - it isn't always possible to do this. I am quite anxious about the rebanking plans as it will lead to even longer delays for those of us with limited service.

Lastly, I have been on the jetbridge on the F concourse at ORD many times waiting for hand baggage, while standing beside some one nervously looking at their ticket and not know where their gate is. I usually whip out the United app and find their gate and tell them how to get there (along we a discussion on the roulette of the F to C transfer bus). Because, lets face it - it is United at ORD, much of the time their connecting flight is delayed too and the stress goes away.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by tyroner
I follow the same procedure as some others - wait and eventually a break will open up you can dart out on.

I wish people would stop pontificating about not booking a connection of less than 2 hours. Some of us come from airports that have a few flights - it isn't always possible to do this. I am quite anxious about the rebanking plans as it will lead to even longer delays for those of us with limited service.
Can you give me an example of an airport that has every flight with 20 min connections? Where do you have a choice of only one airline and only short connections?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Gang, I do not fly UA unless I have to. I am going from MEM-LAR on a Saturday via DEN to go to a wedding on Sunday. I have a 50 minute layover and bought F (ok P) and am in row 1. I worried when I booked this, but I am now worried even more. I will check bags (clothes for wedding in a garment bag). How much panic should I have? The next flight is not out until Sunday night and I would miss the wedding. Will Uber do it if UA fails?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
What I hate is when they start that announcement as you taxi to the gate. Now, obviously the flight is late for some reason, but let's say that its weather and not MX.

So they get everyone amped to help their fellow traveler and then.... the gate is occupied and you sit there for 10 minutes. Then you get to the gate and there isn't a jet bridge jockey. Something happened to make the flight late and then the they ask you to save time, and then they squander any time saving.

Was on a PHL-DEN flight earlier this year. Flight was late due to a late arriving redeye. Pilot does a great job making up 30 minutes a 60 minute delay. They make the step-aside announcement and then he comes on and says the gate is occupied. Even the captain was pissed you could tell- well he said it. "We've been talking to them the whole flight to get us in fast, but I guess nothing happened here in Denver."
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've had this on several of my recent (and all delayed) flights and saw mixed results (i.e. different levels of cooperation amongst passengers). It was mentioned in an earlier comment and I've often wondered why the FA's couldn't just ask for a show of hands of people whose connecting flight was boarding within the next "xx" minutes (time adjusted according to airport). I know that if I saw that there were indeed folks in danger of missing their connections, I'd stay put. Make the announcement just as you're pulling up to the jetbridge. Let those people raise their hands and when the seatbelt sign is going off, let them gather their things and get to the front.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:42 pm

I don't know where all you people are flying. I don't fly several times a month, but I am United Platinum and have flown about 28,000 actual miles so far this year. All travel has been United except on international connections.

I have not heard the "please let those with short connections out first" announcement for several years. I would guess that less than 20% of my flights this year have been more than 5-10 minutes late. Several have actually been early.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GNVFlyer
Gang, I do not fly UA unless I have to. I am going from MEM-LAR on a Saturday via DEN to go to a wedding on Sunday. I have a 50 minute layover and bought F (ok P) and am in row 1. I worried when I booked this, but I am now worried even more. I will check bags (clothes for wedding in a garment bag). How much panic should I have? The next flight is not out until Sunday night and I would miss the wedding. Will Uber do it if UA fails?
Do you really need to check that bag? I would carry on if at all possible. A checked bag is going to really constrain you if there's a problem.

I would guess rent/drive from DEN is your best option in the event of a miss or cancel.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Here's my favorite story, something like 2 years ago. SFO-IAH, I'm in 21D, we're about ready to go, normal SFO cascading ATC delays. A fellow, looking mildly stressed, comes up to me and shows me his BP with 21D. Before I can react, right behind him is the GA with a new BP for me in 1E.

Turns out 1) he's going to Costa Rica, 2) his original flight had cxl'd so was rebooked on the flight after mine guaranteeing a mis-connect, but on standby, and 3) miracle of miracles I get the last minute upgrade which opens a seat for him.

We're behind schedule, but again the fates are smiling because we get a good routing and pull up to the gate in time for him to make his connection. The announcement is made "...blah, blah, blah...", the seas part and he's now standing right next to me! UA then does it's best arrival routine and the plane (a 737 at IAH) has to be repositioned TWICE after the engines are cut -- you'd think that UA would know how to park these birds after all these years at IAH. And that's why I know his story -- got it by chatting with him for the whole wasted 15 minutes which cost him his connection (and a day).

Poor guy never had a chance. The friendly skies, indeed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:24 pm Reason: corrected airline code
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm tired of hearing this statement every week. I was on 1766 today and as usual United was late (1.5 hours) getting me back to EWR..
While I can relate to your sentiment, I am stunned that so many road warriors here hear and actually process the announcements.

Even if I do not have the headphones on and the screams the dying in the movie do not blank out everything ... I never ever hear what the announcements say. I read, sleep, chat just fine through any announcement ever. If it was really important, an FA will run up to me and jell it at me once more ...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I was on an EWR NRT flight a while back and we were held about 15 minutes for late arriving passengers from ALB. The fact that we still arrived in NRT early probably had a lot to do with it.

Which leads me to this - Why not schedule flights to have 5 or 10 extra minutes in them, and give the gate agents the option to use this time to allow for connections. If everyone arrives on time, this allows the plane to arrive in its destination a little early, or can allow the captain to slow down a little bit to save some fuel, etc.

In fact, on many commuter railroads in the US, the time published in the public schedule for the initial terminal (Grand Central, New York Penn, Hoboken NJ) is actually a minute or two earlier than the schedule that the railroad employees go by. This in fact a trick so people can come to the train at the last second and can still board without delaying the train.

If internal ops would have a scheduled departure of 5-10 minutes later than the time published to the public, people would hustle, but still make it, and the plane would still depart ON TIME. The 5-10 minutes could vary depending on the number of flights remaining in the day. The last departure of the day, and once per day flights would have more "rubber" if you will.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I was on an EWR NRT flight a while back and we were held about 15 minutes for late arriving passengers from ALB. The fact that we still arrived in NRT early probably had a lot to do with it.

Which leads me to this - Why not schedule flights to have 5 or 10 extra minutes in them, and give the gate agents the option to use this time to allow for connections. If everyone arrives on time, this allows the plane to arrive in its destination a little early, or can allow the captain to slow down a little bit to save some fuel, etc.

In fact, on many commuter railroads in the US, the time published in the public schedule for the initial terminal (Grand Central, New York Penn, Hoboken NJ) is actually a minute or two earlier than the schedule that the railroad employees go by. This in fact a trick so people can come to the train at the last second and can still board without delaying the train.

If internal ops would have a scheduled departure of 5-10 minutes later than the time published to the public, people would hustle, but still make it, and the plane would still depart ON TIME. The 5-10 minutes could vary depending on the number of flights remaining in the day. The last departure of the day, and once per day flights would have more "rubber" if you will.
Thanks for waiting for us. If you think about ALB a bit you will figure out why they hold. It's one of the great reasons to fly out of this spoke.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA million miler
Originally Posted by tuolumne
2 weeks ago IAD-LAX 739, the captain came on and made this announcement. He asked for all those that were connecting onto Sydney or Reno to please raise their hands. And then he said "to those other passengers, please remember these hands and courteously give them priority to deplane". I thought this was a nice way to do it, and being the captain making the announcement, I thought people took it more seriously. We ended up waiting for 25 minutes for an open gate and everyone ended up misconnecting anyhow, but I digress...

Gosh this happens frequently, making an on-time arrival late. And the inverse also happens far too often; everyone boarded on time, door closed then you sit and sit and sit awaiting push back for minutes that seem like hours; then no explanation for why or how long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.