Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Old Jul 14, 15, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Angry "for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

I'm tired of hearing this statement every week. I was on 1766 today and as usual United was late (1.5 hours) getting me back to EWR due to "late arriving aircraft". It didn't help we took some backward a$$ routing east to Atlanta then headed NE due to storms. Well if you were on time arriving into phx United ATC may have not diverted you accordingly.

At any rate, I'm sick of these announcements. Get your on-time % right United and maybe you won't have to worry. I wasn't connecting and I got up. Sorry folks, those who planned a tight international connection and thought UA would get you on time isn't my problem.

I can't remember the last time a United flight landed on time...honestly and I fly this crappy airline every week.

Old Jul 14, 15, 9:17 pm

Classless

Flyer talk is worthless when filled with comments like this
randomman and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 15 at 10:04 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster
Old Jul 14, 15, 9:28 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post
Flyer talk is worthless when filled with comments like this
it's been a tough summer to fly on UA. FT is a place folks can let off some steam, and my guess is you knew exactly what was in this thread when you came here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 15 at 10:05 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Mod edit (and deleted response to deleted material)
Old Jul 14, 15, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
it's been a tough summer to fly on UA. FT is a place folks can let off some steam, and my guess is you knew exactly what was in this thread when you came here.
1/3 of UA flights arrived late in June. OP has a valid point for complaining about it. Please send an email to customer service to get some miles for your troubles. Cheers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rformance.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 15 at 10:06 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Jul 14, 15, 9:43 pm
axl

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
It's even tougher when your fellow travelers stop showing common courtesy.

I just don't get the "I've had a tough day - so I'm going to inconvenience others (who, BTW, had zero to do with the bad day)" mentality. I see it a lot, but I don't get it. To be fair, I also see a lot of folks that exude a calming feeling on those around them when things get stressful.
ExplorerWannabe and wxman22 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 15 at 10:06 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Jul 14, 15, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Playing Devil's advocate here, being nearly always in an aisle seat, I've got to get up anyways, to let others who are connecting out. I disrupt the flow even more trying to jockey back into my seat, than to just get off the plane. I usually have my belongings together, and can exit very quickly. And I basically agree, United needs to give a crap about its customers and not put that onus on customer's backs as well.

I used to gripe an awful lot too, but United is going to change, when they lose money! Period and end of question.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 15 at 10:07 pm Reason: OT material deleted
Old Jul 14, 15, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by axl View Post
It's even tougher when your fellow travelers stop showing common courtesy.

I just don't get the "I've had a tough day - so I'm going to inconvenience others (who, BTW, had zero to do with the bad day)" mentality. I see it a lot, but I don't get it. To be fair, I also see a lot of folks that exude a calming feeling on those around them when things get stressful.
Agreed 150%.

Sure, the flight being late is annoying. But why would you deliberately go out of your way to try to make someone else's bad day worse?

Way to "teach the airline a lesson" ...

Human behavior baffles me ...... Wish more people would heed the words of the great Bill & Ted: "BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER"...
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I stopped complying when I encountered 3 people I'd let off sitting at the bar enjoying a beer.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was in 7D and slid in without a beat into the stream. I didn't delay anyone.

flight was late, wifi inop, power outlets inop.

Flyer friendly!
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post

I'm tired of hearing this statement every week. I was on 1766 today and as usual United was late (1.5 hours) getting me back to EWR due to "late arriving aircraft". It didn't help we took some backward a$$ routing east to Atlanta then headed NE due to storms. Well if you were on time arriving into phx United ATC may have not diverted you accordingly.

At any rate, I'm sick of these announcements. Get your on-time % right United and maybe you won't have to worry. I wasn't connecting and I got up. Sorry folks, those who planned a tight international connection and thought UA would get you on time isn't my problem.

I can't remember the last time a United flight landed on time...honestly and I fly this crappy airline every week.

While I certainly understand your frustration, I hope that if you are faced with a delayed flight and a very tight connection through no fault of your own, that your fellow travelers extend more courtesy to you. You'll probably appreciate it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I stopped complying when I encountered 3 people I'd let off sitting at the bar enjoying a beer.
In fairness, it could be that they arrived to their gate on what they thought was a tight connection to find their connecting flight delayed 1-2 hours as well. It's happened to me before after OJ-ing my way through ORD.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportbiz View Post
Playing Devil's advocate here, being nearly always in an aisle seat, I've got to get up anyways, to let others who are connecting out. I disrupt the flow even more trying to jockey back into my seat, than to just get off the plane.
The most recent time I heard this announcement, I got up, moved one row forward, and sat back down while the folks in a hurry left. When things calmed down, I grabbed my overhead bag and left (although I can usually do this in ≤5 sec…).

I agree with OP's assessment that we've been hearing more of this announcement on UA flights in the past couple of months. I hadn't really noticed but, yeah, they are saying it almost as frequently as the "we know you have a choice in carriers…" boilerplate. Huh. Not great news operationally.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
While I certainly understand your frustration, I hope that if you are faced with a delayed flight and a very tight connection through no fault of your own, that your fellow travelers extend more courtesy to you. You'll probably appreciate it when the shoe is on the other foot
I've worn that other foot and been there. I will not be a UA apologist. I feel sorry for the folks that have no idea how bad their operational ontime stats are when booking. A 1.5 hour connection on AA or DL is bookable, UA no.

When I departed I said my token "thank you" but also added "another ontime arrival" The flight attendant looked at me and nodded in despair.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
I love it when they make that announcement on UX and all the people that went by are lined up on the jetbridge for their bags. And the last one I let by despite me being in 2B with just a small backpack I saw again on the Wally bus.
I am tired of it too.
Old Jul 14, 15, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post
I love it when they make that announcement on UX and all the people that went by are lined up on the jetbridge for their bags. And the last one I let by despite me being in 2B with just a small backpack I saw again on the Wally bus.
I am tired of it too.
This was the post I was expecting from the OP. I get it, everyone is late, even the people getting off... Terminating at a hub is a pain because of this. For me the dagger in the eye is when the FA says, "for you it'll only cost 5 minutes, but for others it may cost them a night with their families".

Depending on my seat, I'll wait (Has anyone ever seen 1B/C wait?). I wait for someone to struggle with their bag and I jump out. No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jul 14, 15, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I fly this crappy airline every week.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Search this Thread