Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"for those of you not connecting please remain seated so those who are can get off"

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The most efficient deplaning process would have a steady non-stop stream of people exiting the plane without gaps.

How about an announcement that says, "If you have one bag only (or no bag) in the overhead compartment, please deplane first. If you need to stand up (blocking the aisle), then stretch, pull out your bag and coat, followed by your magazines, knitting, airport purchases, etc., followed by another stretch, please wait until everyone else is off the plane."
Old May 12, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by JonIND
Does anyone else hate this announcement as much as I do? In my experience, it generally causes more problems than it solves... It mainly seems to give ammunition to not-so-frequent flyers to feel justified in pushing and shoving past people who may actually have much shorter connections than they do.
I agree. Mostly bogus. The whole back of the plane goes forward in my experience.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
I agree. Mostly bogus. The whole back of the plane goes forward in my experience.
This has unfortunately my observation in many cases. However, I was pleasantly surprised on a recent flight when most of the passengers actually remained seated and (on an A320) about 10-15 people disembarked first, each offering thanks to the seated passengers on their rather rushed exit from the plane.

So, it can work if people cooperate.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:26 pm

A few years back (2008-ish), on a TPA-DEN UA A320, flight attendants announced upon landing that everyone except for one passenger (named) in 9C had to remain seated upon arrival at the gate in DEN to allow 9C off first due to 9C's tight connection. Everyone complied and 9C (this was I) made my connection just in the nick of time. If UA were to handle these situations in this way, I'd comply. But I have experienced several times, when not in a hurry, recognizing fellow passengers at the connecting gate from the inbound flight who had been in a panic and very verbal and insistent about getting off the aircraft as they said they had a tight connection. My impression was they were inexperienced travelers but maybe they were just bold. I've now grown callous to these situations because they're so carelessly handled by both UA and passenger and I don't want to be inconvenienced by it.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I've now grown callous to these situations because they're so carelessly handled by both UA and passenger and I don't want to be inconvenienced by it.
This.

We got the most ridiculous "for those not connecting please remain seated..." on a LAX-DEN flight last month.
Funny part was we pulled into the gate 10 minutes ahead of schedule.
Fortunately, not a single person in First bought that line and no one remained seated.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JonIND
Does anyone else hate this announcement as much as I do? In my experience, it generally causes more problems than it solves... It mainly seems to give ammunition to not-so-frequent flyers to feel justified in pushing and shoving past people who may actually have much shorter connections than they do.
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
In all the years I've been flying I've heard flight attendants make the announcement hundreds of times asking for people who are not connecting to stay seated and let those who are making connections off first. You know how many times I've seen passengers actually cooperate and let others off first? Not once. There is literally nothing FAs can do to make people do this in a realistic way. And frankly, the idea of pax in the aisle/window getting up and letting the one in the window seat out, and then sitting back down...completely illogical. It'd be more efficient for them to just get up and get off, as there simply isn't enough room to maneuver. Which is why the best thing for everyone to do is to just get up and go in a quick and orderly fashion, instead of yelling at each other about who's time is more important than the other's.

A few months back the FA made the same announcement on a UAX flight I was on, despite the plane arriving 10 min early. Some lady started yelling at people for not letting her off first, saying her flight was leaving in 15 min. All I could think was how she could possibly have a connection booked that left 5 min after our scheduled arrival. Maybe her flight was going to start boarding in 15 min, but certainly it wasn't leaving in 15 min (unless on a separate ticket, but still). Case in point though, people just don't care about anyone but themselves when traveling.
I agree too. The exception might be, if there is one pax the FAs want to assist and there is a free seat in F or the first row or two in Y, move that one pax forward just prior to descent. Otherwise UA should just concentrate on having more on-time arrivals.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
And the you see the people that pushed by you on UAX standing in the jet bridge waiting for their bags
Old May 12, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Duke787
Agreed.

I'm always amazed how much faster deplaning is when they let you go out the rear door. Too bad it's not feasible for most flights / airports in the US
Too bad this never took:

Old May 12, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
And the you see the people that pushed by you on UAX standing in the jet bridge waiting for their bags
Thank. You.

Yesterday MRY-LAX was two hours late for the throtttle down on arrivals at LAX. We knew this at check in. The agents at MRY were rebooking the people with connections.
When we got to LAX they made this announcement. But, I'm sorry your connection was either blown or taken care of because at 9:30am for the 9:50 flight we knew our new departure time was 11:56.
Anyways in row 2 my Mom and I had our purse & tote, respectively in our laps.
A couple in row 4 made a comment about their connection. I let them go by and then I jumped up and we got off the plane. That couple in row 4 was then sitting in the jetway waiting for a gate check bag....and later at baggage claim.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by char777
Too bad this never took:

While I would have loved for this to be widely installed, it makes me nervous just looking at how much weight is cantilevered over that expensive, fuel-filled wing.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Why can't they use stairs at the back? Airlines manage to do this in other countries.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sincx
While I would have loved for this to be widely installed, it makes me nervous just looking at how much weight is cantilevered over that expensive, fuel-filled wing.
Like when it collapsed on the wing of a 757 in 2007?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...maging-dia-jet

The experiment was short lived
Old May 13, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
This.

We got the most ridiculous "for those not connecting please remain seated..." on a LAX-DEN flight last month.
Funny part was we pulled into the gate 10 minutes ahead of schedule.
Fortunately, not a single person in First bought that line and no one remained seated.
If I'm paying for first, no way am I not getting off that plane. Even Dr Dao style, I'm getting off. " maybe I have a tight connection also" Haha
Old May 13, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
The only time I've seen this work was when an FA made the announcement while we were taxiing and had the people who had a tight connection (I think that they were all on the same flight) raise their hands. Everybody looked around and saw who the people with raised hands were and when the seatbelt light went off, those people were allowed to get off the plane first. The generic "if you are not connecting...." message never seems to work.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:41 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
The problem... everyone only cares about themselves first. Till people give a little don't blame United it starts with the passengers and their cultural and value system then anything United can hope to control.

As an example during the recent United outrage treatment of a passenger, did any one bother to standup and help or protest, nope but we got a video!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.