Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked AAA-BBB-CCC, now need to only go to BBB. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Before I blow money on change fees, I was hoping some of you nice folks could let me know if I'm missing an option here.

I booked AAA-CCC, which happens to connect through BBB. Booking class is A. My plans have changed, and I now actually have to go to BBB instead of CCC. From what I understand, SDC doesn't apply here, because I'd be changing the destination. Is there anything else I can do, or am I stuck with coughing up the $200 change fee to re-route to BBB?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Before I blow money on change fees, I was hoping some of you nice folks could let me know if I'm missing an option here.

I booked AAA-CCC, which happens to connect through BBB. Booking class is A. My plans have changed, and I now actually have to go to BBB instead of CCC. From what I understand, SDC doesn't apply here, because I'd be changing the destination. Is there anything else I can do, or am I stuck with coughing up the $200 change fee to re-route to BBB?

Thanks!
If you booked it as a round trip you have two options
1) Pay the change fee (otherwise if you don't take BBB-CCC, your whole return will be cancelled)
2) Just don't fly the BBB-CCC, and book a one way BBB-AAA separately. Depending on costs, this could be cheaper, or might be more expensive.

If you booked a one way - then just get off at BBB. You're technically not allowed to do this, but don't make a habit of it, and you should be okay.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:31 am
Suspended

while OP's change of circumstance may very well be legit, from the POV of the airline, that's the classic definition of "hidden city ticketing"

once in a blue moon, the airlines won't care much about HCT. Make it periodic and their systems will definitely flag your account.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jmanirish
If you booked a one way - then just get off at BBB. You're technically not allowed to do this, but don't make a habit of it, and you should be okay.
Carry-on luggage only in this case; and if required to gate check make sure you pick it up at the BBB jetway, and it is not sent through to CCC.

SunLover
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thank you for the suggestions, however I a) will be bringing checked luggage and b) don't like hidden city ticketing and would feel like a rather big hypocrite, and I'd rather not have my account flagged.

To clarify, because I neglected to mention that, this is actually the return leg of a round trip flight (CCC-AAA, AAA-CCC) which happens to have a layover in BBB.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AADULtArer
If you can ship your luggage from AAA to BBB for cheaper than the change fee, thats the cheapest option.

Doing it once is probably not going to flag you as a HCT problem child.

If you ship your checked luggage, you could actually call up, cancel the last leg and preserve any minimal residual value on BBB-CCC.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Thank you for the suggestions, however I a) will be bringing checked luggage and b) don't like hidden city ticketing and would feel like a rather big hypocrite, and I'd rather not have my account flagged.
Hidden city is not a moral or ethical issue. It's a question whether you do it regularly enough to draw the airline's attention. I would not be concerned about a one-time event. People's plans change such that they miss a final leg all the time.

However, if you have to check a bag, you'll have to change the ticket. There's no way to avoid the change fee (nless an agent miraculously agrees/offers to waive it).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
If you can ship your luggage from AAA to BBB for cheaper than the change fee, thats the cheapest option.

Doing it once is probably not going to flag you as a HCT problem child.

If you ship your checked luggage, you could actually call up, cancel the last leg and preserve any minimal residual value on BBB-CCC.
Unless he bought it with a price break at BBB, there would be no residual value. If he bought it with a price break at BBB, his fare may still go up as he would exchange it for a current day price, which has a high probability of being higher than his advanced purchase fare, depending on if he got a discounted fare with an advanced purchase restriction that lowered the price from a no advanced purchase fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.