Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

One UA employee per 20+ check-in kiosks? (SFO kettle class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One UA employee per 20+ check-in kiosks? (SFO kettle class)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Here is my favorite.

Flying with skis + boots. On some kiosks at some points in time there was no option/exception button to print an extra bag tag without charge. On some there is, never understood it.

So I check 3 bags (2 suitcases, skis + boots). This is in DEN, a place where skis are pretty common. End up in an argument with the baggage vendor, he insists I pay for an extra bag, I see no option to do it in the kiosk without spending $100, etc. Such a basic rule, no ability to help, and the only agent on call is 200+ ft away and very very busy. Almost missed that flight!

If you are going to have baggage vendors, can you train them to memorize the rules? Or perhaps give them the power to print xbag tickets to resolve issues (including issues with mangled self-checkin tags, etc)?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:59 pm

My last inter nation flight from EWR (1st with United)
OLCI at home
Scan passport
Mobile boarding pass
Print boarding pass
Need to check bags- I walk up to a counter- no line, no customer in site-told to go to kiosk.No line , just one customer at kiosk.
Needed help with bag tags- 3-4 UA employees busy chatting with each other . After calling them over got a condescending comment.
Back to counter with bags.
Plain stupid.
Changi airport- OLCI, but unable to get boarding pass, so kiosk again first. However 1 employee working 4 kiosks took at the most 30 sec to check people in and tag bags.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
#2 - On the last (international) trip out of IAH I had to do the self-bag thing. Nobody checked my id during the bag drop off. Of course TSA checked my Id.
This always puzzles me. The US requires airlines flying to the USA to ask customers all sorts of silly questions about their bags and contents before they can accept the bag. But flying from the US, there are no such questions. Surely a plane blowing up in either direction is equally bad.

Back on topic, the fact that they haven't integrated the Priority tags into the Premier check in area kiosks shows that it has not been thought through at all. It's a total mess.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Back on topic, the fact that they haven't integrated the Priority tags into the Premier check in area kiosks shows that it has not been thought through at all. It's a total mess.
Ever since self tag became the norm for UA SFO for the Premier checkin area, I've been carrying around a stack of Priority tags, that way I make the process more efficient by not having to flag down someone for a tag.

It's awkward having to carry a bag, and a carryon bag, and a long sticker you can't attach yet, while looking for the attendant or hauling the stuff up to the counter, so I just bring my own Priority tag, attach it to the sticker, to the bag, and that eliminates one piece to worry about. Carry my bags just as I hauled them into the airport (stacked or whatever), and make my way to the drop point.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I doubt that.

1. They need to weigh the bags so they can collect overweight fees if necessary. That seems to be the primary function of the agents. No way UA is dodging that ancillary revenue opportunity.
I think you underestimate the progress that technology can bring. Imagine: affix tag to bag. Bag goes into weighing/dimensioning area. Lasers scan the bag, ensure it is within size guidelines, and weigh bag. Kiosk prompts for extra payment if overweight/oversize or offers to return bag. Belt goes straight from kiosk into the baggage sorting area (so basically the kiosks all have belt access and look a lot like checkin counters except unmanned).

Lots of ways you could do this. If course it would take up more space in the checkin area and would be pretty expensive.

2. I believe they need to check ID to take a checked bag.
Yes but the Hertz kiosks scan/verify your DL as well, no? And Global Entry kiosks do the same for your passport. This is definitely possible on an automated basis with facial recognition technology.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DWFI
Lots of ways you could do this. If course it would take up more space in the checkin area and would be pretty expensive.
Yes of course it could be done. But doesn't make a whole lot of sense when UA can pay non-employee contractors $15 an hour to scan the bags. Which is why you're not going to see a fully automated system anytime soon.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Ever since self tag became the norm for UA SFO for the Premier checkin area, I've been carrying around a stack of Priority tags, that way I make the process more efficient by not having to flag down someone for a tag.

It's awkward having to carry a bag, and a carryon bag, and a long sticker you can't attach yet, while looking for the attendant or hauling the stuff up to the counter, so I just bring my own Priority tag, attach it to the sticker, to the bag, and that eliminates one piece to worry about. Carry my bags just as I hauled them into the airport (stacked or whatever), and make my way to the drop point.
Ok, I'll bite. How do you get your own stack of Priority tags?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI
I think you underestimate the progress that technology can bring. Imagine: affix tag to bag. Bag goes into weighing/dimensioning area. Lasers scan the bag, ensure it is within size guidelines, and weigh bag. Kiosk prompts for extra payment if overweight/oversize or offers to return bag. Belt goes straight from kiosk into the baggage sorting area (so basically the kiosks all have belt access and look a lot like checkin counters except unmanned).

Sounds similar to the automated bag sorting system that never worked in Denver.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Yes of course it could be done. But doesn't make a whole lot of sense when UA can pay non-employee contractors $15 an hour to scan the bags. Which is why you're not going to see a fully automated system anytime soon.
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the UA employees who are lucky to be making $15 (if that) and the contract workers are at minimum wage.

(sfo may be an exception due to the airport's contractually obligated higher minimum wage regulations based on SF city code but what I say certainly applies at the vast majority of airports).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by 1P
Anyone who attaches their own baggage tag is asking for trouble. If you don't do it right and it comes off and you lose your bag, guess who's responsible? Not the airline, that's for sure. I always refuse to attach mine and get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me.
Maybe I'm the only one, but I like tagging my own bag. Doing it is not exactly rocket science; they pay $15/hour people to do it. Doing it myself means:

1. I get to make sure MY tag goes on MY bag, and my tag has the right destination.
2. My tag goes on straight, and is secure, and isn't going to leave sticky goo all over the place.
3. The little stickers with the PNR are attached somewhere properly.

Self tagging actually removes stress for me; doesn't add it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DBCme
My favorite part of the self-check in kiosks is the luggage tags which passengers are supposed to do themselves. Surprising how many people mess that up; something about an airport environment makes people rather goofy
If I wait a long time to self-check in myself, I will make sure I take even longer to complete my self-check in. I will intentionally going back and forth from screen to screen, and I will weight my luggage, open it, re-arrange it, at least a couple times. I will print the luggage tag label and play with it, I will write the luggage address tag slowly. I will walk to the counter slowly.
I paid for my ticket and I want to get every penny worth with United. No agent at the self check-in kiosk would bother to help you anyway.
Happy travel!!!

Last edited by Mama; Jul 1, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Ok, I'll bite. How do you get your own stack of Priority tags?
Just ask.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To make it worse, it seems that UA employees will not step in and help if Airserv is present: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...v-present.html
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: AA Plat
The self check-in kiosks are a disaster.
Speaking of these, I had a very comical experience in SAN this week. Long lines in the Premier lane bc the IAD red-eye was cxled and people were rebooking.

The TA told me to self-check-in at the ticketing counter kiosk (despite the fact we don't do self-tagged bags in SAN). I checked in and chose one bag and the machine just spit out my BPs. I grabbed the agent and he says I must have done something wrong! Turns out the bag tag printed on the other side (go figure). He affixed it for me and wished me a happy trip.

Are we allowed to self-tag bags or is reaching around the counter frowned upon? This system is essentially the same as the dedicated self-tagging locations except for where the tag prints, right? This could save a lot of time for savvy travelers, although you'd still have to flag down a free TA.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:02 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I disagree. The airline still accepts the bag. If they don't like the tagging, they have the opportunity to reject it or redo it at that time.
Precisely the point. Generates more wasted time. They should have tagged it themselves to begin with.

Have we heard of any incidents (UA or other carrier) disclaiming liability on a self-tag?
No, we haven't. But we have heard from people who have been asked "Did you tag it yourself?" when their bag goes missing. Just as bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.