Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier 1K/Global Services Resident in Ireland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Have been flying predominantly UA for past couple of years to, from and within the US from my home base of Ireland. Had previously achieved Senator status on LH but still ended up in Economy seats (company does not pay for Business Class) when flying UA.
Decided to make the switch midway thru 2013 and got to Gold. For 2014 I managed to achieve 1K status.
Now my question is whether anyone out there knows how many 1Ks or Global Services members there are who are resident in Ireland?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I fear it's not a number UA is likely to reveal. They don't reveal 1K or GS numbers globally and, in the latter case, even the qualification requirements. I'm a 1K who lives in London and I get the impression that there are not very many of us, but I can't be sure. It's certainly more than one because some reported here being invited to the opening party for LHR T2 - I wasn't as a 1K MM flyer. I suspect you may be one of a very small group in Ireland - a group too small to have a party.

What I don't understand is why you chose UA over AA which, given the likely BA/EI merger might work out better. *A is not exactly strong in DUB.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DUB1K
Now my question is whether anyone out there knows how many 1Ks or Global Services members there are who are resident in Ireland?
Considering UA's low profile in Ireland I'd guess the figure is < 100.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
What I don't understand is why you chose UA over AA which, given the likely BA/EI merger might work out better. *A is not exactly strong in DUB.
Well let's see if and when BA/EI merger goes ahead May well be worth considering at that point.
EI's FF program (Gold Circle) used to be pretty good about 10 years ago but in their zeal (and it may have been under the leadership of Willie Walsh, current BA CEO) to compete with Ryanair, they pretty much decimated all benefits except for those flying transatlantic business class, which my employer will not pay for. they also stopped flying DUB - SFO direct (although have reinstated since last year).
Since I also do a fair amount of travel to Asia (China, Korea & Japan), *A has a good network of partners in that region.
Of course I will take my business where I feel that I can get the best benefits as a FF and that may change.
The premise of my original question was to try and figure whether I have any bargaining power with UA ground staff when flying out of DUB. Obviously the fewer 1K & GS in Ireland the better for me.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ah the good old days. When I lived there and regularly flew TATL out of SNN on CO, I would get complimentary upgrades to BF as a Gold->Platinum (when they changed from bronze-silver-gold to silver-gold-plat). So thinking there weren't many elites of any kind in Eire
Guess that doesn't answer the question, but maybe provides a vague data point...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have now flown out of DUB as a 1K on two occasions. I received no special treatment. There's no *A lounge (at least not in Terminal 2). UA's passengers in C get into a contract lounge, but that does not work for those of us in Y.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by DUB1K
Well let's see if and when BA/EI merger goes ahead May well be worth considering at that point.
EI's FF program (Gold Circle) used to be pretty good about 10 years ago but in their zeal (and it may have been under the leadership of Willie Walsh, current BA CEO) to compete with Ryanair, they pretty much decimated all benefits except for those flying transatlantic business class, which my employer will not pay for. they also stopped flying DUB - SFO direct (although have reinstated since last year).
Since I also do a fair amount of travel to Asia (China, Korea & Japan), *A has a good network of partners in that region.
Of course I will take my business where I feel that I can get the best benefits as a FF and that may change.
The premise of my original question was to try and figure whether I have any bargaining power with UA ground staff when flying out of DUB. Obviously the fewer 1K & GS in Ireland the better for me.
While I am a 1k based in the midwest of the US - I travel on United to Dublin 5 times or more a year. Previous posters are correct in that there is no lounge. United used to allow *G to use the contract lounge but not any more.

In terms of 'leverage', the check in people are I think SwissPort? They are not United employees and really don't care if you are 1k, GS, or anything else. However, the person on the United ticketing counter is a United uniformed person. I heave dealt with the same one on numerous occasions. She has gone above and beyond agents in the US and is a real customer service asset. If you have an issue, go straight to the UA ticket counter and they will be fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.