Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 - When do we get to officially call this Summer from Hell II?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 - When do we get to officially call this Summer from Hell II?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by Cargojon
EWR was a mess today. 6 hours late getting in on UA 1946 BOS-EWR tonight. First ground stop / ATC, then a small storm blew through our flight path. The coup de grace was taking 30 minutes to get a gate in EWR once we landed, then the air train was down.
I guess that explains the 1 am cancellation notice I received last night for my DCA-EWR 2:30pm flight today. It cited "weather in our operating network" or something like that.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
I guess that explains the 1 am cancellation notice I received last night for my DCA-EWR 2:30pm flight today. It cited "weather in our operating network" or something like that.
I suspect that either the aircraft or crew got stuck somewhere last night and as a result would not be available to operate the flight, and a replacement aircraft or crew wasn't available. Of course not having crew available for DCA when a major hub is right down the road is a little weird, so I'm going to go with the aircraft.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I suspect that either the aircraft or crew got stuck somewhere last night and as a result would not be available to operate the flight, and a replacement aircraft or crew wasn't available. Of course not having crew available for DCA when a major hub is right down the road is a little weird, so I'm going to go with the aircraft.
There were widespread cancellations and delays at IAD yesterday evening because of weather, or so they claimed!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
There were widespread cancellations and delays at IAD yesterday evening because of weather, or so they claimed!
I live 30 miles south of IAD, and I didn't see any storms in our vicinity yesterday.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Summer T-storms

Originally Posted by halls120
I live 30 miles south of IAD, and I didn't see any storms in our vicinity yesterday.
Just my 2 cents. Summer T-storms are small and very localized. Your neighbors across the street might have got the rain, but you did not. IAD is very far away from your home. If you have a smartphone app (such as MyRadar), you can post a more intelligent comment regarding IAD weather yesterday.
Happy travels.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just my 2 cents. Summer T-storms are small and very localized. Your neighbors across the street might have got the rain, but you did not. IAD is very far away from your home. If you have a smartphone app (such as MyRadar), you can post a more intelligent comment regarding IAD weather yesterday.
Happy travels.
I check accuweather every afternoon in the summer before I leave downtown DC to see if I need an umbrella for my walk home from the bus. Other than a few small cells in the Arlington area, NOVA was clear yesterday.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I check accuweather every afternoon in the summer before I leave downtown DC to see if I need an umbrella for my walk home from the bus. Other than a few small cells in the Arlington area, NOVA was clear yesterday.
EWR was clear yesterday too, but a strong system made its way across the Poughkeepsie area that had traffic coming into EWR from the north all messed up.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Happy travels.
UA's meteorology service has become so accomplished they can predict these small storms as much as 18 hours in advance. Their predictive scope is currently at terminal resolution and they hope to reach gate dimension by early next year. The ability to cancel flights so far in advance due to local weather is a huge competitive advantage over AA, DL and SW, none of whom show the same cancellation frequency at airports where they compete with United.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by luckypierre
UA's meteorology service has become so accomplished they can predict these small storms as much as 18 hours in advance. Their predictive scope is currently at terminal resolution and they hope to reach gate dimension by early next year. The ability to cancel flights so far in advance due to local weather is a huge competitive advantage over AA, DL and SW, none of whom show the same cancellation frequency at airports where they compete with United.
so that's why when I sit at the gate and know the flight is going to be delayed because the plane has not yet arrived, the board doesn't update to reflect a delay until departure time.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The ability to cancel flights so far in advance due to local weather is a huge competitive advantage over AA, DL and SW, none of whom show the same cancellation frequency at airports where they compete with United.
Industry leading cancel-ability!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by user999991
I have to think back, but I'm not sure I've been on an itinerary in the last three months where I've not experienced a delay, often substantial ones (> 3 hours).

I'm stuck in ORD right now because of the dreaded "delayed inbound aircraft". Track the aircraft back to this morning... started on time, then 30 minute delay, then one hour, then 90 minutes, and so on cascading over the day.

What's frustrating is exactly the same thing happened to me last trip--inbound delayed 2 hours, then we left 3 hours late, when we arrived at PDX there were a bunch of PAX waiting for the (late) outbound...

I'm at 932,000 lifetime miles but it's getting really painful to try to get to million miler and not sure why I'd want to anyway.
And I'm done. Booking the rest of my travel on AA this year. The delays are simply too frequent and too substantial.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by user999991
And I'm done. Booking the rest of my travel on AA this year. The delays are simply too frequent and too substantial.
What elite status do you have at UA? Planning on a comp or challenge at AA?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Yesterday SAN to DEN my flight was 4+ hours late. Late arriving aircraft. No weather anywhere for that aircraft all day. Just amazing!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fly747first
While McDonald's serves more appetizing salads than the ones UA has been catering in domestic F. My my, I never thought a chicken salad was only supposed to have 2-3 pieces of chicken.
If you're talking about the "strawberry chicken salad", I've been really enjoying it!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Post of the week!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.