Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
Can anyone remind me the UC membership fees over time (at for last 10-15 years)? so I can have some ideas about how the cost has changed at least for 1Ks. Thanks.
In 2000 I paid $2,500 for a lifetime Continental Airlines Presidents Club membership. I was Platinum Elite at the time (CO highest FF status level) so there was some discount baked in that price. IIRC the annual rate at the time would have been ~$300 so committing to LT was like 8x the annual rate.

SunLover
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Row3Acer
Can anyone remind me the UC membership fees over time (at for last 10-15 years)? so I can have some ideas about how the cost has changed at least for 1Ks. Thanks.
In the 60's or 70's my father paid $300 for a lifetime United Club (Red Carpet Club) membership. And no, I did not leave any 0's off.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Baze
In the 60's or 70's my father paid $300 for a lifetime United Club (Red Carpet Club) membership. And no, I did not leave any 0's off.
Taking 1965, those $300 would be $2,257.80 in today's money (per http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation...=300&year=1965). Hope he got (gets) to enjoy it for many years.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Taking 1965, those $300 would be $2,257.80 in today's money (per http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation...=300&year=1965). Hope he got (gets) to enjoy it for many years.
He enjoyed it for MANY years. But he passed in 2010.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
As a Lifetime member I am happy when the UC amenities are upgraded, and the thundering herd is potentially culled. Similar to the way the GS and 1K flyers were happy when elite status qualifying became more difficult.
I beg to differ, I actually feel like there are more 1K / GS members today than in the past. With less and less airline choices, people are being forced to make a selection really between three big airlines in the US.

Also, I don't think the PQDs are really driving a ton of people out (there was another thread that discussed that). Some, yes, but not a lot.

This modest price increase isn't going to drive the majority of the population away....we are all suckered into UA and UA knows they can pull another penny out of our ears still.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty amazing. Apparently you could also get an AA Admirals Club lifetime membership for only $250 back in 60's. From their history page --

"A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members – a policy that remains in effect today. The dues in 1967 were $25 per year, or $250 for a lifetime membership. Almost all Admirals at the time decided to pay the fees and retain their memberships."
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
Pretty amazing. Apparently you could also get an AA Admirals Club lifetime membership for only $250 back in 60's. From their history page --

"A change in Admirals Club membership eligibility was made in 1967 when American established an open policy of accepting dues-paying members – a policy that remains in effect today. The dues in 1967 were $25 per year, or $250 for a lifetime membership. Almost all Admirals at the time decided to pay the fees and retain their memberships."
My father had the lifetime Admirals Club membership too. And that is about what he paid.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duhey2
Have you been very recently? Heineken has been replaced by Currs Light...who knows how long St. Arnold's will be available. No more soup.
Last I was there was early April, so not super recently. Though personally I think Coors Light is an upgrade from Heineken.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
No spousal discount, another change we will like.
2 things in this smart....the further erosion of life time Premier Executive benefits (now gold with less and less to show for it) and the crimp on the lifetime members who spot their infrequently flying alone spouses the membership (and at the previous discounted gold rate...).
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
It was $1600 in the early 90s. Expensive then, but a great investment.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
In 1978 I could have gotten a Lifetime Club membership for about $250 (employee). I'm still kicking myself for not taking up that offer.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'll bet those of us who really struggled mentally with whether or not to buy a lifetime membership near the top (I got mine for $4,200 in 2010) are thankful that we sucked it up. I've put mine to good use, and while it will still take a few more years for me to break even, my genetics may have me living another 50 or 60 years.

I wonder how many lifetime UC members there are, and how many of us are still flying regularly?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:09 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Once again, United proves the prices they charge have zero underlying relationship to the quality of the product
..or by increasing the price of the product there is less demand for it which allows quality to go up (fewer people in the lounge, less food+booze being consumed)

in theory at least

Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect that this just gets paid and that people don't consider what they paid last year.
yep.

i'm chintzy and i will never pay $500/yr or $50 or $20/visit to access a lounge even if i travel every week. this is mostly out of stubborn principle (i mean, i'm a star gold..do you see how nicely golds are treated in asia?). but i imagine a lot more people would not care.

Last edited by cur; Jun 13, 2015 at 5:17 am
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:48 am

Unhappy Just Switched from AA to UA - Lounge experience so far...

I just switched from AA to UA. EP on AA now only Gold on United...so far the lounge experience has not even come close to meeting my expectaton. No seats, food offerings are poor, current (or future) services are NOT worth the new $550.00 per year. Oh, and if you don't want to "enjoy" the stale bagel sticks and canned fruit...you have to leave the club to eat because no outside food allowed... . When asked why...UA customer service indicated it was "too smelly".

Really questioning my switch...and its only been 2 months.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hotelexec2002
I just switched from AA to UA. EP on AA now only Gold on United...so far the lounge experience has not even come close to meeting my expectaton. No seats, food offerings are poor, current (or future) services are NOT worth the new $550.00 per year. Oh, and if you don't want to "enjoy" the stale bagel sticks and canned fruit...you have to leave the club to eat because no outside food allowed... . When asked why...UA customer service indicated it was "too smelly".

Really questioning my switch...and its only been 2 months.
Did you switch for the lounge experience? UA is improving the food and it is better, not great, but better. Has not made it to all lounges yet. You don't show where you are using the lounge so can't say anything about when you will see the changes. You could save a lot on lounge membership by getting the Chase UA Club Visa card, annual fee is $395 and includes full membership in the club. And Gold gets a little discount too if don't want to go the CC route.

If you were EXP on AA why are you only Gold on UA? You could do a challenge for better status. Or are you still flying AA and UA is only a backup?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.