Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

Old Jun 11, 15, 9:19 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation United Club pricing increases [Effective June 11, 2015]

Just got an email stating that there will be increases United Club memberships effective August 18.

From the email...

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program based on feedback that we've received from our members. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at most of our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience for our members, we're announcing the following changes to our membership program:

■ Effective today, June 11, 2015, the standard annual membership price is $550/70,000 award miles.

■ We no longer offer a discounted membership for spouses. To add a spouse, an additional $550/70,000 award miles annual membership fee will apply, but only a single initiation fee will be charged for both members.

■ Discounts provided to some of our Premier® members will change effective August 18, 2015.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:21 am

Crazy price in miles - that's a one way business class ticket to almost anywhere.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
That's a little pricey for an over-crowded club that offers free membership to CC holders.

Wonder if there's a discount for 1K...if not I won't be renewing.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:23 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just got the email. So $50 more? I can eat that in soup, scones and cold cuts

As soon as they used the word "investment', I knew the price of admission was going up.

The new tables:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont..._date=20150611

Had breakfast in the PHL club. Yep, that ain't worth $550 a year....

Last edited by PushingTin; Jun 11, 15 at 12:15 pm
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I wonder about spouse discounts for lifetime members. Is there still a way to add the spouse?
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
I have the PP card...so hopefully means zero impact to me. Happy if it thins the crowds a bit, TBH.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Good...we need to cull the membership so that I can find a seat. It's gotten ridiculous.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver
It's apparently still going to be $395 for the Chase Club credit card, though... so many folks may just choose to pay the annual fee.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:32 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by trainsplanes View Post
It's apparently still going to be $395 for the Chase Club credit card, though... so many folks may just choose to pay the annual fee.
Yeah. I bet the annual fee increases to $450 soon
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
Good...we need to cull the membership so that I can find a seat. It's gotten ridiculous.
It is hard to argue that they shouldn't increase the price, given the crowds.

Originally Posted by trainsplanes View Post
Perhaps one of the motivations is to encourage more people to switch to the card. If half of the people that are unwilling to pay the new fee drop their membership, and the other half switch to the credit card, then that's doubly good: reduced membership to reduce crowding, more fees from members that stay, and more credit card members. I suspect that the people that have the $395 credit card are more valuable to United on average than the $155 "lost" on the regular club member fees.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that this just gets paid and that people don't consider what they paid last year.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just got the email. I've had a paid membership for 5 years. Don't see any way I renew unless I decide to get yet another Chase card, which is doubtful.

I don't understand the business case for driving direct revenue away from your business to a third party which, at best, provides UA with ~80% of the annual fee for club membership, based on Chase pricing.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Once again, United proves the prices they charge have zero underlying relationship to the quality of the product
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
Just got the email. So $50 more? I can eat that in soup, scones and cold cuts

As soon as I used the word "investment', I knew the price of admission was going up.

Had breakfast in the PHL club. Yep, that ain't worth $550 a year....
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
The new menu rolls out at our ORD Clubs this week, expands to the rest of our domestic hubs by the end of the summer, and will be at our remaining locations by the end of the year.
They could have at least waited til the rolled out the improvements to all of their locations before jacking up the prices. Especially if they are citing the improvements as the reason.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:52 am

Programs: UA S; Hyatt E;
I can't believe I'm writing this, but in United's defense, their recent food upgrades to the club actually make a membership somewhat palatable. With the previous offering of snacks (chex mix, crappy cookies, etc.) AND overcrowded clubs - it was completely insane.

It's still pricey but I could see myself paying it given my frequency of travel.

The upgrades have been at most of the Clubs I've visited, save for BOS. I think they're planning to finish rolling out by end of summer, so perhaps they've hit that tipping point.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: