Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:20 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

P fares to Hawaii are very available. If you restrict yourself to specific days (Saturdays) or some peak times of year, or book late, you might run into more Z fares. 2nd half of December’ll cost you.
Thursday to Monday ORD-OGG-ORD nonstop; no flexibility. Early December. Got P on the way back on Monday, but P0 on the way out on Thursday and ponied up the shockingly low extra $65 for Z on that flight. Some screwy pricing or something; P and Z are usually more than $100 apart on an 8-hour flight, so no complaints.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Ari
Thursday to Monday ORD-OGG-ORD nonstop; no flexibility. Early December. Got P on the way back on Monday, but P0 on the way out on Thursday and ponied up the shockingly low extra $65 for Z on that flight. Some screwy pricing or something; P and Z are usually more than $100 apart on an 8-hour flight, so no complaints.
There is definitely some different pricing going on for that route. It used to be that you could get P easily if you booked far enough out. Now not as much -- especially for December
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the overall experience, but seeing that you say it is typical of domestic first, aside from lie-flat seats, that tells me a lot.

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Booking that far in advance is going to burn you (assuming Ari is booking for December 2018). Also of note, there are many different P fares and Z fares, and the highest P fare and lowest Z fare are not usually that far apart.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pkerr
Thanks for your input. I'm starting to lean towards the STL-DEN-LIH routing. Less of a chance for things to go wrong and we'll get there sooner.
Dont you have to come home? Why not just go STL-DEN-LIH going and LIH-HNL-ORD/DEN/EWR-STL back? Should be the same price, more or less, and you can try out both planes
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Dont you have to come home? Why not just go STL-DEN-LIH going and LIH-HNL-ORD/DEN/EWR-STL back? Should be the same price, more or less, and you can try out both planes
I’m returning on AA. LIH-HNL-DFW-STL.
I’ll give their 777-200 a try and be able to compare those 2 products with each other.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
On a slightly related note... my 757 in F/J from DEN - LIH. do they supply headphones / ear buds or do I need to bring my own?
Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
On a slightly related note... my 757 in F/J from DEN - LIH. do they supply headphones / ear buds or do I need to bring my own?
Thanks
They’re supplied.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
Honestly every flight should have lie flats to/from Hawaii (HNL).
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:10 pm

Ewr to HNL the crew was awful. The food wasn’t good.

we did get the new Big saks pillow and the nice blanket.

we packed our own food and Ann FA gave us trouble with it.

im also a 1k and my wife is a gold and they refused to take our meal orders together so my wife did not get the choice she wanted.

they also did both meal services in the first 4.5 hours of the flight.

for what they charge in dollars and miles the service is god awful. That level of service is “fine” on a 1.5hr flight. But this flight pushes 11hrs. It’s longer than most EUROPE flights.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
...for what they charge in dollars and miles the service is god awful. That level of service is “fine” on a 1.5hr flight. But this flight pushes 11hrs. It’s longer than most EUROPE flights...
I guess you don't travel much to Europe in Business. United charges (on average) far less for EWR-HNL than it does for EWR-Europe. United realizes far less revenue per seat-mile to Hawaii than to/from Europe. And you expect to be treated better on EWR-Hawaii solely because it's a longer flight than EWR-Europe? There's more at play than what you pay, which (contrary to what you think) wasn't that much. You're getting a bargain for the distance. Not excusing bad service, but you're living in LaLA land if you expect Polaris-level service. It's marketed as domestic First food/service, nothing else. What did you pay for an 11-hour trip to Hawaii in a lie-flat seat? I'm flying HNL-LAX-EWR-HNL all in lie flat for about $2k r.t next month. Never flew for work in BusinessFirst to Europe that cheap. There's a reason Polaris isn't offered on Hawaii flights from IAD, ORD, IAH, and EWR. I've paid (well, my employer) once $12,000 for less than a 10-hour r.t flight to London from Houston, averaged $6-8k. I'm guessing you paid nowhere near those numbers.

Only 1Ks get the 1st choice. Are you saying that (as a 1K), you should get what you want and then your Gold wife should also get what she wants, potentially taking the choice from another 1K or GS? If you get to Million Miler status, you can nominate her as your companion 1K and she can get her choice, too.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 16, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:32 pm

I routinely fly to asia from Newark which is twice the physical distance. Often that ticket is about 5500-6000 round trip.

this was a little over 3 so in a distance to dollar point of view it lines up.

either way I’m not asking for Polaris service. I am asking for better than the crap domestic service we got.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
I routinely fly to asia from Newark which is twice the physical distance. Often that ticket is about 5500-6000 round trip.

this was a little over 3 so in a distance to dollar point of view it lines up.

either way I’m not asking for Polaris service. I am asking for better than the crap domestic service we got.
Twice the physical distance? "Dollar point of view it lines up."? I guess you're 1) not a geography professor or 2) a mathematician. On average, UA realizes more from their Polaris routes than from their Hawaii routes per seat-mile. That's just fact. It is because of that fact that UA does not want to treat you like the royalty and/or provide Polaris service. You have a choice of airlines. I'd suggest Hawaiian out of JFK.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There have certainly been lots of complaints about UA's service in F EWR-HNL, particularly the inadequacy of the meals given the length of the flights, and I doubt it's gotten better with the recent meal cuts. I believe also that's going to be a senior EWR-based sCO crew, which can mean meal with one drink service and disappear into the galley for the rest of the flight.

You're mostly paying for the lie-flat seat, which is not an insignificant feature for a flight of that length.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Twice the physical distance? "Dollar point of view it lines up."? I guess you're 1) not a geography professor or 2) a mathematician. On average, UA realizes more from their Polaris routes than from their Hawaii routes per seat-mile. That's just fact. It is because of that fact that UA does not want to treat you like the royalty and/or provide Polaris service. You have a choice of airlines. I'd suggest Hawaiian out of JFK.
HLG flight is 8100miles and HNL flight is 4800. Not quiet double but it’s pretty damn close in miles.

i am not asking to be treated “like royalty” I am asking for them to space meal service out, check in with drink services, and in general be friendly.

all things that should be expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.