Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jp12687

HLG flight is 8100miles and HNL flight is 4800. Not quiet double but it’s pretty damn close in miles.

i am not asking to be treated “like royalty” I am asking for them to space meal service out, check in with drink services, and in general be friendly.

all things that should be expected.
No disagreement but this is/was an EWR crew you were referring to. Unfortunately.

David
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
hlg flight is 8100miles and hnl flight is 4800. Not quiet double but it’s pretty damn close in miles.

from gcmmap
hkg (22°18'32"n 113°54'53"e) ewr (40°41'33"n 74°10'07"w)7° (n)8065 mi
ewr (40°41'33"n 74°10'07"w) hnl (21°19'04"n 157°55'13"w)283° (w)4962 mi

hkg-ewr = 1.6 * hnl-ewr
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Just off UA310 LAX-KOA on the 739. There were maybe 40 people on board with a decent number of F seats open. I actually walked to the back and laid down for awhile. PS - I thought the Mai Tai's were great. FA talked me into it as I don't like sickly sweet drinks and it really was pretty good.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
We fly F ORD-HNL every winter-we just returned in February-we loike the lie flat seats, the crew was fine, very pleasant, helpful,food was edible, the flights were on time-that is all I expect!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:15 pm

Having read this thread with interest, I was disappointed to find no saver award space on any of the aforementioned routes. I am looking almost 8 months out for Jan 2019, is this par for the course for UA?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes. The economy is doing well and people are paying for F on vacation.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
I was disappointed to find no saver award space on any of the aforementioned routes. I am looking almost 8 months out for Jan 2019, is this par for the course for UA?
Yes, these are extremely popular routes. Check daily and you may get lucky. Award space is dynamic, it comes and it goes, often quickly.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I booked my wife saver economy award tickets for xxx-EWR-HNL (May 31) and HNL-EWR-xxx (june 8) in March. When IN space was open, I changed xxx-EWR-HNL to xxx-IAD-HNL.On return, I changed her ticket to HNL-IAD-xxx (June 9) when X/XN opened up at T-4 days. When I/IN space was open for HNL-EWR (June 9; Saturday) a day later, I change her ticket to HNL-EWR-xxx. Of course, 1K status allowed me to have the free changes. The waitlisting for IN space helped, too. On HNL-EWR flight on June 9, two non-rev's cleared into First. Both R and IN spaces (>4) were open at T-3 days for both HNL-IAD (May 8, Friday) and HNL-EWR (May 9, Sat) flights. So, one just has to check the availability, at least, daily.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Having read this thread with interest, I was disappointed to find no saver award space on any of the aforementioned routes. I am looking almost 8 months out for Jan 2019, is this par for the course for UA?
In my experience, they farther out you look, the less likely you'll find saver F space especially on the lie-flat planes.

There is definite softness for the moment - the planes haven't been as full - Hawaiian just lowered guidance and today announced some inter-island cutbacks to the Big Island. And yes, all the other islands are not impacted, but a lot of people watching the news think the entire state is on fire. Even the Big Island has a small area impacted.

I've recently been upgraded on a fairly regular basis which is a huge change.

If you want lie-flat - they tend to open up last minute (in my experience). For instance, you can grab (at the time I write this) a SFO-HNL saver lie flat at 2:20pm tomorrow.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
In my experience, they farther out you look, the less likely you'll find saver F space especially on the lie-flat planes.

If you want lie-flat - they tend to open up last minute (in my experience). For instance, you can grab (at the time I write this) a SFO-HNL saver lie flat at 2:20pm tomorrow.
Absolutely, they want to sell these lie flats full fare and yes the best chance is last minute. Having said that, I recented posted this on another thread that I just cleared an RPU 10 days out for this Saturdays flight SFO -KOA, in all the years I have flown there I have NEVER cleared one this far out.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:52 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
For business class award seats....I’m assuming it’s possible to book standard awards and then change 1 or 2 of them to saver when they open up???
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ericka
For business class award seats....I’m assuming it’s possible to book standard awards and then change 1 or 2 of them to saver when they open up???
Absolutely. If they open up!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Absolutely. If they open up!
What about booking mixed cabin awards, and then converting the Y segment to J when/if it opens up? I understand there is a waitlist process to do it automatically but it hasn't worked for me in the past.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
What about booking mixed cabin awards, and then converting the Y segment to J when/if it opens up? I understand there is a waitlist process to do it automatically but it hasn't worked for me in the past.
From the threads, there is indication that waitlisting for I space works. I would waitlist.

You "should" be able to convert the Y to J segment when/if it opens up. However, there are mixed reports that your other segment must also have J availability in order to book it. YMMV. I would waitlist.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka
Sure, but if you book standard awards in advance, you've taken seats out of inventory thus potentially reducing the chance a saver award will open.

If you are willing to do a standard award, you might as well book those last minute also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.