Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

True confessions: Is UA/ MP your ally or enemy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

True confessions: Is UA/ MP your ally or enemy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
booking away whenever I can? That's a good development?
Yes, if the formerly loyal AA customers are also "booking away" on UA when it's more convenient. That makes both AA and UA better off.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOflyer33
If you were buying last minute tickets and getting little to no increased recognition previously, it is your ally
Well, it depends on what you mean by "ally". I buy a lot of last-minute domestic tickets, which means that this year (as a 1K) I've been spending an inordinate amount of time in middle seats in E- (even on an M or B fare). The fact that I'm getting a lot more RDMs which United can devalue at will hardly makes MP an ally.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2MM, AA MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sogboulder
Well, it depends on what you mean by "ally". I buy a lot of last-minute domestic tickets, which means that this year (as a 1K) I've been spending an inordinate amount of time in middle seats in E- (even on an M or B fare). The fact that I'm getting a lot more RDMs which United can devalue at will hardly makes MP an ally.
UA already has the largest E+ section relative to DL or AA. The middle seat E- situation will only be exacerbated elsewhere
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOflyer33
UA already has the largest E+ section relative to DL or AA. The middle seat E- situation will only be exacerbated elsewhere
I've been upgraded on every AA flight I've taken this year.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am loyal to certain United products, ones that distinguish them in the marketplace.
However, their mileage program is no longer one of those features.

I have found that I miss United's products when I ran into difficulty with other airlines.
No need to go into too much detail but it's funny how quickly some people tend to overlook things that are actually quite important.

As much as people complain about United, you have to wonder why they continue to fly this airline.
It's just best to ignore the chronic complainers. They're merely waiting for that handout, one $25 cert at a time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
UA/MP is definitely my ally. I used to spread my flying amongst UA and AA. As of this year, I have consolidated everything over to UA:

- upgrade rate on UA far surpasses what I was getting on AA (I am a late booker and my hit rate on AA was about 50% versus almost 100% on UA)
- superior ability to earn RDMs on UA versus AA
- route network to Asia and MENA is better on UA versus AA
- GS is superior to CK; having been a GS and CK for the past three years, I can tell you that GS is by far better on UA than is CK on AA

For these reasons, I look at UA/MP as my ally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.