Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chris Roberts/One World Labs News Stories Related to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of Chris Roberts/One World Labs News Stories Related to UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
If he were to apologize and promise to behave himself then I would hope that UA would allow him back on its flights after a suitable period.

My impression is that he's not likely to do that.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by JBord
How about getting your research published in a respectable trade journal? I'm not in the IT or security business, but I am a long-time professional in my industry, and tweeting about stuff like this just comes across as childish.
Trade journals are easily ignored. Employee reports are easily ignored. If you look back at most of the major breaches they are have a history of ignored warnings from inside and outside the company. I would be shocked if his Twitter stunt hasn't shed more light and attention on the topic than any published article would have. So, from an effectiveness standpoint, Twitter was more likely to get something done despite your views. I am not disagreeing with your views but the role of social media in terms of reporting security issues is evolving - mostly due to the lack of action or attention businesses have placed on more traditional methods of disclosure
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
it feels like this thread is moving into the foil-hat zone, when it's mentioned he had no other recourse besides social media because he was being quieted. Really? When does Mulder and Scully get put on the case?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

I have no problem with spreading concerns about aircraft safety by social media. It's making threats toward the flight you are on that's a problem.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Garten
I have no problem with spreading concerns about aircraft safety by social media. It's making threats toward the flight you are on that's a problem.
I have a huge issue with the line being crossed to focus on specific flights, airframes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Exterous
(As a side note I don't think he actually did anything to the plane so I am not sure 'experimenting' is the appropriate adjective)
If you watch some of his previous talks (such as the one linked above) he claims to have actually hacked everything from commercial airplanes to military rockets to public buses. He even details how to sneak onto the tarmac at an airport in order to do so (hint: it's easy, you just go in via the private aviation entrance, and then you can just walk up to the 747's in the rest of the airport)

Either he's ........ting, or he deserves to never be allowed on/near any form of public transport in the future.

You can probably guess which of the above my money is on...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by docbert
Either he's ........ting, or he deserves to never be allowed on/near any form of public transport in the future.
Or both?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JakiChan
And he didn't. He tweeted.

Actually, when someone doesn't respond to your vulnerabilities, then yeah twitter is a way to do it. He's tried to talk to the various agencies in the past but they weren't interested in talking to him. Bet they are now.

Meanwhile, they stole his property without a warrant. But hey, don't let rights get in the way of the infosec boogyman.

So, you're all good with your 4th amendment rights being violated? I'll be right over for your computers, then.

It's called Aspergers. Very common in technical fields. If anyone looks "off" to me it's the jack-booted FBI thugs. They aren't to be trusted one iota.

Don't worry. I'm sure we've all learned our lesson. Keep quite and sell those zero-days straight to ISIS.

For a more rational take on the subject:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...twork-security
You can't yell fire in a crowded theater (unless there really is a fire). That is a crime and it is NOT protected by free speech. He did the equivalent, he tweeted while on the flight that he could do something, not protected and is definitely fine that it was perceived as a threat and possibly a crime and there are many statutes that allow his property to be seized when he did this. And under some statutes a warrant is not even needed as this could have been perceived as a terrorist threat.

Last edited by Baze; Apr 22, 2015 at 11:46 am Reason: Edit to add (unless there really is a fire)
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Career tip for the next interview/resume bullet

"I couldn't get my work published so I tweeted it"

Let us know how that works out.

I think this thread has run its useful course.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Career tip for the next interview/resume bullet

"I couldn't get my work published so I tweeted it"

Let us know how that works out.

I think this thread has run its useful course.
Agreed. Buh bye.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek
it feels like this thread is moving into the foil-hat zone, when it's mentioned he had no other recourse besides social media because he was being quieted. Really? When does Mulder and Scully get put on the case?
I think 'no other recourse' is a leap that is not supported by the discussion here. Is there a long and well established history of companies ignoring\suppressing warnings? Absolutely - Apple, Sony, Home Depot, Target etc etc etc have had warnings that were not addressed much to the detriment of their customers and were not disclosed until after the breach. Does that mean he had no other possible recourse? No and I don't believe anyone has said that. I do, however, think that this Twitter incident has garnered FAR more interest on the issue of UA security than a traditional publishing or warning would have.

As a slight aside - working in the IT consulting field it was quite eye opening to see how many vulnerabilities go unfixed for a myriad of reasons of which apathy, cost and convenience seem to be the top 3. A breach is a nebulous concept that is often viewed as a small risk when compared with the very real capital expenditure to fix the issue. Often company security relies heavily on obscurity to effective as opposed to good practices (Passwords stored in plain text in 2015?! Come on already!). But you throw in a bit of bad publicity and the costs suddenly become real enough to be worth throwing money at the issue in a knee jerk reaction
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... (As a side note I don't think he actually did anything to the plane so I am not sure 'experimenting' is the appropriate adjective)
from the original posted article
Roberts also told CNN he was able to connect to a box under his seat at least a dozen times to view data from the aircraft's engines, fuel and flight-management systems.
Connecting to a private system is an overt act.

I am troubled by the two wrongs make a right line of discussion.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Garten
If he were to apologize and promise to behave himself then I would hope that UA would allow him back on its flights after a suitable period.
Not me, I hope he is banned for life, not only from UA, but from all US commercial aircraft.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
from the original posted article
Connecting to a private system is an overt act.
Ah I missed that part

I am troubled by the two wrongs make a right line of discussion.
I certainly have not said anywhere that two wrongs make a right only that this was likely an effective method of bringing it to United's attention. Effectiveness is a value separate from a right and wrong judgement
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:14 am
Suspended

I certainly have not said anywhere that two wrongs make a right only that this was likely an effective method of bringing it to United's attention. Effectiveness is a value separate from a right and wrong judgement
When the guy acts like a jerk to the point that UA feels they need to ban him from their flights it makes it harder, not easier, for them to also acknowledge anything that's valid in what he's saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.