Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chris Roberts/One World Labs News Stories Related to UA

Old Apr 19, 15, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?

http://www.sfgate.com/business/techn...ng-6209641.php
Old Apr 19, 15, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Given the previous history of
Roberts had been removed from an earlier United flight Wednesday by the FBI and questioned for four hours after jokingly suggesting on Twitter he could get the oxygen masks on the plane to deploy. Authorities also seized his laptop and other electronics.
does this surprise you?
Old Apr 19, 15, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I was passing the story on without comment. Having said that, I am not aware of any aircraft being brought down by oxygen masks being deployed when they shouldn't be. Also, he was rebooked on WN, and from what one gathers, he didn't bring that flight down. I am sure we all have our own personal feelings about "Authorities also seized his laptop", but that would be a topic for OMNI, or, if too controversial for OMNI, Checkpoints and Border Policy Debate.
Old Apr 19, 15, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Perhaps he should practice responsible disclosure instead of tweeting if he wants to continue flying UA?

Also I don't believe his claims he got to EICAS through the IFE wifi.
Old Apr 19, 15, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sounds like he got just the sort of publicity that he wanted for his theories about the vulnerabilities of aircraft.

Which may be a good thing if it leads to the discovery and fixing of true problems.
Old Apr 19, 15, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think we need more independent research on aircraft safety, but they shouldn't act like jerks, as a frequent UA traveler I'm happy to have him banned from UA.
Old Apr 19, 15, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Having said that, I am not aware of any aircraft being brought down by oxygen masks being deployed when they shouldn't be.
Deploying oxygen masks will require the plane to divert to a nearby airport and land. Is that "being brought down"?

And yes, it does happened occasionally (although presumably not due to passenger interference). eg, http://www.avherald.com/h?article=425a183c
Old Apr 19, 15, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Understandable action from UA.
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
let him fly other airlines. ^
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Sounds like he got just the sort of publicity that he wanted for his theories about the vulnerabilities of aircraft.
As far as I know, he's never demonstrated his theories, so I take him with a grain of salt and view it all as a publicity stunt.
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
As far as I know, he's never demonstrated his theories, so I take him with a grain of salt and view it all as a publicity stunt.
Agreed, I suspect he is full of stool. But if he is right, we're all better off if the airlines find out and correct the vulnerabilities.
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:45 pm

Programs: USAirways CHPR , UA 1K M, AA PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Diamond, Holiday Inn.
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
let him fly other airlines. ^
This is not a joking matter. I agree - let him fly other airlines. ^
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
But if he is right, we're all better off if the airlines find out and correct the vulnerabilities.
Roberts figures that if he makes enough random claims, one of them just might be right and he can justify his existence.
Old Apr 19, 15, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Deploying oxygen masks will require the plane to divert to a nearby airport and land. Is that "being brought down"?

And yes, it does happened occasionally (although presumably not due to passenger interference). eg, http://www.avherald.com/h?article=425a183c
Not to mention if he breached the system what's to say he wouldn't cause a part of it to fail that he didn't even consider.

UA is right to deny him boarding. I hope they ban him for life. Why would anyone joke about it or tip their hand if they were going to do something. The guy's a tool.
Old Apr 19, 15, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Well, no surprise here. United is the largest fear-mongering airline in the country. I'm surprised they haven't scared themselves out of the commercial aviation world and switched over to charters/cargo.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: