Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Yes, the meal choices are more but out of the 3 options listed, I would pick neither:

2 of the 3 appear to be vegetarian: ravioli and noodles. The 3rd - turkey meatloaf - I can maybe go for but I don't like sweet potatoes, so don't see that as an improvement over what they offer currently.

I last flew transatlantic 2 months ago and the meat option was chicken and I was extremely pleased - the chicken portion was pretty big and the meal overall was tasty. The other 2 options were vegetarian I believe, so no real change there after June 1st.

When they announced going from 2 to 3 meal choices internationally, I thought it would be the other way around 2-to-1 in favor of the meat options. I doubt that there are that many vegetarians on board that they require 2 meal options. Having a combination of beef, chicken and/or turkey and a vegetarian option should be sufficient.

I don't drink alcohol, so the return of complimentary beer and wine has 0 effect on me. In fact, I view the meal options as a downgrade, so don't see this announcement as a positive.
I agree with you. I don't understand why there is only 1 meat choice and 2 vegetarian options? I do like alcohol so that's a plus.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
I agree with you. I don't understand why there is only 1 meat choice and 2 vegetarian options? I do like alcohol so that's a plus.
You really think that's meat in those non-veg dishes?

As unavaca noted above, there's a difference between meat and airplane meat. @:-)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
And this is why i'll stick with my decision of flying AF and BA overseas versus switching back to UA.

Originally Posted by BearX220
No such thing as short-haul TATL.
EWR-SNN, EWR-DUB, and even IAD-DUB are often about the same time in the air as BOS-SFO/LAX.

And don't even get me started about short TATLs on those fuel stops at BGR LOL
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder what kinds of special vintage wine and craft beer will be offered in Y under this new largesse?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
You really think that's meat in those non-veg dishes?

As unavaca noted above, there's a difference between meat and airplane meat. @:-)
I'm sure the meatloaf is mostly sawdust.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Finally a #FlyerFriendly change! Something to actually look forward to
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
This is a HUGE improvement. I don't care what the circumstances were that necessitated this change, although I think TODs probably helped fund it. I'm happy to see it although I'm curious as to benefit will have to be stripped back because of this.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:50 pm

Only on TATL/TPAC flights with block times 10h + is the mid-flight snack going away. In it's a place BOB snack boxes will be offered. Main meal & pre-arrival meal services will still continue to be complimentary.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:35 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
United is devaluing drink coupons!!!!!!!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I applaud the improvement. I usually don't fly Y when I go trans-atlantic. I did last month and can honestly say the meal was worse that what they serve in nursing homes.

The change on mid-flight snacks is okay. I carry my own snacks on flights anyway. On a TATL flight,I prefer to sleep as much as I can. I can get a small can of Pringles from Target or elsewhere for less than $1 and often stores like Walgreen's will have the small cans on special 2/$1. The big theater size boxes of candy are usually $1 at many stores.

This is not cost-neutral. Remember United continues to devalue the benefits for frequent flyers - harder to earn miles, more to fly.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Yes, the meal choices are more but out of the 3 options listed, I would pick neither:

2 of the 3 appear to be vegetarian: ravioli and noodles. The 3rd - turkey meatloaf - I can maybe go for but I don't like sweet potatoes, so don't see that as an improvement over what they offer currently.

I last flew transatlantic 2 months ago and the meat option was chicken and I was extremely pleased - the chicken portion was pretty big and the meal overall was tasty. The other 2 options were vegetarian I believe, so no real change there after June 1st.

When they announced going from 2 to 3 meal choices internationally, I thought it would be the other way around 2-to-1 in favor of the meat options. I doubt that there are that many vegetarians on board that they require 2 meal options. Having a combination of beef, chicken and/or turkey and a vegetarian option should be sufficient.

I don't drink alcohol, so the return of complimentary beer and wine has 0 effect on me. In fact, I view the meal options as a downgrade, so don't see this announcement as a positive.
Not everyone who eats meat feels like they need to have it at every meal. I would be surprised if we can ever count on there being even one veg option consistently, without special ordering it. There is supposed to be one in domestic F now and so far I haven't encountered it.

Wonder what this means for special ordering meals now. I'd be afraid it would end up like every pizza situation ever where meat eaters eat all the cheese pizza.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Mrs LHRSFO and I were agreeing yesterday that the only good thing about the catering was the mid-flight ice cream. And why on earth are they going to serve cheese before a meal?

Having said that, this is very much a positive move. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Only on TATL/TPAC flights with block times 10h + is the mid-flight snack going away. In it's a place BOB snack boxes will be offered. Main meal & pre-arrival meal services will still continue to be complimentary.
I really give credit for UA trying to improve the onboard experience, but it's like take one step forward and one step back. Here they are are improving the main meal service and adding back complimentary wine/beer in Economy yet charging for the mid-flight snack.

You really don't see this at least on the TPAC flights with block times of 10h+ on SQ, NH, OZ, JL.

I am really curious to see how this is going to work on the 744/777 especially since the mid-flight snack happens when staffing isn't at full strength due to crew breaks. I hear so many stories of passengers in Y asking for the mid-flight noodles that went away in Y a while ago and when they find out they will have to pay for a mid-flight snack I'm not too sure what the reaction will be.

My guess is that many people will decline the mid-flight snack, but if the number of people wanting a mid-flight snack is high, then it might take quite a while for the transactions to be processed. I wonder what is the Plan B should the handheld devices malfunction.

I guess we shall find out June 1.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver

Yeah, in general an improvement (free box wine), but I puked into my mouth a bit when I read the descriptions listed (especially the meatloaf). Hopefully these are only a couple of a large number of new meals. Odd that it doesn't mention how many will be offered per flight.

Better, hopefully I can keep myself in the front side of the plane and not have to sample these.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by hyho61
So UA which was the last holdout on complimentary beer/wine will join all the other airlines, barring very few on the TATL flights. Good.

What will happen to the free mid flight snack which they are giving on EWR-BOM/DEL, ORD-China, EWR-HKG flights and IAH-LOS flights. The mid flight snack actually is given right after the main meal service and then the next service is the pre arrival meal on these ULH flights. Do we have to purchase them or will that still be complimentary.

And one more thing still no complimentary meal or beer/wine on the service to Peru, these flights are long (7 hrs +).
EWR/IAH - LIM have and will continue to offer 2 complimentary meal services during the flight. Main meal after takeoff pre-arrival snack service 90 minutes prior to arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.