Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-Codeshares: Changing 4U / Booking away from 4U (Germanwings 4U Flight 9525)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA-Codeshares: Changing 4U / Booking away from 4U (Germanwings 4U Flight 9525)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Question UA-Codeshares: Changing 4U / Booking away from 4U (Germanwings 4U Flight 9525)

I was just reading the following blurb over on a.net:

dcaviation From Poland, joined Aug 2011, 232 posts, RR: 0

The perception in Poland WAS that Lufthansa is better. Until the Germanwings crash. Nobody in Poland talks about Germanwings, but everybody talks about Lufthansa crash.
Regular Joe Shmoe will avoid Lufthansa this summer because of the crash. We will see reduction in frequencies or aircraft downsizing on the Germany-Poland routes.

And so was wondering, in light of possible concerns around a) cockpit-policies and/or b) pilot-vetting at LH/4U:
  • Has UA offered a change-fee waiver (officially or unofficially) to allow customers to change existing 4U-operated UA-codeshares to some other *A partner?
  • Have folks here on FT intentionally booked away from 4U-operated UA-codeshares?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I'm about to make a booking requiring connections in Europe and I expect at least one leg to be on germanwings; I'm not concerned in the least with flying them.

I would be surprised if there's anything official from UA on changing away from germanwings, but would not be shocked if they offered a courtesy waiver of a change fee if you raised serious concerns. I think doing so is overreacting, but some agent may accept the argument.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've booked away from 4U codeshares intentionally, but I did that before the accident as well. Reason being that the 4U leg doesn't seem to confirm at the time of booking, and on several occasions 4U did not ticket the reservation, causing my entire itinerary to vanish.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I had a 4U codeshare not ticket correctly last year; the awesome agent worked with me to open 2 seats in saver J for me on UA's direct to CDG. Glad it didn't ticket in the end - got me into Paris hours earlier.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by IAATM
I was just reading the following blurb over on a.net:

dcaviation From Poland, joined Aug 2011, 232 posts, RR: 0

The perception in Poland WAS that Lufthansa is better. Until the Germanwings crash. Nobody in Poland talks about Germanwings, but everybody talks about Lufthansa crash.
Regular Joe Shmoe will avoid Lufthansa this summer because of the crash. We will see reduction in frequencies or aircraft downsizing on the Germany-Poland routes.

And so was wondering, in light of possible concerns around a) cockpit-policies and/or b) pilot-vetting at LH/4U:
  • Has UA offered a change-fee waiver (officially or unofficially) to allow customers to change existing 4U-operated UA-codeshares to some other *A partner?
  • Have folks here on FT intentionally booked away from 4U-operated UA-codeshares?
If you call and make a polite fuss about it, 8/10 agents will arrange a switch at no charge if something close to what you originally had is available -- especially if you get a legacy CO agent (they were great about switching away from Colgan-operated COEX flights a few years back).
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:59 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Typically miles on 4U codeshares do not accrue to UA MP flyers. The same is true for most other codeshares with LH (Air Malta, IB, etc). Even on LH proper, it's not guaranteed, depending on fare class.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1P
Typically miles on 4U codeshares do not accrue to UA MP flyers. The same is true for most other codeshares with LH (Air Malta, IB, etc). Even on LH proper, it's not guaranteed, depending on fare class.
?
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=625
That's quite a few fare classes it looks to me.

I have LHR-TXL on 4U and not once did it cross my mind to swap because of the crash.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:33 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
This is the bit you need to beware of:

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned. MileagePlus award miles earned may vary depending on the Premier status of the customer.
What that basically means is that it's a crapshoot when it's a codeshare your're talking about. And if you believe that almost all the Germanwings fare classes will earn full miles, compared with many LH fare classes on more expensive tickets that don't earn miles, then good luck!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1P
.... And if you believe that almost all the Germanwings fare classes will earn full miles, compared with many LH fare classes on more expensive tickets that don't earn miles, then good luck!
Looking at 4U fare classes and 4U MP earning table, it appears all 4U fares on a non-016 ticket will earn 100% miles or better on all 4U fares and 100% or better PQMs.

Do you have different information?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.