Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
We're arguing semantics. The point is, UA no longer uses charts. Any reference to a price based upon an old chart is therefore no longer valid. The fact that this increase does not apply to every market in the region is proof of this.

My primary point is that nobody would have created a thread, or commented on it, just because they saw a cash price increase. We need to treat award flights the same way, because that's what UA is doing.

Every seat on a UA-operated flight is available. If you would like to pay fewer miles, your inventory options are smaller, and possibly non-existent. (Although, if you're patient, they may return). There is no fallacy here -- just a difference of opinion, and your opinion, while very pro-consumer, is obviously not shared by UA, based on their actions.
Yes, you are arguing about semantics, because on paper everything is dynamic pricing. However, in practice, there has always been and so far there is still a lowest possible award pricing that's fixed to most airports in a region, regardless whether it's high or low seasons. That fact is easy to verify and I can't find better ways to convince you.

And that lowest possible award just got a significant jump (as far as the Europe region is concerned). That means the maximum possible value of the points just got a significant devaluation if planning for a Europe use. That's why people are posting about it. I actually just noticed it myself today while doing some leisure searches myself. That's why I came to this forum to see if anyone else noticed it. Obviously quite some people have the same expectation as me where there was reasonable possibility of finding a round trip ticket to Europe for 60-66k, and that possibility just disappeared for all practical purpose.
nsx likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by fttc
Yes, you are arguing about semantics, because on paper everything is dynamic pricing. However, in practice, there has always been and so far there is still a lowest possible award pricing that's fixed to most airports in a region, regardless whether it's high or low seasons. That fact is easy to verify and I can't find better ways to convince you.

And that lowest possible award just got a significant jump (as far as the Europe region is concerned). That means the maximum possible value of the points just got a significant devaluation if planning for a Europe use. That's why people are posting about it. I actually just noticed it myself today while doing some leisure searches myself. That's why I came to this forum to see if anyone else noticed it. Obviously quite some people have the same expectation as me where there was reasonable possibility of finding a round trip ticket to Europe for 60-66k, and that possibility just disappeared for all practical purpose.
100% agree, and this is why I originally started a thread/posted. The baseline of 30/33k to GVA is completely gone (as I'm sure to many other EU destinations). Hope its not forever, but not feeling optimistic ha!
Old May 4, 2023, 10:07 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very disappointing to see the baseline (which very clearly exists) bumped up. Not unexpected, but I was hoping that at least partner tickets would be safe for the time being. I guess this leaves AA as the last of the legacies with fixed partner flights (for now...). Earn & burn holds true.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by doc4science
Very disappointing to see the baseline (which very clearly exists) bumped up. Not unexpected, but I was hoping that at least partner tickets would be safe for the time being. I guess this leaves AA as the last of the legacies with fixed partner flights (for now...). Earn & burn holds true.
Reading about these pricing changes the impression I got was that these increases were only for UA flights, not partner flights. Partner flights have had predictable pricing in my experience, with some odd pricing happening if combining with UA awards
Old May 4, 2023, 11:12 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
Reading about these pricing changes the impression I got was that these increases were only for UA flights, not partner flights. Partner flights have had predictable pricing in my experience, with some odd pricing happening if combining with UA awards
That was my initial understanding too, but looking at tickets solely operated by partners US>EUR indicate they have been increased as well :/
Old May 4, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
Partner flights have had predictable pricing in my experience, with some odd pricing happening if combining with UA awards
UA has already started working on dynamic pricing with partner awards -- I get a slightly different price for some flights on an all-partner route I'm looking at. I think it's related to which carriers are involved, but I'm not 100% sure.

The era of fixed-price redemptions is over. Continuing to talk about charts, or baseline prices, etc. is unproductive.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 2:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by doc4science
Look at using miles from some of the non-US legacy airlines’ programs to get fixed pricing for now for those UA partner airline flights which you would have previously considered booking with UA miles. This dynamic mileage ticket pricing sleaziness is going to get worse, so run down those UA mileage balances before it gets even worse. And consider alternative currencies to UA miles as a unit of storage of value and as a means of payment for those trips that would have otherwise been booked with UA miles if not for these mileage ticket pricing shenanigans.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Look at using miles from some of the non-US legacy airlines’ programs to get fixed pricing for now for those UA partner airline flights which you would have previously considered booking with UA miles. This dynamic mileage ticket pricing sleaziness is going to get worse, so run down those UA mileage balances before it gets even worse. And consider alternative currencies to UA miles as a unit of storage of value and as a means of payment for those trips that would have otherwise been booked with UA miles if not for these mileage ticket pricing shenanigans.
Yep. I recently booked NH J on Aeroplan for considerably less than UA was asking. Transferred points from Cap1 and a very easy booking process. Was even able to enter MP number for *A benefits. The only downside is the fees to change or cancel, which you need to pay attention to at booking.
GUWonder and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This dynamic mileage ticket pricing sleaziness is going to get worse, so run down those UA mileage balances before it gets even worse.
Yeah, seems like they want to follow Delta's lead. I would say don't put all your eggs in one basket, but no need to rush for the exits just yet. I am still able to get value redemptions upfront. I have multiple J flights booked to Asia in Polaris, and recently flew for 60K to New Zealand. But I haven't redeemed miles for economy class in several years, so if they extract more revenue from economy awards and leave the value in the front cabin redemptions in place, I can live with that. Once it reaches a point where the only options are 150K-250K+ each way I may reconsider.
Old May 5, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Looks like U.S.-Europe one-way went from 30K to 40K

Was booking USA-Paris a few weeks ago and the lowest price was 30K, but went to book just today, and the same flights are now 40K.
so it appears the new USA-Europe one way coach awards are now 40K…not happy, but not too unreasonable, considering inflation is affecting everything around us

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2023 at 8:39 pm Reason: Moved to ongoing discussion of the change
Old May 6, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
MP devaluation

Hello. I must have been comatose recently and today I am seeing VERY HIGH redemption values for *Alliance partner award tickets. When did this happen?
Old May 6, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. I must have been comatose recently and today I am seeing VERY HIGH redemption values for *Alliance partner award tickets. When did this happen?
Example routes and prices? No UA segments on the itinerary?

It was only a matter of time…
Old May 6, 2023, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by doc4science (Post #547)
Earn & burn holds true.
"Earn & burn" has been a frequent flyer program participant "best practice" for decades.

Indeed, it was a favorite aphorism of the founder of FlyerTalk, Randy Petersen .
jsloan and goodeats21 like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Example routes and prices? No UA segments on the itinerary?

It was only a matter of time…

Routing: N.America to ISt/SAW. Economy previously at 30 or 33K now cheapest at 43.9K. Other European destinations pricing the same or 70K on a wide variety of dates even into 2024. Is this "dynamic pricing" at work? Even on itineraries not containing UA segments?
Old May 7, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Routing: N.America to ISt/SAW. Economy previously at 30 or 33K now cheapest at 43.9K. Other European destinations pricing the same or 70K on a wide variety of dates even into 2024. Is this "dynamic pricing" at work? Even on itineraries not containing UA segments?
Seeing some EU routes with awards from 37.2K each-way (DTW-BCN, for example), but they look to be seasonally limited. 40K seems to be general Saver award level (availability at that level can be significantly better when logged in and having a UA credit card).

I guess that's somewhat dynamic, but nothing like DL where awards vary based on one-way vs. roundtrip bookings (cheapest levels to EU almost all require a roundtrip booking with 7 day minimum stay). Lowest levels can also have lengthy advance purchase requirements (from 50 up to 90 days to EU). There are also seasonal differences and significant route-to-route differences. For example, cheapest DL Main Cabin awards on DTW-CDG for summer are 66K each-way (w/roundtrip booking) while Fall/Winter awards start at 54K each-way. While MC awards on more competitive JFK-CDG route start at 54K and 36K each-way for Summer vs. Fall/Winter. There are also DL BE awards coming to the EU in the Fall at somewhat discounted amounts from those Main Cabin award levels. Basically, all these rules/requirements are close to, if not identical, to what is found in fare rules on the cheapest revenue fares on the routes. Let me know when UA gets that dynamic and then you will have something to complain about.

Last edited by xliioper; May 8, 2023 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.