Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [Status restored by UA]

Two options:

- call back and state your case to a different agent. In he airline world, sometimes this is required (though in this situation, you shouldn't need to). It may take time to have the status restored, but it will be done

- for faster service, PM UA Insider with your MP info. and they will take care of it. I've been told they are aware of the issue and there's a fix planned, though not sure on the ETA.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe

- for faster service, PM UA Insider with your MP info. and they will take care of it. I've been told they are aware of the issue and there's a fix planned, though not sure on the ETA.
ETA? I'd say right after they fix all the other IT issues such as the miles redeposit fees for 1Ks. Maybe 2017 if we are lucky.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA
Thumbs down Premier downgrade during address mess-up

I've been a UA premier for years, all with a foreign address. Part time I stay in the US for work and have used one of the work addresses as secondary address. Last year I've reached UA Platinum (with 78k miles and 5,600 PQD -- but PQD are waived for non-US residents).

Last week a mess-up with my address happened and primary/secondary address were switched. When I undid the change I was asked for confirmation that I live outside the US (which I provided even though I just undid a change).

When I checked in today for an intl. flight my boarding pass showed UA Gold and boarding group 2, both bad signs. The lounge helpdesk told me (after letting me wait for 30min) that I did not meet PQD requirements in '14 (even though there are no PQD for non-US residents which I told her).

Looks like either United's systems are seriously messed up and they happily randomly downgrade status during the year. Also, neither lounge helpdesk, people on the helpline, or their supervisors have any clue and give widely contradicting information.

Now, if they add PQD for non-residents as well then I would not complain but this is ridiculous.

I'll keep you posted...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Did they claw back your GPU and RPU and any bonus miles earned this year?
To answer these questions:
my account still contains the RPU upgrades that I received but they reevaluated all flights in '15 so far and removed the bonus miles.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:05 pm

Thumbs up

So, united screwed up but I'm surprised how fast they responded. I've sent a message both to UA Insider and the MileagePlus team through their contact form and I got a reply in less than 3hrs!

Based on the mileage flown in 2014, the Platinum membership status should be correctly listed on your account within the next 48-72 hours for your reference. We apologize for any confusion and look forward to serving your travel needs as a Platinum member with us.
So, to spare UA Insider a flood of PNs just message the MileagePlus folks and they'll take care of it (or at least promise to take care).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:21 am

Once again I'm surprised, this morning I received an email that my status was changed back. All prior flights that ware recalculated got recalculated again with the Platinum multiplicator and I received the miles back. That was much quicker than I thought and I only missed out on upgrade opportunities for two flights (which are mostly a miss out of ORD anyway). Unfortunately, the next flight tomorrow will be on a different *A.

End of rant and I hope that this information is useful to some of the forum members!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:18 am

Angry How I lost 30,000 miles trying to earn 2,000 miles

Let this be a cautionary tale for anyone with a foreign address who wants to sign up for the mpdining.rewardsnetwork.com program to earn an extra 2,000 miles.

I live in Asia and am in the US sometimes, so I thought I'd give MP Dining a try. Upon sign up, I was asked to choose an address from my MP account. But, it wouldn't go through because I didn't have a US address, so I went ahead and switched to a US address for the sole purpose of signing up. I thought I'd just switch back after sign up. BIG MISTAKE! United came out with a new rule that requires verification and "10-14 days" to change to a foreign address. I could've submitted documentation, but I figured I had the whole year to.

For those who don't know, United has different elite tier requirements for US and non-US customers.

Having met the tier requirements as a non-US customer in 2014, I was already a gold member. But, now with a US address (only newly changed in July 2015), I no longer met the requirements. I would've understood if this changed my status for 2016.

BUT, the system RETROACTIVELY took away my status earned in 2014 with a non-US address AND to add insult upon injury RETROACTIVELY took away my previous gold multiplier bonus earnings as well.

Is this even legal??

Certainly, I will fight to the ends of hell to get my status and miles back.

But, what a hassle ...

Thanks for flying the friendly skies
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:37 am

If it makes you feel better they do this to 1k customers too. You will have to fight for your correct status and miles back.

Oh and yes it's legal for them to do this. Frequent flier programs are basically only governed by the terms of the program, which airlines can change, modify, etc at any time. One aspect that needs some reregulation.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Interesting. And it shows how complicated a simple question of what your address is becomes.

I used to keep a US address on file with UA because it was easier (their systems seemed better able to cope). However, my US credit card came to my UK address. But this was painful as half the time I couldn't use it since most large corporations don't seem to be able to cope with foreign addresses. So I switched my cc to a US address and, shortly afterwards, joined MP Dining (I'm not sure why as the restaurants they offer in the Bay Area are very poor, but that's a different matter). Then, I switched my UA address to the UK because of PQD, but kept my MP Dining address in the US. It seems to work for me.

However, I fear that the banks will soon catch up with this and make it difficult to change addresses around without some form of proof of address - that's certainly happened in the UK where you need to actively prove a new address to banks and all sorts of other providers.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
This thread may offer some ideas in getting it back.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
.....One aspect that needs some reregulation.
Please don't. We have more than enough government regulations already.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Totally not worth it for the dining program, you just got extra screwed. Good luck.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A lot of people seem to be missing the fact that the OP earned Gold and UA retroactively took it away with the address change.

Nothing else really matters. UA screwed up (as they are will known to do). UA needs to fix this immediately for the OP. Even if the OP moved to the US midyear, already-earned status is not supposed to be affected.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by exerda
A lot of people seem to be missing the fact that the OP earned Gold and UA retroactively took it away with the address change.

Nothing else really matters. UA screwed up (as they are will known to do). UA needs to fix this immediately for the OP. Even if the OP moved to the US midyear, already-earned status is not supposed to be affected.
Agree completely.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
And as per the thread that Silver Fox linked to (and which this thread will probably be merged with before too long), they will fix it when asked.

The fact that this is still occurring months after it was first reported is a different matter though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.