Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by jabbered
I'm not a United flyer, but what's going to be missed by waiting?
This.

I guess that means you have had your butt in the new UA "slim line" seats. Or experienced UA's finest during IRROPS.

Having 1K status wouldn't necessarily save the world, but at times it can be a valuable help. I was on a morning flight from ORD-LAX that went MX and the earliest they could get me on another flight was at 6PM the same day. I overheard the CSR telling the woman next to me that the earliest she could get out would be the next evening! And this was back in the pmUA days when they really valued 1K's.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I experienced the exact situation as the OP - changed from a non-US address to US address in January this year. System automatically downgraded me based on PQD, even though I qualified as 1K with > 100,000 PQM. Even received the GPUs (last Nov). Called UA Mileage Plus.. agent had NO clue how it happened but deferred to the computer system, despite me pointing out that I clearly qualified and the GPUs were awarded. Her suggestion was to change the address back.

I sincerely DOUBT that United will go against the computer system, no matter how flawed the programming is. Do you really need to have your MP address in the US? What are you going to receive - the 1K card? Drink chits? Big deal... better off keeping it there until United somehow fixes their system (unlikely).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Wow - this is really pushing it UA... Assuming changing your address back to SIN will take too long - I'd say you are stuck at Gold for the short term - really surprised what they did to you considering you qualified for the full year last year...
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a computer that wasn't programmed to consider whether someone moved. It saw he didn't meet the requirements and considered the status to be an error to be fixed.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a computer that wasn't programmed to consider whether someone moved. It saw he didn't meet the requirements and considered the status to be an error to be fixed.
But one would think that status is "fixed" for the year once it's been granted, such that a subsequent change of address should not retroactively void the grant.

Of course, with UA IT, anything is possible.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
MP Account Incorrectly Downgraded from 1K to Gold - Options?

Seriously, that someone would even spend the cycles to put in code to check CURRENT status levels and claw them back just boggles the mind.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Seriously, that someone would even spend the cycles to put in code to check CURRENT status levels and claw them back just boggles the mind.
I'm thinking of something that periodically sweeps over the database looking for errors.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
Update today - 1K status has been restored!

A PM to UA Insider with an explanation was sufficient to get this restored.

Let's hope that I don't get downgraded in a future computer sweep...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GodErnst

Congratulations!

I think it's sad that you had to go the circuitous route by sending UA Insider a PM, but hopefully it's a situation that's now on the UA radar to fix so that others aren't affected.

(Oh - wait a minute....! )
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Wow, OP, you had it worse than I anticipated. I've always wondered what happens when you move back to the US during a qualifying year (which I may do this year towards the end). I never imagined that they would claw back status earned in a previous year when you move back.

They need to clarify whether this is some punitive policy or just bad IT.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Glad it worked out for you and that UA did the right thing to make it right.

Sobering to think what happens to the average UA flyer who isn't aware of information sources such as FT - as I was a few years ago.... I guess they either just take it or find another airline... Don't laugh - but a colleague at my company only recently became aware of what a GPU is - and has been a 1k on and off for many years...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
Downgraded Status

So this just happened:

I spent 2014 stationed in Asia (US military) at an APO address. During 2014, I flew over 100,000 miles on UA (mostly personal travel). Per United's 2014 rules, I earned 1K status in Oct 2014 on PQM only (PQD requirement was waived for APO addresses based on United's rules). I received the "welcome to 1K" package in the mail in October 2014 and continued to fly UA as a 1K for the next several flights. I never did hit the PQD requirement in 2014 though.

I returned to the US in 2015 and recently updated my home address on UA's website. Not long after, I found I've been downgraded to Platinum!!

Has anyone else heard of someone being retroactively downgraded in status?? Do I have any recourse?? I realize I got 1K because of UA's special rules for APO addresses, but those rules said nothing about UA revoking status when I moved back to the US... Had I known this, I might have spent the extra few bucks in 2014 (I can't remember exactly, but I don't think I missed the PQD requirement by much).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Another FlyerTalk user reported this happening a few weeks ago. They called MileagePlus who was able to fix the issue, although it took some time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
It's probably an automated action (and "correct") due to the rules that they had in place on their system. They may have never had this issue come up before and it was not QAd when their system was updated with the PDQ additions a couple of years back.

Presumably just needs to be reviewed at a certain level of mgmt that is not on the phone and then changed in their backend so the next person is not affects by this.

Imo it's prolly and oversight rather than malicious
Originally Posted by GodErnst

Originally Posted by UAiwannago

I returned to the US in 2015 and recently updated my home address on UA's website. Not long after, I found I've been downgraded to Platinum!!
*bolded mine*

sigh, i guess they just changed it manually for GodErnst and not in their backend. Presuambly there are a bunch of people affected by this on all MP status levels

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Another FlyerTalk user reported this happening a few weeks ago. They called MileagePlus who was able to fix the issue, although it took some time.
^^^ this or maybe PMing UA Insider might be faster (if you have PMs enabled as a new user)
Old May 16, 2015, 12:03 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Thumbs down UA Status Downgrade after address change

It's my turn to say my UA status has been downgraded from 1K to Silver. I am a Romanian citizen and I have been living in Romania for the past 47 years. I have achieved UA Premier 1K status in 2013 for 2014 and then again in 2014 for 2015, as per the Mileage Program Rules (no PQD requirements since I have been living outside the US). On April 14 2015 the company I work for had me temporarily transferred from Romania to the headquarters in New Jersey and now I will be working here for the next 12 or 24 months. I do not have a US passport or a US GreenCard, just a temporary work visa.
Two days ago I have updated my address in my Mileage Plus account - apparently this was the stupidest thing for me to do. As a result, the next day United had downgraded my status from 1K to Silver. Even more, the system had recalculated all the miles I have earned this year and removed most of my bonus miles from my account (no longer 11 times the base fare). For instance, one return flight EWR-BOM I took earlier this month and brought me over 70,000 total miles now only shows over 36,000 award miles.
I have called Mileage Plus and the answer was: "you are no longer a Premier 1K member because in 2014 you did not meet the PQD requirements". I have tried to explain that my qualification for 2015 met all criteria as per the program rules (for a non-US based person) and that the program rules clearly state "Once you qualify for a Premier status, the status is valid from the date when you qualified through the end of the following Program year." I have never "tricked" the program in any way and I have qualified for 1K as per the Program rules applicable to me. I do understand that my future 2016 qualification is dependent on PQD too, but this must NOT retrospectively impact my current status.
However, no argument seemed to matter and I am now Premier Silver.
Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do further? I do not want to let this go; it is not fair to retrospectively apply a rule (particularly when the rule did not apply to me until just a few weeks ago). And the Program rules do not mention anything about a potential retrospective impact of changing the address.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You need to contact Mileage Plus and see if you can get it changed, that seems to be the path to success. If the first person does not change it then hang up, call again (huca). You shouldn't have to, we know it's crap, but there it is. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.