Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
As a 1K flying in first to Rome, can I really get into the Alitalia lounge?
*A accessible lounges @ FCO are contract lounges for premium cabin passengers. The contract operator is Alitialia.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
As a 1K flying in first to Rome, can I really get into the Alitalia lounge?
On departure from FCO, yes, UA uses AZ lounge. It's okay. Good espresso
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
*G Lounge Access at FCO

When I checked in at FCO for my FCO-IAD flight last month, I was invited to use the Alitalia lounge on account of being *G. This was completely unexpected. So while the lounge was crowded and the food there was merely decent (on one hand I was in Italy; on the other, UA keeps my food expectations low in lounges), I was pleasantly surprised.

But I'd certainly never heard of any such *G benefit. Did I miss something? When did this start? I hadn't flown through FCO since July.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Per http://www.staralliance.com/en/airpo...irportCode=FCO, the Alitalia lounge is a contracted lounge, so seems like that might make sense.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
There is something odd about Italian airports where the airport authority somehow incentivizes/requires/restricts lounges to being operated by 3rd parties (except for Alitalia who seem to get their own permission). Just like ground handling services. It feels like something shady about it, and I don't know what this collusion or arrangement is.

So Italian airport lounges are generally pretty crappy. And always something named like "Sala Leonardo" or "Marco Polo Lounge". All of the lounges at FCO pretty much suck.

I would be all in favor of having LH operate their own lounge in FCO, but this doesn't seem to be in the cards.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iapetus
But I'd certainly never heard of any such *G benefit. Did I miss something? When did this start? I hadn't flown through FCO since July.
UA has used the AZ lounge at FCO for years.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:34 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Lasted all of 15 minutes in that lounge, thought it was pretty bad.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has used the AZ lounge at FCO for years.
This is what I was starting to suspect: I've had access for a while now, but no one has bothered to tell me. Of course, keeping it real, I never bothered to find out, which I could have done. I just assumed that I was SOL, seeing as how there are no *A partners based there.

At least now I know and can visit regularly from now on.

Originally Posted by sfo
Lasted all of 15 minutes in that lounge, thought it was pretty bad.
No, it wasn't great. But at least I was able to get a free coffee, use the restroom and grab a Coke before my flight. I don't particularly care for T5 at all at FCO (which is one reason I like flying FCO-FRA for my first leg). So anything that makes it at all more pleasant is welcome.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
It's not the largest lounge in the world, but at breakfast this week, the food and coffee were certainly better than the vast majority of stateside united clubs. I wouldn't turn it down.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:57 pm

Current FCO->IAD departure terminal

Does anyone know whether you still check-in at T5 for FCO->IAD? My BP reads "All United flights arrive and depart from T3" with no reference to T5.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:04 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I believe that T5 is gradually being (or has already been) phased out. UA is out of T3 along with other airlines now:

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]
and
http://www.adr.it/en/web/aeroporti-d...C474%2C72%2C73
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
In T-3 now UA contract lounge here is the same as priority pass and let me tell you it's pretty dismal. Coffee is good drinks are OK but nothing special L Anfore is the name
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:12 pm

FCO-ORD

Hello FT'ers -- I will be flying out of Italy on United and was wondering what the recent experience is. I am MP Silver and am not sure if I get any benefits (different security lanes, etc.) or if using fast track would provide any benefit. I've never flown out of FCO so any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trickle20
Hello FT'ers -- I will be flying out of Italy on United and was wondering what the recent experience is. I am MP Silver and am not sure if I get any benefits (different security lanes, etc.) or if using fast track would provide any benefit. I've never flown out of FCO so any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Other than Premier Access at check-in counter and Group 2 boarding, there is no Silver benefit at airport (incuding security) - biggest benefit will be E+ seat selection at T-24.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
My favorite part of a FCO departure: Having a last traditional standup espresso in the terminal. An authentic and true italian coffee, served in a real ceramic cup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.