Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FCO lounge / connection time / logistics - Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA1k
FCO Rome airport

For those thinking of flying out of Rome, you should know that FCO could possibly be the worst airport in the UA system. Even DEL and BOM are better!

Terminal 5 is set apart from the rest of the airport, and if you drop off a rental car, you have to walk for 20 minutes only to have to take a shuttle to T5.

Once you do get to Terminal 5, you must wait in a queue just to get inside the airport - about 25 mins. This is just to enter! Then, more long lines to check in, even in biz.

Then there is a rather poorly designed fast track line where it merges with the regular line for security. So much for that helpful idea.

Now you have customs. Another line.

From here you walk to a bus which takes you to the real T5. Once inside T5 you might choose to decipher where the lounge is, since there are very few signs. Once you find it, you might as well leave because it's in a basement and is used for multiple airlines and alliances. There's little food, it's A/C is not working, and there are absolutely no places to sit (on the positive side, the cappuccino is as good as anywhere else in Italy.)

So you leave the terrible lounge and head to the gate, which is spilling out everywhere. You finally get to hand over your boarding pass and walk until - brace yourself - board yet another bus, which take you to the plane. Then you get to walk with all your things a little further in the 100 degree heat and up the steps to the inside of the plane.

And if you're lucky, like me, you find out that the IFE, the wifi, and the outlets throughout the plane are all not working. Enjoy!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: 1k
Did the flight arrive on time?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
You do realize FCO recently sustained major damage from a fire, right?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
yes, but this is nothing new nor is it specific to United. The satellite terminal was built for US Airline departures to meet US security screening requirements. I last flew though in 2008 and it has been 7 years now.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sulley
You do realize FCO recently sustained major damage from a fire, right?
The basic process OP describes was in place before the fire.

Although I did an FCO departure last August and it really wasn't that bad. I even kind of liked the AZ lounge.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My usual approach is to fly into FCO nonstop from the US and return via MUC (preferably) or another European hub. Departing FCO from the Schengen area is much easier and more civilized than the circus that is Terminal 5, especially during the summer.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
I pass through FCO several times a year and this post doesn't accurately reflect my T5 experience. It's certainly not a great airport and the recent fire has made some parts of it a lot worse but that doesn't affect those using T5 to take direct flights to the US. There are indeed three lines to get to the bus which takes you to the G gate area (that is not actually "the real T5" - T5 is just were check-in and passport control occurs). I've found that status and an early arrival get me through those lines reasonably quickly. The lounge situation is ok (but not great) as UA uses the Alitalia lounge where I can always get a decent cappuccino, a comfortable seat, wifi, and some peace and quiet. I've never had to board a second bus to get to a UA aircraft although I have often had to do so at FCO for intra-Europe flights on LH and A3. It's true that the gate area can get a bit crowded but that occurs at a lot of airports. All that said, T5 is a vast improvement over the situation that existed circa 2005 so perhaps I'm just thankful for small mercies. The fire has affected those taking flights other than direct flights to the US as checking in at T3 and then getting to the gate requires changing terminals or walking through now dead parts of T3 which still reeks of the fire. On the bright side, passport control and baggage delivery for incoming flights from the US seem to have become more speedy in the past year.

Last edited by Wombat1; Jul 13, 2015 at 8:27 am Reason: minor edits
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:43 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I nearly got screwed by the ridiculousness of FCO, a month ago. Very little sympathy from anyone here.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 13, 2015 at 9:07 am Reason: link no longer needed after thread merge
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Milan Malpensa is the worst international airport I have traveled to, which correlates with Roma given the respective countries. Funny story, I was staying at the Sheraton across the street at MXP, and told my colleagues we would need to leave the hotel 2:15 before the flight. Its a 20 minute walk to the check in counters, security just to check in. Then its a 25 minute walk to the security. Security takes 20 minutes. Then its another 20 min walk to the gate. Check in took 15 mins. By the time we got to the gate it was almost time to board.

My favorite part about the whole experience is that the place was opened in 1998. Its shocking that a place build less than 20 years ago would be so inadequate. It would be like designing and building LGA today - at least they have an excuse.

However, I digress. Other particularly bad airports I find are Belgium, Miami, Beijing (if you connect), LAX is a disaster, and finally my personal favorite, JFK where a 3 hour connection is considered (by the airport personnel) to be tight. UA is fixing JFK by simply giving up.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: UA1k
The fire didn't have anything to do with these specific problems, although it did manage to mess up some others reservations I was traveling with (especially those on BA and LT). My flight arrived about 2 hours late.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Sitting in the Sala Giotto as I type this.

One hour from getting dropped off by a taxi at FCO T5 and clearing immigration. Not so bad, but quite chaotic. As mentioned above three separate lines, much attempt at line-busting, much push back, even by the staff.

We arrived at 10:00 for a 12:45 flight (UA 971) and are 1K. Not sure how long it would take w/o premier status, but I think we got too many favors.

Of course, as always YMMV
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Homer15
We are considering flying UA roundtrip to Rome from IAD, then adding on an Alitalia ticket roundtrip from Rome to Sicily. I am wondering if anyone has advice on doing this, for example--

Any other words of advice or warning?

thanks!
So we postponed a trip to Sicily from last year to this year. Having spent a lot of time looking at award ticket availability (and having a limited number of miles) I think the best option for us is still a nonstop award ticket to Rome, and then a paid Alitalia ticket to Sicily. On the outbound I would leave 4 hours (arr 8 am, depart 12ish), and we would plan to return to Rome at least the day before, and perhaps 2-3 days before, departure.

This gets us to Sicily around the same time as other one-stop connections I've found, with a longer overnight segment (in case we can sleep), and the total cost in miles/cash is very reasonable.

I know 8 am is a peak arrival time, but I think 4 hours is pretty generous, even assuming we won't be able to check luggage through and leaving some room for the incoming plane to be a bit late.

Am I being overly optimistic (or conservative)?

(If something goes awry on the outbound I expect we could find another way to get to Sicily (a later flight or train) but obviously I'd prefer not to have to scramble for that).

Happy new year!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:50 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Homer15
So we postponed a trip to Sicily from last year to this year. Having spent a lot of time looking at award ticket availability (and having a limited number of miles) I think the best option for us is still a nonstop award ticket to Rome, and then a paid Alitalia ticket to Sicily. On the outbound I would leave 4 hours (arr 8 am, depart 12ish), and we would plan to return to Rome at least the day before, and perhaps 2-3 days before, departure.
4 hours should be fine I think. You will need to exit customs/etc and recheck/security upstairs for domestic flights. May be a longer walk than usual depending on airline, and since the terminals have been rearranged, but nothing crazy.

3 hours also ok. I would not cut it to <2 hours arrival time to departure time in FCO. How are you flying nonstop to Rome with UA or any other *A?

Taking a train to Sicily/Palermo would be silly, unless you enjoy 10 hours in a train. There are flights to be rebooked on basically every 2 hours.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by TA
4 hours should be fine I think. You will need to exit customs/etc and recheck/security upstairs for domestic flights. May be a longer walk than usual depending on airline, and since the terminals have been rearranged, but nothing crazy.

3 hours also ok. I would not cut it to <2 hours arrival time to departure time in FCO. How are you flying nonstop to Rome with UA or any other *A?

Taking a train to Sicily/Palermo would be silly, unless you enjoy 10 hours in a train. There are flights to be rebooked on basically every 2 hours.
Thanks. UA runs a summer nonstop to Rome-- very expensive if paying cash but some availability for award tickets.

Looks like the choice is 2.5 hour or 4 hours. Probably will go with 4 hours to be safe.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
UA FCO services for arrivals

DW and I are flying IAD -FCO in May . (happen to be global first if that is relevant and DW is handicapped if that is relevant.)

Does anyone know the United landing arrangements at FCO? Is it a jetway or a bus? Do they use wheelchairs or motorized carts? How far is it from the "secure" area to the taxi/Limo area?

Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2016 at 1:26 pm Reason: cleanup after move

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.