Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phone Call from UA - Flight Activity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Tough crowd. Surprised that some are hostile to the idea of a phone call from someone they do a fair amount of business with, asking why (unless they get something in return).

When I go through my records and notice a familiar name that hasn't been in my shop for quite some time, I'll often send an email and ask what's up, is everything OK, did we do anything to scare them away? Tacking on some sort of reward or incentive for telling me would seem to cheapen things somehow; the nature of personal contact, rather than a survey, is that it's just that, personal and interactive. It shouldn't be (I think) flavored with a "what do I get out of this" sort of thing because, after all, it's not that hard to get customers if you simply offer them free stuff. What's hard is to stay in business doing so.

There will always be people who can easily be swayed by an offer to go this way, or that. As mentioned, those people can be "bought." More important are those you are failing because your basic value proposition is wrong, or because there was some specific area that you failed them. At least to me, as a business owner.
This make a lot of sense with one underlying assumption - that the business owner actually cares about the customer. In this case the business owner has reduced the value proposition consistently and gone backward on so many prior covenants that the customer doesn't trust their next move...the relationship has been damaged. Thus it has devolved into a series of single financial transactions as opposed to being driven long-term mutual benefit. (Sounds eerily as customer is reacting to business being heavily quarterly earnings driven to me.)

Perhaps had UA asked more of these questions years ago to more of their elites and then shown some concern for how to balance the desires of their best customers along with their need for a successful bottom line, such calls would still be welcome.

Last edited by azzurro; Mar 15, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have not read any other recent posts regarding proactive calls from United asking specific questions about recent (2015) travel patterns. Have you?

Yes, this type of research methodology (live calls) has been going on for years. The anecdotal report from the OP points to a new, specific area of inquiry which I interpreted to be significant, and a likely source of perceived trouble for United.
Although there haven't been posts about them, I agree with RNE that they have been going on consistently as I've heard anectodally from others (non FTers) about them.

I also agree that the fact these calls are now more public should not imply some sort of desperation on UA's part. Although we can agree that UA is still finding its way and not performing optimally, the financial performance is still very much in the black. The ingredients for desperation do not exist.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RealFan
Although there haven't been posts about them, I agree with RNE that they have been going on consistently as I've heard anectodally from others (non FTers) about them.

I also agree that the fact these calls are now more public should not imply some sort of desperation on UA's part. Although we can agree that UA is still finding its way and not performing optimally, the financial performance is still very much in the black. The ingredients for desperation do not exist.
I never once even implied that United was experiencing some type of "desperation".

I found it interesting that the caller from United was asking very specific questions of the OP about future bookings, and quantifying them as *A versus non *A flights. To me, that indicated a source of "trouble" for United which cause would be hard to pin down without personalized research.

Interesting as well that non-FTers have informed you of similar type of calls. We typically hear about the web surveys, but haven't had many people mention live phone calls...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I never once even implied that United was experiencing some type of "desperation".

I found it interesting that the caller from United was asking very specific questions of the OP about future bookings, and quantifying them as *A versus non *A flights. To me, that indicated a source of "trouble" for United which cause would be hard to pin down without personalized research.

Interesting as well that non-FTers have informed you of similar type of calls. We typically hear about the web surveys, but haven't had many people mention live phone calls...
Apologies for putting words in your mouth. I went back and reread your post and you said "likely source of perceived trouble" which I then stretched to desperation. They aren't the same thing and I agree with you.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by azzurro
This make a lot of sense with one underlying assumption - that the business owner actually cares about the customer. In this case the business owner has reduced the value proposition consistently and gone backward on so many prior covenants that the customer doesn't trust their next move...the relationship has been damaged. Thus it has devolved into a series of single financial transactions as opposed to being driven long-term mutual benefit. (Sounds eerily as customer is reacting to business being heavily quarterly earnings driven to me.)

Perhaps had UA asked more of these questions years ago to more of their elites and then shown some concern for how to balance the desires of their best customers along with their need for a successful bottom line, such calls would still be welcome.
Keep in mind the value proposition isn't isolated; the devaluation of elite status is pretty much across-the-board (although I admit that AA seems to be serving better Kool-Aid to their elites than either DL or UA, from the posts on FT). Few elites anywhere are happy with the changes, as airlines move from non-profit status to making money.

It's very tough to disconnect people from the old ways to the new without a lot of angst. Eventually we'll think about the good old days the same way we think about DC-8s with 4-across seating and 50+ inches of legroom, in coach. In other words, we won't. It will be a distant memory that people comes up nostalgically but not relevant to then-current situations.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold

It's been 3 days since the first post. Has anyone else come forward with this kind of live phone call?

It could just be a random occurence, a misplaced name on the calling list, or....

Perhaps we shouldn't read too much into it.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Neil35
It's been 3 days since the first post. Has anyone else come forward with this kind of live phone call?

It could just be a random occurence, a misplaced name on the calling list, or....

Perhaps we shouldn't read too much into it.
I hope you're in good standing with the mods, 'cuz your post has probably been flagged at least 5 times by people demanding that we oust a heretic.

I mean, seriously, you're going to question whether we have enough information to really learn anything? On FT? This place lives for wild extrapolation derived from insignificant bits of information! Think of the children.

But yes, you do have a point.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 15, 2015 at 8:23 pm Reason: toned down
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Eventually we'll think about the good old days the same way we think about DC-8s with 4-across seating and 50+ inches of legroom, in coach.
Actually, I do think of that very aircraft from time to time. An older business associate had mentioned to me one time that it was his favorite plane, but I didn't catch a flight on one until one crazy night on a flight from LAS-DFW. I'm pretty sure that it was on DL, and they were apparently retired very soon thereafter.

I was VERY young at the time.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)

I received an email survey that asked a lot of the same questions about recent changes to my travel patterns with United. The possible responses given included both recent changes to Mileage Plus and to the earning of elite status. I was surprised to have received it as I was hardly a high value flier--although I wouldn't think that they lost money on me as my fares were so cheap--they've got the typical Houston fare high enough to prevent that in most cases.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by StingWest
As always though with UA, it's a question of consistency - doing this regularly, or at least with more predictability, would probably produce more meaningful results. But who knows what goes on behind the aluminum curtain, maybe they consider a 1 in 1000 sample as statistically significant?
That also assume they want meaningful results.

Perhaps they want a survey where they can use the results to validate their actions.

So instead of calling customers who have quit cold turkey, they call some with a minor downturn, and then report back that it's changed travel or business patterns and nothing is wrong, and we're doing a great job.

It's possible they are using selection bias to garner the desired result. I wouldn't put it past this management team.

Remember the coffee survey in the United Clubs with no negative options for the coffee? Survey methodology is not something they take seriously:

Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by channa
That also assume they want meaningful results.

Perhaps they want a survey where they can use the results to validate their actions.

So instead of calling customers who have quit cold turkey, they call some with a minor downturn, and then report back that it's changed travel or business patterns and nothing is wrong, and we're doing a great job.

It's possible they are using selection bias to garner the desired result. I wouldn't put it past this management team.

Remember the coffee survey in the United Clubs with no negative options for the coffee? Survey methodology is not something they take seriously:

http://frequentlyflying.boardingarea...ee-survey.jpeg
Well said. I take the purpose of these surveys at typical face value-we want to genuinely assess the state of affairs and improve our operations-and forget about a second, equally possible corporate reason-confirming the wisdom of our current course of action to higher ups.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 2015 at 4:25 am Reason: image removal
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)

Well you would think that doing 50k miles in Jan/Feb of 2014 and making 1k status for 2015 being a 1k for 10+ years and a MM then not a single booking 2015ytd would prompt a call.

I would agree with that they are hand picking certain people to call to skew the results in the favor they need.

I am not expecting a phone call or email or anything from them.

Well I am expecting that they will come up with some reason to get rid of my MM status and benefits somehow.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Well - I had a missed call from United - 702-389-5870. When I call the number back, I get a recording that says "Hello United Customer. We want to ensure that you have outstanding customer service. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 1-800-United1." So maybe they are doing phone surveys.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I've stopped all purchase of revenue tickets on United post 3/1. We will see if they notice.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
If/when I get the call, I can just tell them to peruse this forum to figure it out themselves.

ps. maybe just me, but I don't like volunteering info unless I get something in return.
This kind of response seems unnecessarily rude. Chill out.
Please think and be nice, people. Thank him/her for calling!
The person making the phone call is probably just a messenger and was not consulted regarding issues that ire. We need to find the people who do manage the policies, and get them to speak/listen. The person making the phone call probably has a good idea of how to find the proper points of contact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.