Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DL now allows earning of qualifying $ regardless of ticket stock. Will UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL now allows earning of qualifying $ regardless of ticket stock. Will UA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by kettle1
The fact is UA could do the same for very little cost. It is not about the free booze in Y+ and all International being free on DL in Y, the fact is UA does not do the same.

I fly both carriers weekly and the "new UA" is a joke compared to DL. I think they simply do not care.

The "new UA" needs to step it up. Become the airline that was once great. I love UA will only give those traveling to Asia free drinks. I guess those that live in Europe do not drink? I know a few people all over the World that would like to have a free drink at 35,000 feet, like the other carriers provide (almost all International).

Source: http://maphappy.org/2012/07/wine-the...-free-alcohol/

As for DL now allows earning of qualifying $ regardless of ticket stock. Will UA follow? I do not think so. That move would not benefit UA at this time.

And as far as SkyMiles, I have traveled all over the World with my family using those "useless" Skypesos.
On excellent global carriers like TAROM AEROFLOT SAUDIA and CHINA EASTERN ?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The whole "free booze' discussion is probably better off in another thread, but just FYI - United does not give free booze in economy at all anymore, including TPAC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...omy-class.html
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I wish United would make this change.

It would be great if United would copy Delta on this one and get rid of the 016 requirement especially as they are likely to raise the PQD requirements again next year. Would like to have my *A partner flights count.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if DL's move came from studying their numbers - and they have 2 extra months of data than UA....Or, maybe pressure from other Skyteam members?

Or, maybe this was a deferred feature for their IT work - that they could only get the DL MQDs to work by 1/1 and wanted more time to make partners' revenue available?

Last edited by username; Mar 15, 2015 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if DL's move came from studying their numbers - and they have 2 extra months of data than UA....Or, maybe pressure from other Skyteam members?
I had similar thoughts, especially the latter idea. Seems as though many of these decisions are aggressively "anti-alliance."
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by kb1992
+1

DELTA is the worst offender in cutting FFP benefits with all sorts of sneaky moves. DELTA started PQD, and revenue based RDM. Unfortunately, DOT allowed airline mergers which sharply reduced competition. UA just copied DELTA without fear of backlash.

I don't even mention SkyPeso.
Southwest actually started revenue based rewards before DL.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Or, maybe this was a deferred feature for their IT work - that they could only get the DL MQDs to work by 1/1 and wanted more time to make partners' revenue available?
Remember, DL calculates MQDs for non 006 tickets and non DL flights by a % of miles formula, not based on $. A little counterintuitive but this way they don't need any partner data to calculate MQD credit.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Or, maybe pressure from other Skyteam members?
My impression is that *A is less cohesive of an alliance. Many *A members have policies that favor their own flyers significantly more and have incentives to make flyers flying own their own metal (eg SQ's PPS program).

When I started flying OW, I realized how much more you get when flying a partner. Eg as a BA Gold I can standby for free on AA flights. I actually get op-upped on AA or CX (I think in op ups on CX I rank below CX flyers with the same OW elite status but above CX flyers with a lower elite level). When I have an AA flight and I call the AA line it recognizes that I am BA gold and transfers me automatically to the AA Exec Plat line. I have access to CX arrival lounge even when flying Y.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
My impression is that *A is less cohesive of an alliance. Many *A members have policies that favor their own flyers significantly more and have incentives to make flyers flying own their own metal (eg SQ's PPS program).
At the very least, I would hope UA could provide some PQD benefits on the joint venture routes. I'm cheesed off enough by the no drinks TPAC policy that I booked two TPAC RTs on NH this month. But I didn't exactly stick it to UA, either, because they still got my money.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Due to a misconnect to the last AA flight of the day to my destination, I was re-accomodated on a UA flight. My 037 ticket earned PQD.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsl42
Due to a misconnect to the last AA flight of the day to my destination, I was re-accomodated on a UA flight. My 037 ticket earned PQD.
UA metal earns PQD no matter the ticket stock. It is non-UA metal (*A) and non-016 stock where you won't get PQD.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor

I flew all three legacies this week and could not have told one from the other, which mirrors my experience over the last 5 years.
I'm just curious about something here. You're GS on United, and Plat on DL your AA status doesn't show. But, shouldn't a GS customer on United have some difference in experience than a Plat on DL and a kettle on AA?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Spin88's analysis in #35 is spot on. I'd also add that DL started the campaign on alliance weakening with it's tiers for earnings that had ST co-founder Korean Air in level 4. Perhaps Delta is seeing this as a way to mend fences, or the announcement of the code-share agreement between Korean and AA caused a moment of reflection.

In the end, I think DL is trying to see if it can keep its customer's on its metal with carrots, rather than force them there with sticks. They couldn't do this unless they had some confidence in their product vis--vis that offered by their alliance members.

United matching? Given that UA has basically indicated with mileage prices, that *A partners have a superior product it'd be hard to see them do a backpedal here. This could continue to be a wedge issue with UA and *A, but I'm not so sure current United management cares too much about being in *A? At least, if I were a partner of a company, that has done what UA has done to steer customers away from me, I'd question the value of that partnership for sure.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by transportbiz
I'm just curious about something here. You're GS on United, and Plat on DL your AA status doesn't show. But, shouldn't a GS customer on United have some difference in experience than a Plat on DL and a kettle on AA?
All regular ops except for one missed connection in ORD due to weather, so UA pushed me into AA J.

The similarities I was referring to was, to me, there is no difference in either gate or FA customer 'treatment' between the three legacies that is so often written here. Frankly, I think most of that stuff is made up.

I was in J on all flights, so I boarded at the same time on all three.

All were on time except AA was about 30 minutes late out of ORD and UA was WX delayed out of EWR

Im a kettle on AA, correct. I only have three clients where they fly direct, so I don't fly enough to get status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.