Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best UA credit card these days? [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are only two Chase MP credit card choices: (the only ones open for new customers and have any UA benefits)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orer-card.html

There are very different and there benefits are described in the references threads.

Another choice of some is the Chase Sapphire card

The best depends on your needs and purchase history -- all of which only you know.

There is a whole forum on credit cards - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/
and Chase cards http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards-722/
Thanks so much WineCountry. My apologies for my ignorance on the subject....
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by andersmj
Thanks so much WineCountry. My apologies for my ignorance on the subject....
No need for apologies -- this is just an area there is no simple answer and probably best to do the research and then post in the prefered card thread to confirm your thinking.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
dang i didnt know 1k gets 60 off a year, they have been charging me full for the past two years!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Channel 9
Hi Folks,
I've had the old "Choices" UA card forever, but they killed that program (without telling me), I'm still earning miles but wonder if I can be doing better.

I travel a lot internationally and would like the "no foreign transaction fees" the new cards offer.

Are there any cards for the high mileage members that I'm not seeing on the site? Or what do you think of the current offers?

Thanks!
PS - Do 1ks still get the annual fee waived (I do on my Choices card).
The "Choices" program is still active and available on other Chase UA branded cards. I have the Chase UA Club card and have "Choices" miles to spend.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by critten
dang i didnt know 1k gets 60 off a year, they have been charging me full for the past two years!
You don't get $60 off, you get a $60 statement credit at some other point in the year.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Both of the current Chase UA cards (Exlporer and Club Card) are good cards. As others have noted, the Club Card is a particularly good choice if you want a United Club membership.

Personally I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred and AMEX MR Gold cards are better overall due to additional bonus categories and flexibility to transfer to multiple airlines. The Sapphire, as others have noted, allows transfers to UA.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs down Chase M+ CC going

I am like you I am evaluating if it is still worth keeping my Chase Mileage Plus platinum card after all of these years. The PQM were nice but now they are worth a lot less with the higher and higher PQD requirements. Thinking it's time to dump this card after 10 years. Spoke to Chase about it today and they said many are cancelling their United Credit Cards due to all the changes after 3/1.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
With consistent Plat or Gold elite status, I really don't benefit from the MP Explorer card benefits, so I've mulled cancelling after the first year's fee waiver and replacing with CSP. I thought the $25,000 spend for PQD waiver would benefit me, but in reality once I meet the mileage threshold, PQD has not become a barrier.

CSP would yield 2 miles/dollar on UA purchases anyway if I transferred to UA MP. Does anyone see a reason to not replace UA MP Explorer card with CSP?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:46 am

There were several versions of the UA MP Platinum or Signature Visa card that give PQMs.

The one I have has several category spend bonuses:

2x at gas, grocery, dining, home improvement, ua, star alliance carriers.

1 PQM per mile on united purchases up to 5k per year.
5k PQM bonus after 35k spend per year.

It's a pretty good card to keep if you want to use it to meet the PQD waiver and can get a category bonus for that spend.

Once you cancel it, you are done since it's no longer open to applicants. Still at $140 with only a single $60 credit, it's pricey.

The Club card is also pretty good if you have a club membership anyway, as it offers 1.5x on everyday spend.

There are other cards that have those category bonuses (not sure about home improvement stores though, no other card I have does 2x there). For example, Amex Everyday Preferred earns 4.5x at groceries and 1.5x on everyday purchase if you make the required number of swipes monthly (30 for preferred). CSP and several other cards gets you 2x dining, 2x travel, and so on.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 15, 2015 at 4:55 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Does anyone have that link to go and redeem "Choices" from that card? I didn't know the program was still active (I use that card heavily), except for PQM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
to answer the original question in the thread title, the one that is chopped up in the trash
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Totoro
With consistent Plat or Gold elite status, I really don't benefit from the MP Explorer card benefits, so I've mulled cancelling after the first year's fee waiver and replacing with CSP. I thought the $25,000 spend for PQD waiver would benefit me, but in reality once I meet the mileage threshold, PQD has not become a barrier.

CSP would yield 2 miles/dollar on UA purchases anyway if I transferred to UA MP. Does anyone see a reason to not replace UA MP Explorer card with CSP?
Nope. I chose CSP over MP Explorer. However, as a 1k, the annual fee for the MP Explorer is $35 after statement credit.

The only benefit it provides (that you don't already have as a 1k with CSP) is CPU's for award tickets. If that's worth $35 to you, keep it!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Channel 9
Does anyone have that link to go and redeem "Choices" from that card? I didn't know the program was still active (I use that card heavily), except for PQM.
www.united.com/choices

which sends you to:
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...er/Choices.jsp
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I agree. I have the club card, and if you know you are getting the lounge membership, it's the cheapest and most efficient option
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
And free for a year!

(Actually, fifteen months IME.)
Sorry, are you saying you can get the card with no fee for the first year right now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.