Best UA credit card these days? [2015]

Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Best UA credit card these days? [2015]

Hi Folks,
I've had the old "Choices" UA card forever, but they killed that program (without telling me), I'm still earning miles but wonder if I can be doing better.

I travel a lot internationally and would like the "no foreign transaction fees" the new cards offer.

Are there any cards for the high mileage members that I'm not seeing on the site? Or what do you think of the current offers?

Thanks!
PS - Do 1ks still get the annual fee waived (I do on my Choices card).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Channel 9
I've had the old "Choices" UA card forever, but they killed that program (without telling me)
Other than the PQM purchase option, the program is still intact.

Are there any cards for the high mileage members that I'm not seeing on the site?
I recommend getting something other than an MP card. Why put all your eggs in one basket?

Do 1ks still get the annual fee waived (I do on my Choices card).
Up to $60 per year.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Hi Folks,
I've had the old "Choices" UA card forever, but they killed that program (without telling me), I'm still earning miles but wonder if I can be doing better.

I travel a lot internationally and would like the "no foreign transaction fees" the new cards offer.

Are there any cards for the high mileage members that I'm not seeing on the site? Or what do you think of the current offers?

Thanks!
PS - Do 1ks still get the annual fee waived (I do on my Choices card).
I guess there are some other questions you should answer that would help narrow this down.

1. Do you spend a lot on cards and are you using miles for awards often ?
2. Are you manufacturing spend ?

From the branded chase cards for United, it's really just the explorer card which earns 1pt per $1 spend except for on United purchases which gets you 2pt per $1, and comes with a $99 annual fee. The United Club card gives you the lounge, and earns you 1.5pts per $1 for everything, and 2pt per $1 spend on United, but has a $395 annual fee

A lot of people like the ink cards. The Bold gets you 5pt per $ spend in a number of outlets (Office Supply, Telecoms etc). If you know you are going to spend $2000 per month on credit cards for example, you can use the ink card to buy $2000 worth of gift cards in Staples, use them for your monthly purchases, and earn 10,000pt per month instead of 2000pt. These earn Chase Ultimate Reward points that can be swapped 1-1 into United points among others (BA, KE, SQ, B6 etc etc). There are occasional transfer bonuses also.

There is an unlimited supply of ways to generate miles and stretch the intended uses of these cards. Online searches will be your friend.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you're a 1K that flies a lot domestically on UA, the Chase Club Card should be in the mix for consideration. The Clubs, in spite of declining food and beverage quality, are still a real good place to get work done prior to, and between, flights. The food and beverage options allegedly are going to get better soon - my money is on premium food/snacks for purchase.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're a 1K that flies a lot domestically on UA, the Chase Club Card should be in the mix for consideration.
OP mentioned they fly a lot internationally
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
OP chiming back in here,

- mahasamatman indicated the Choice is still there (except PQM purchases -which I used to love), maybe I should refresh my self on whether it is worth it to keep it up.

- I spend a ton on cards, pay it off each month, and happy to collect as many miles as possible for UA to take Ms. Channel 9 and Jr Channel 9s

- I usually spend miles to buy the Club each year, unless the Club card is a better deal (doesn't sound like at $395).

Thanks for any additional inputs!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
OP chiming back in here,

- I usually spend miles to buy the Club each year, unless the Club card is a better deal (doesn't sound like at $395).

Thanks for any additional inputs!
Buying a Club membership with miles is pretty much the absolute worst way to do it unless you simply have no other use for miles. The cpm you get in trade is really really low.

The club card is pretty much the best to get club access from a financial standpoint. $395 - $60 as a 1K nets a $335 club membership (vs 53,500 miles or $400 as 1K) and an essentially free credit card that nets 1.5 miles per dollar.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Best UA credit card for a 1k these days?

I agree. I have the club card, and if you know you are getting the lounge membership, it's the cheapest and most efficient option
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I agree. I have the club card, and if you know you are getting the lounge membership, it's the cheapest and most efficient option
And free for a year!

(Actually, fifteen months IME.)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred for travel and dining. It has no foreign transaction fees and the points you earn can still be transferred to United as well as other programs. IMO, it gives you the same point earnings or better for United miles compared to the United brand cards and the flexibility to transfer points to hotels or other airlines.

I still also have the United club card for club access but it's worth it for me since I travel weekly and stay at the club 1-2 hrs a week.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
OP can you advise us your spendings or a break down of it that would go on CC?

How much annual fee are you okay with?
Are you a business owner?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dank0014
OP mentioned they fly a lot internationally
Prior to partial retirement, I flew a lot internationally. And domestically. They are not mutually exclusive.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by tsolin01
I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred for travel and dining. It has no foreign transaction fees and the points you earn can still be transferred to United as well as other programs. IMO, it gives you the same point earnings or better for United miles compared to the United brand cards and the flexibility to transfer points to hotels or other airlines.

I still also have the United club card for club access but it's worth it for me since I travel weekly and stay at the club 1-2 hrs a week.
I second the Chase Sapphire Preferred and like it for it's flexibility. The annual fee is <$100 and may be waived for the first year. You can transfer points to a number of airlines and hotels which I have found particularly useful. The card now comes with a chip (unfortunately chip and sig instead of chip and pin, but better than nothing).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Best credit card??

Hi All,

Random credit card question. I have two trips to Shanghai coming up and need to book two round trip business class tickets - probably around a $10K spend.

I was thinking of getting a new United credit card to optimize miles (and other benefits).

Any opinions on which is the best??

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are only two Chase MP credit card choices: (the only ones open for new customers and have any UA benefits)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orer-card.html

There are very different and there benefits are described in the referenced threads.

Another choice of some is the Chase Sapphire card

The best depends on your needs and purchase history -- all of which only you know.

There is a whole forum on credit cards - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/
and Chase cards http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards-722/

There is no single answer and you will need to find the card that best matches your needs and pocketbook.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.