Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United First worth $xxx upgrade fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by chgodude
I have a ORD-SFO-HNL flight upcomng and UA wants $320 for upgrade, do you think thats a good deal?
If the cost is for both flights, ORD-SFO and SFO-HNL, then personally I'd take it.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
What is the forums opinion on a 20,000 mile upgrade to F. The price difference of $250 wasn't worth it to me, but I can upgrade to F for 20K miles.

It's a transcontinental MCO to LAX so it's a 5.5 hour flight.

Dinner included.

I'd pay $200 not $250

Wondering if worth to sacrifice my points
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by caseminole
What is the forums opinion on a 20,000 mile upgrade to F. The price difference of $250 wasn't worth it to me, but I can upgrade to F for 20K miles.

Dinner included.

I'd pay $200 not $250

Yes, on a flight of that length...unless you're points-poor (those points can come in handy when you absolutely have to be somewhere on short notice and the cheapest ticket is $1200). Only you can decide that. Heck, some eastbound TATL (transatlantic) flights are just a tad longer than that one.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yes, on a flight of that length...unless you're points-poor (those points can come in handy when you absolutely have to be somewhere on short notice and the cheapest ticket is $1200). Only you can decide that. Heck, some eastbound TATL (transatlantic) flights are just a tad longer than that one.
I would pay the $250 over 20k miles. You can get a o/w Saver F or Standard Y for 25k which as you point out, could be very expensive in cash. It is ultimately up to OP's personal valuation of the miles though.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
I would pay the $250 over 20k miles. You can get a o/w Saver F or Standard Y for 25k which as you point out, could be very expensive in cash. It is ultimately up to OP's personal valuation of the miles though.
+1. One valuation of a "mile" is = $0.02, so your mileage upgrade option would be equal to $400.00.

We all have different valuations of miles. If I am using miles to get an international first ticket, those miles can = $0.102, based on a recent check on a roundtrip HNL_FRA_HNL routing.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum

Dinner included.

I'd pay $200 not $250

20K is the standard domestic upgrade charge. I'd drop that in a minute for a 5.5 hour flight, unless I was point poor. I've spent that on even shorter flights to upgrade the wife when she's flying alone. If its a DTV Bird you'll get it for free too with the upgrade.

Based on some of the meals I've had on UA over the years, not sure if the inclusion of dinner would be a big plus. But a bit more seating area for that length is definitely a plus.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What aircraft? 739 with slimline seats? Those things are absolutely miserable. You don't want to spend 5.5 hours back there.

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
I would pay the $250 over 20k miles.
Yeah that's not even a close call for me. I would never redeem at 1.25 cents per mile, which is what this calculates out at. Plus if this is post-ticketing but pre-check in the buy-up will count towards RDM and PQD.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
What aircraft? 739 with slimline seats? Those things are absolutely miserable. You don't want to spend 5.5 hours back there.

Yeah that's not even a close call for me. I would never redeem at 1.25 cents per mile, which is what this calculates out at. Plus if this is post-ticketing but pre-check in the buy-up will count towards RDM and PQD.
Its an A320. Only 12 seats in F.

The flight actually looks pretty open, and although I'm 100% sure I'd get my free "upgrade" at T-24 into E+, I'm not so sure about F.

I bit the bullet and cashed in the 20K points anyway
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I'm seeking opinions as to whether a $171 buy-up to F on SFO-YYC is worth it. Flight time is 2:50, ERJ-175 (SkyWest dba UA Express), one single seat available (1-2 configuration), no meal service. I have no status, currently in E- and need to check a bag.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Easy, so effectively, you're paying $146 for the upgrade given that the $25 bag fee becomes free with the upgrade.

Next, would you pay for E+? That's like another $50 or so? Ok, if so, no we're down to about $96 for a move up to F. Is your bag overweight? If so, that's a $100 fee that the F upgrade will waive.

My sister when she was moving home had 2 checked bags each at 60 pounds. The $100 buyup to F was a no brainer. Pay $100 to save $260 plus get F seat, VIP tags, F meal, F checkin, F security, etc

Last edited by matrixwalker2012; Aug 20, 2016 at 1:54 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
+1. One valuation of a "mile" is = $0.02, so your mileage upgrade option would be equal to $400.00.

We all have different valuations of miles. If I am using miles to get an international first ticket, those miles can = $0.102, based on a recent check on a roundtrip HNL_FRA_HNL routing.
+1
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
[QUOTE=747FC;24598462...One valuation of a "mile" is = $0.02...[/QUOTE]

Mr. Nitpick here...I think UA's official value of a mile is $.017.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Easy, so effectively, you're paying $146 for the upgrade given that the $25 bag fee becomes free with the upgrade.

Next, would you pay for E+? That's like another $50 or so? Ok, if so, no we're down to about $96 for a move up to F. Is your bag overweight? If so, that's a $100 fee that the F upgrade will waive.

My sister when she was moving home had 2 checked bags each at 60 pounds. The $100 buyup to F was a no brainer. Pay $100 to save $260 plus get F seat, VIP tags, F meal, F checkin, F security, etc
I ended up splurging for it. Bag probably won't be overweight, and there's no meal, but... I just like sitting up front a lot. And getting to board first and get off first and being close to the restroom. I rationalize it by telling myself that I live pretty frugally, except when it comes to travel. I like to be comfortable when I travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.