Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United First worth $xxx upgrade fee?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's regular domestic first class seats..they just call it business class..it's not businessfirst. It may have DirecTV or it may be completely without entertainment..no way to tell that until a couple days before.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Only about 3 hrs 20 in the air. Almost justifies a P.S. cabin.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Why on earth would this be operated by a 767?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by caseminole
How is the flight?

Is it worth using miles to upgrade to BF?

I was thinking the equipment would be 767 at least, so disappointed to see the non-stop on a 737 series

Just wondering if I am up for disappointment on any aircraft amenities or services?
Yes, if your expectations are that you'd get a 767 to Cancun, then I think you will be extremely disappointed in your amenities and services.

That you can get between LAX and CUN nonstop on UA is something to be thankful for. Get a good seat in E+ and save the miles IMHO.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by caseminole
How is the flight?

Is it worth using miles to upgrade to BF?

I was thinking the equipment would be 767 at least, so disappointed to see the non-stop on a 737 series

Just wondering if I am up for disappointment on any aircraft amenities or services?

I have traveled on Pre-merger CO to Rio, London, etc. on 767s and always enjoyed the perks
1) The flight is slightly longer than LAX-ORD in terms of distance. It goes by quickly.
2) The upgrade is probably not worth it given the F cabin on the 739. E+ is totally tolerable for the flight.
3) For a flight which is shorter than a transcon to a purely leisure destination, a 767 is highly unlikely. Distant, high traffic destinations with significant business/fashion/art interests like Rio and London are not similar to Cancun.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
not compared to every other F cabin in the sky pretty much.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by noah
Yes, if your expectations are that you'd get a 767 to Cancun, then I think you will be extremely disappointed in your amenities and services.
Yes.

I think the OP should fly the glamorous, star filled, and sexy VX flight...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Which one is better?

I am flying with NH Business class from SFO to NRT in summer time. I wonder is it worth to change to UA GlobalFirst. Any ideas?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by whitywhitytw
I am flying with NH Business class from SFO to NRT in summer time. I wonder is it worth to change to UA GlobalFirst. Any ideas?
If you want a bigger seat, sure. If you want better service, and a much better soft product, stick with NH.. UA F these days is basically C service with a bigger seat and some small additional items...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Are you planning on sleeping; YES.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
Thank you FriendlySkies and 747FC!

I must be too greedy, kinda want both . I would love to have a nice meal with nice wine first, and sleep all the way down to Tokyo (hopefully I will be able sleep for that long since it's sometime around afternoon). That's why I am looking for suggestion here. I am not big (5'10"), is NH business good enough for me to have a decent sleep? Gosh, I wish NH could release more F seats

Originally Posted by 747FC
Are you planning on sleeping; YES.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thank you FriendlySkies and 747FC!

I must be too greedy, kinda want both . I would love to have a nice meal with nice wine first, and sleep all the way down to Tokyo (hopefully I will be able sleep for that long since it's sometime around afternoon). That's why I am looking for suggestion here. I am not big (5'10"), is NH business good enough for me to have a decent sleep? Gosh, I wish NH could release more F seats
I'm 6' 1", and had no problems sleeping on NH C to NRT. Slept for 6 hours straight
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
On second thought, stick with NH: I may need that great Global F seat for me!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would stick with J on NH for two reasons:

1. The UA 744s have become horribly unreliable. I'm currently in NRT waiting for my mx delayed aircraft for the return to SFO. *Hoping* this delay won't be more than 90 minutes. Spent an unplanned overnight in Tokyo on the way out due to a 744 mx cancellation. The mx delays and cancellations have really become epidemic.

2. The food on UA is just plain bad and getting worse.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I fly both NH busines and first class to NRT regularly - and I can tell you without a doubt that I would take NH business over UA GF in a second - but ONLY in the new "ANA Business Staggered" configuration - so check the plane first before you book. NH F is so far beyond UA GF its not even worth discussing.

If you get stuck on one of NH's older business configurations I would take UA - they don't go completely flat and they are too small for me - and I'm not a big guy... I think for the most part NH has phased out most of the older planes - at least from the east coast - but not sure about the west coast...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.