Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angatol
BA requires you to enter your original credit card number in full to cancel a booking online.
Only if you booked at ba.com.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:40 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angatol
I have a booking with a TA in my account. If I try and cancel that online it doesn't let me and says I must deal with the TA.
Precisely. You are subject to cancellation rules of the TA, not BA. Whether your TA requires full credit card number or not is a separate matter and out of BA control.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe someone at work found out OP was playing hooky on a business trip (since most businesses and government are closed in Taiwan for Chinese New Year from the 18th to 23rd) and cancelled it

In guess in the old days, the PNR Locator was considered a secret code of sort. They also documented the "received from" for instructions. Nowadays, some kind of added security is probably not a bad idea.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:34 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Baggage tags? Are you kidding?

Have you seen how many people tweet or instagram or facebook their tickets with their PNRs showing? Takes one frenemy to mess up a whole trip.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I looked at the original post and it didn't say that. OP said he flew the first legs of the flight. But if, for example, there were 3 legs and he only flew 2, the ticket would get cancelled.

OP should clarify.
Maybe we're reading the OP differently, but the quote below tells me that UA did, in fact, tell him someone accessed his itinerary via the website and cancelled the trip.

Originally Posted by Piscesbox
I than phone United Premier line using my Platinum status and the UA agent said that according to their system, "an unidentify(no account logged in) CUSTOMER CANCEL the ticket on their end via UA website", which this is not possible at all!!!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Have you seen how many people tweet or instagram or facebook their tickets with their PNRs showing? Takes one frenemy to mess up a whole trip.
I've been wondering how much this lady's itinerary was messed with after she tweeted that picture.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat | CX G | TK G
First of all, I would like to thanks every folks who reply and give me advises regard to the unacceptable thread.

And I would like to clearly,

(a) For the last couple days, I was at mainland China which the local internet have no access to this site nor my Gmail but I have ask my assistant to follow up while I am away with local ANA & UA office.

(b) The purpose of this ticket is for business travel, but I personally booked via united.com with my company credit card, thus, I am sure that no one has my PRN and other info beside me, nor other possibility that I left my info out while using public workstation.

(c) All four outbound legs are correctly credit into my account within 2 days, and according to the newest update from UA, “the IP address that cancel the ticket is at SE US”, but the agent refuse to tell me more detail about the local which they claim it's for customers' benefit . [What?? I am the one who booked/bought/fly this ticket, who are you protecting??]

(d) According to UA .com agent, anyone can cancel or change your flight when they hold your 16 digi ticket number or PRN plus your last name, and as easy as touch of a bottom. [lack of security protection, i can easily go to ig and cancel 50 ticket in one day!!!]

(e) The local UA (Taiwan) office is useless, since they only have one flight in and out of the country from SFO, they have no authority to do any what so ever, even re-book ma a couch seat back home via TPE-SFO-YVR. Thought their local office VP contact my assistant while I am away said that he will look into my case personally and try to work it out, but all the information have to go back to mainland China(since they take care of the great China area, which include HK) and I believe US and come all the way back which take forever.

(f) The last and final message from local UA is that, they clearly state that the error is not cause by them, so they can only comp me for their TPE-SFO-YVR but on couch, and I am not eligible for E+ with my status. [What a joke??]

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone that pay attention to the disaster that UA gave me for Chinese New Year, and after this, I decided after my flight from SFO back to YVR. I will no longer take/purchase any United flight personally or for my family(even for the $50 First Class Fare), also I have convince my company to do so and they decide to stand with me, United Airline will be out of consideration start from Q2.

Once again, thank you everyone and I hope none of these will happened to you, and I wish you all for Happy CNY.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
First of all, I would like to thanks every folks who reply and give me advises regard to the unacceptable thread.

The purpose of this ticket is for business travel, but I personally booked via united.com with my company credit card, thus, I am sure that no one has my PRN and other info beside me, nor other possibility that I left my info out while using public workstation.

All four outbound legs are correctly credit into my account within 2 days, and according to the newest update from UA, “the IP address that cancel the ticket is at SE US”, but the agent refuse to tell me more detail about the local which they claim it's for customers' benefit .
Welcome back. Happy Year of the Goat.

Someone had to get hold of your PNR or ticket number in order to do this. Since you booked it yourself then we have to assume that either someone got it from a luggage tag or a thrown away BP (not sure the PNR number is on the boarding pass or not).

This vague "SE US" message is a crock. From the IP address they can easily nail it down to a city.

I would take the stance at this point that

1) You can prove you made the booking
2) You can prove that you were in China when they claim the booking was cancelled in the US
3) Thus you can prove that you weren't the one who cancelled
4) Unless UA can prove that someone actually did it (rather than a computer error) then you expect every ticket to be honored and all expenses due to cancellations to be managed by UA.

When you get back to the US, if they haven't cooperated, Small Claims Court is your friend. Don't threaten UA. Courteously explain the situation, how much money you are due, and why. That kind of demand is required to get you into SCC. If they don't pay, file. No threats, just filings.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(e) The local UA (Taiwan) office is useless, since they only have one flight in and out of the country from SFO, they have no authority to do any what so ever, even re-book ma a couch seat back home via TPE-SFO-YVR. Thought their local office VP contact my assistant while I am away said that he will look into my case personally and try to work it out, but all the information have to go back to mainland China(since they take care of the great China area, which include HK) and I believe US and come all the way back which take forever.

(f) The last and final message from local UA is that, they clearly state that the error is not cause by them, so they can only comp me for their TPE-SFO-YVR but on couch, and I am not eligible for E+ with my status. [What a joke??]
UA's TPE office is actually contracted out. They look like UA employees but they are a GSA. If you are not getting help from the Platinum Line, a GSA will probably not be able to help you. In fact, there might be notations in the PNR because of your previous dealings with the Platinum people. People who use UA out of TPE will tell you the TPE office and airport staff are really good.

Is UA "comp"ing you the trip? Or, they just resurrected the old ticket for the trip?

Did they specifically tell you that you are not eligible for E+? Or, they just said they booked you economy/coach? In UA's world, there is not a separate booking class like EVA. So, coach/economy includes both E+ and E-. If you are Platinum, then you are entitled E+ when available.

How about your Japan trip? I thought TPE-SFO-YVR would not work for you?

Both UA and you are the victim in this. If UA had better security, this would not have happened. However, what they have is pretty standard.

What kind of company do you work for that will leave you stranded in Taiwan?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by username
Both UA and you are the victim in this. If UA had better security, this would not have happened. However, what they have is pretty standard.
I don't know about UA being a victim. It is like saying in the US the credit card companies are victims of fraud due to the poor security (no pin, no chip). They're the ones who did it to themselves.

If the standard isn't good enough, then being standard isn't good enough. Didn't they have a spate of people booking award flights using others' miles? They "solution" is to disable logging in by email or username, and only to use MP account number. I don't know if that's a real "solution."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.