Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Old Feb 17, 15, 2:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: YVR|SFO|TPE
Programs: UA Plat | CX G | TK G
Posts: 7
Angry An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Hi guys,

I need some advise on what to do and I will try to make my long story short.

Basically My company bought me a coach ticket via United website early this year for business travel, and I flew the first part of my ticket on Feb10 and there's no problem, but my return route TSA-HND-YVR on ANA departing for Feb23.

Couple hours ago, I try to phone ANA local office to get the emergency exist roll, and was informed by ANA agent that my ticket number is no longer available which United pulled my ticket off at Feb11. [no email/any sort of notification of cancelation of ticket]

I than phone United Premier line using my Platinum status and the UA agent said that according to their system, "an unidentify(no account logged in) CUSTOMER CANCEL the ticket on their end via UA website", which this is not possible at all!!!

Now they will need to rebook me for the same flight, but will cost me extra $850 for the full fare economic, or they are offering TPE-SFO-YVR via UA but this doesn't work, since I have a business meeting at Tokyo, if there's anyone had the same issue before or know how to deal with them, please give me some advise.
Piscesbox is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 5:07 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok or San Francisco
Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Posts: 11,881
Originally Posted by Piscesbox View Post
Hi guys,

I need some advise on what to do and I will try to make my long story short.

Basically My company bought me a coach ticket via United website early this year for business travel, and I flew the first part of my ticket on Feb10 and there's no problem, but my return route TSA-HND-YVR on ANA departing for Feb23.

Couple hours ago, I try to phone ANA local office to get the emergency exist roll, and was informed by ANA agent that my ticket number is no longer available which United pulled my ticket off at Feb11. [no email/any sort of notification of cancelation of ticket]

I than phone United Premier line using my Platinum status and the UA agent said that according to their system, "an unidentify(no account logged in) CUSTOMER CANCEL the ticket on their end via UA website", which this is not possible at all!!!

Now they will need to rebook me for the same flight, but will cost me extra $850 for the full fare economic, or they are offering TPE-SFO-YVR via UA but this doesn't work, since I have a business meeting at Tokyo, if there's anyone had the same issue before or know how to deal with them, please give me some advise.
What was the first leg you flew? Did you book it or your company?
Tchiowa is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 5:18 am
  #3  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by Piscesbox View Post
the UA agent said that according to their system, "an unidentify(no account logged in) CUSTOMER CANCEL the ticket on their end via UA website", which this is not possible at all!!!
Of course it's possible.... when booked directly all they needed was your PNR and name. Probably someone within your company made a mistake....

I'm afraid you are in trouble. You can appeal with UA but it's not going to be easy, especially not for a discounted fare class.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Of course it's possible.... when booked directly all they needed was your PNR and name. Probably someone within your company made a mistake....

I'm afraid you are in trouble. You can appeal with UA but it's not going to be easy, especially not for a discounted fare class.
Wasn't there a story about some Asian travel agencies hacking and cancelling reservations recently to book their own passengers? Perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all?
Jigen666 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LAX,SNA,SAN
Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Posts: 850
First, this doesn't sound right but yes I have heard of Asian companies randomly needing seats on flights and canceling other folks tix. Second, how easy is it to cancel a tix? There really should be more than calling with a RL number and that's it? Can you see if your company was reimbursed?
ZZYZXROAD is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:22 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Posts: 243
Well, I know this may not be a great help but this is also your company's problem as they have to get you home... Talk to the person who initially booked your trip (hoping it's not you)
Buckdany is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,027
OP - I would strongly suggest working through your company travel agency - or the travel coordinator/admin - to resolve this. If that doesn't work, try to first confirm that any out-of-pocket expenses are reimbursed by your employer, then just pay for it.

To the point above, unfortunately, it is possible to access an itinerary with just your last name and either ticket number or MP account number. Not particularly secure, so it could have been deliberate. It could have just as easily been a mistake.


Originally Posted by Jigen666 View Post
Wasn't there a story about some Asian travel agencies hacking and cancelling reservations recently to book their own passengers? Perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all?
You're thinking of the very specific issue with Air China (CA) premium cabin travel award tickets booked through UA. I could see it if the flight is overbooked.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-hacked.html
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Programs: United Gold (formerly 1K), SPG Lifetime Gold (fomerly Plat)
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by Jigen666 View Post
Wasn't there a story about some Asian travel agencies hacking and cancelling reservations recently to book their own passengers? Perhaps it wasn't a mistake at all?
yep. another great example of UA's stellar web security. not.

OP: file a DOT complaint. http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

UA isn't going to fix this on their own.
FlyingNut724 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,192
Unfortunately ... it's not that difficult to cancel a ticket once you have the PNR/last name, both of which are on your luggage tags!
malgudi is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:42 am
  #10  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724 View Post
yep. another great example of UA's stellar web security. not.
Don't go overboard... nothing indicates a hack or foul play. The OP just doesn't know what happened....
RTW1 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:47 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SIN
Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Unfortunately ... it's not that difficult to cancel a ticket once you have the PNR/last name, both of which are on your luggage tags!
Yikes. I knew this is all it takes to cxl or change a ticket, but it never occurred to me that they're on the bag tags. That's really bad...
Singapore_Schwing is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:52 am
  #12  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
It's all about convenience vs risk..... nobody will go to the trouble of reading your bag tags and then cancelling the rest of your ticket. And besides that, the PNR isn't even on a baggage tag. Just your name, destinations and flight information like the flight code.

Making it harder to change your reservation (most questions to be asked would also be very easy to answer) will inconvenience a lot more people than the occasional mishap.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 17, 15 at 9:00 am
RTW1 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 8:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,027
Another thought for the OP. Is it possible that you used a public workstation, like at a hotel, and never cleared the cached information? This is one way someone could have accessed your trip.
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 9:08 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,943
Could someone at your company have done it?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 17, 15, 9:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
It's all about convenience vs risk..... nobody will go to the trouble of reading your bag tags and then cancelling the rest of your ticket. And besides that, the PNR isn't even on a baggage tag. Just your name, destinations and flight information like the flight code.

Making it harder to change your reservation (most questions to be asked would also be very easy to answer) will inconvenience a lot more people than the occasional mishap.
PNR is on United bag tags. Just don't piss anyone off who knows where to look for your bag! Of course, we also trust that no one will pick up a bag that's not there's from baggage claim. Fortunately, most people aren't out to get you.
afrozenfyre is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread