Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An unauthorized person cancelled my return ticket, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Flights can no longer be cancelled unless logged in, so UA has stepped up its security.
Just tried to cancel a PNR without logged in. No problem.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Well that blows.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
This is why we are vigilant on FT, advising people NOT to post photos of the boarding passes with name/PNR in trip reports.

There's a site called "untied.com" (not sure if it still exists). People would log complaints on that site, complete with phone numbers, ticket Numbers, PNRs, etc. it was such an open door for people to make malicious things happen.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Well that blows.
Above "United Confirmation Number XXXXXX", there is a line "Reservation Tools". "Cancel" is still an option.

Without logged in.

This is for revenue ticket (which is the case of OP). However, if it's award ticket, you must log in to cancel. ^^
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In the long ago early days of FlyerTalk, there was at least one instance of one member canceling another's United flight out of spite.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In the long ago early days of FlyerTalk, there was at least one instance of one member canceling another's United flight out of spite.
There was a thread 2-3 years ago from a guy whose ex-wife made changes to his children's ticket:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eone-else.html
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
This turns up from time to time. I really don't understand why United makes it so easy to make changes. Requiring a log-in or the pin would be the simplest way to take care of it. At a minimum, some verification step like address, phone number, last 4 digits of CC would be useful before cancellation.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by astroflyer
This turns up from time to time. I really don't understand why United makes it so easy to make changes. Requiring a log-in or the pin would be the simplest way to take care of it. At a minimum, some verification step like address, phone number, last 4 digits of CC would be useful before cancellation.
All airlines have similar setup, not just UA. There is no perfect setup. Please keep in mind that many bookings don't have a lot of information as suggested.

You don't need an address or phone number to book; there may not be a credit card associated with a booking as it can be paid by check, cash or wire. Some redemption or corporate bookings are associated with a corporate card which you may not have access to. Login only works if booking was made on website; otherwise, there is no PIN associated with booking. Some airlines require you to enter your first flight number, in addition to PNR and name, but that's pretty easy to figure out too.

Last edited by TerryK; Feb 17, 2015 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Piscesbox
Basically My company bought me a coach ticket via United website early this year for business travel, and I flew the first part of my ticket on Feb10 and there's no problem, but my return route TSA-HND-YVR on ANA departing for Feb23.

Couple hours ago, I try to phone ANA local office to get the emergency exist roll, and was informed by ANA agent that my ticket number is no longer available which United pulled my ticket off at Feb11. [no email/any sort of notification of cancelation of ticket]
Sorry if this seems obvious, but did you fly all the segments as ticketed between origin and destination on Feb. 10?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
yep. another great example of UA's stellar web security. not.

OP: file a DOT complaint. http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

UA isn't going to fix this on their own.
1. DOT won't care because the itinerary doesn't touch any US soul at all.

2. Web security is so awful. At least in BA, you need to get the CC number from the customer in order to cancel an itinerary. EPIC fail in SHARES.

3. OP: Try to see if your company is aware of this. They might know a thing or two.

4. OP: Did you, in any way, have any IRROPS from the outbound that caused the UA(016, sounds like they control the tix) to re-book you in other carriers in the outbound? If UA rebooked you in other route, ANA might see that as no-show and cancel the return. Happens to me pretty often, especially in AA/JL tix, any changes from AA(even though it's AA ticket stock), JL may see that as no-show as their system just doesn't talk to each other very well.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I wish the OP would respond with answers about the first half of his itinerary. Because there is another perfectly plausible explanation. If he did something along the lines of Hidden City or didn't show for one leg of the total itinerary or similar thing, it would get cancelled virtually automatically.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by malgudi
Unfortunately ... it's not that difficult to cancel a ticket once you have the PNR/last name, both of which are on your luggage tags!
And on boarding passes that people throw away.
I'm pretty sure that if someone went through a random trash can at EWR or SFO, they could find at least one BP with a PNR/last name for a trip with segments remaining.
People not protecting their personal info + UA IT = potential disaster.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Feb 17, 2015 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Flights can no longer be cancelled unless logged in, so UA has stepped up its security.
So people who dont have an MP account are out of luck trying to cancel online?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Start with your company. If they booked it, maybe they cancelled it for some reason, perhaps in error. But, either way, let them fix it.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Dumb question - but what would be the gain to a troublemaker in canceling a return itinerary? There is no financial gain or anything right?

Seems only motivation, like the ex-wife, is spite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.