Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase now offering MP cards with EMV chip (Explorer, Club, PresPlus)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I was told something similar and heard it had to do with PP being a MC not Visa (?).
I believe this also affects ApplePay as well.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I was able to request this chip for my American Express Platinum card a while ago. That card gets me into the SFO Centurion lounge, which blows away United clubs. I will not be renewing my United club membership.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Thanks Avenezia. I just hung up with Club Card services. The Chase guy had just finished reading the internal e mail announcement when I called. 7-10 business days. Same account number and code, which makes life a bit easier. The agent said the Explorer Card is also now available with the chip, effective today.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I do find it a little annoying that the PP card with its $400 fee doesn't get Apple pay or the chip. I really hope they do something to change this.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I do find it a little annoying that the PP card with its $400 fee doesn't get Apple pay or the chip. I really hope they do something to change this.
I am with you on that, but I doubt it will happen. They are hoping that feature will entice us to leave this card. I won't. I will just use another card when traveling, if necessary.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Chip & signature. In other words, really no better than a mag strip.
Completely false. Chip and sign works vastly better than mag stripe when traveling in Europe. It even works at many unmanned POSs.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
PP card doesn't get ApplePay because its an MC, and Chase doesn't have MCs ApplePay enabled. That's because with a very limited exception, the PP being one, Chase doesn't use MC anymore (I don't think they issue any new MC anymore, and to be quite frank, surprised the legacy CO cards haven't been switched over to Visa). Not sure if it was a fees dispute, or simply to better partner with Visa exclusively (a la UA/Marriott or UA/Hertz). I'm really pissed that my Freedom Mastercard got unilaterally changed to a Visa - as it was my only US-based MasterCard.

As to the EMV, the US-based way of doing it is pathetic. I'm not a fan of typing in a PIN everytime like i have to do in Canada, but the US banks have fumbled - finally agreeing to pay the costs to implement EMV because they finally realized it could benefit them, then making it so it only benefits them and not cardholders. The least they could have done was add a PIN - I don't really care that much about needing a PIN/signature - what I do care about is being able to show up in Europe, with a card geared toward travelers like the Sapphire Preferred I have, or the Club card, both of which waive foreign transaction fees, and then not be able to use it in many places, especially in ticket machines, etc. because it requires a PIN. I have a lot of products with Chase, and going anywhere else over this wouldn't really change anything since the US banks all do it the same way.

Until they have true EMV - with chip and PIN, it doesn't really mean anything, at least to consumers.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc715
agent said the Explorer Card is also now available with the chip, effective today.
Do you have to call in or can you request online?

I also have two TG flights coming up with that card. It'll be the same number right? I can also just take the old one just in case.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
then not be able to use it in many places, especially in ticket machines, etc. because it requires a PIN. I have a lot of products with Chase, and going anywhere else over this wouldn't really change anything since the US banks all do it the same way.

Until they have true EMV - with chip and PIN, it doesn't really mean anything, at least to consumers.
I have never had my Amex Chip and Signature fail at a kiosk in the UK, instead of asking for a PIN it just approves the transaction. The only issue I have is at other stores where they get really confused when it prints out a signature form.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Do you have to call in or can you request online?

I also have two TG flights coming up with that card. It'll be the same number right? I can also just take the old one just in case.
You could probably send them a message via the Chase online form, but it only takes 5 minutes over the phone.

Your number and 3 digit verification code will not change.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jstigall
I have never had my Amex Chip and Signature fail at a kiosk in the UK, instead of asking for a PIN it just approves the transaction. The only issue I have is at other stores where they get really confused when it prints out a signature form.
Luckily I don't have many issues in Germany. When I was in Oslo I wasn't able to use my card because I had to use a PIN so when I had to buy a jacket at COS (I had just come from BKK/HKT and mispacked) I was able to use my Visa Check Card that they swipped and then I entered my PIN.

Originally Posted by jstigall
You could probably send them a message via the Chase online form, but it only takes 5 minutes over the phone.

Your number and 3 digit verification code will not change.
Great I'll give them a call today, it shows the Slate card on the Chase site which I have as well as the Explorer so I'll hopefully be able to get both taken care of.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Completely false. Chip and sign works vastly better than mag stripe when traveling in Europe. It even works at many unmanned POSs.
But there are still plenty of problems with chip and sign that are easily solved with chip & pin.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
But there are still plenty of problems with chip and sign that are easily solved with chip & pin.
Except then we would abandon our trust-based transacting in the US and stay using PINs as well, which I would hate.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
PP card doesn't get ApplePay because its an MC, and Chase doesn't have MCs ApplePay enabled. That's because with a very limited exception, the PP being one, Chase doesn't use MC anymore (I don't think they issue any new MC anymore, and to be quite frank, surprised the legacy CO cards haven't been switched over to Visa). Not sure if it was a fees dispute, or simply to better partner with Visa exclusively (a la UA/Marriott or UA/Hertz). I'm really pissed that my Freedom Mastercard got unilaterally changed to a Visa - as it was my only US-based MasterCard.

As to the EMV, the US-based way of doing it is pathetic. I'm not a fan of typing in a PIN everytime like i have to do in Canada, but the US banks have fumbled - finally agreeing to pay the costs to implement EMV because they finally realized it could benefit them, then making it so it only benefits them and not cardholders. The least they could have done was add a PIN - I don't really care that much about needing a PIN/signature - what I do care about is being able to show up in Europe, with a card geared toward travelers like the Sapphire Preferred I have, or the Club card, both of which waive foreign transaction fees, and then not be able to use it in many places, especially in ticket machines, etc. because it requires a PIN. I have a lot of products with Chase, and going anywhere else over this wouldn't really change anything since the US banks all do it the same way.

Chase just changed the IHG Visa to MasterCard about a year ago. All the benefits stayed exactly the same, it just changed to MasterCard.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I was able to request this chip for my American Express Platinum card a while ago. That card gets me into the SFO Centurion lounge, which blows away United clubs. I will not be renewing my United club membership.
My most frequent airports are (in that order) :

LAS
EWR
IAH
LGA
SFO
LAX

Centurion is at 3 out of 6 airports. If they can cover 5 airports, I'll consider the switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.