Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Just returned from Chicago on Monday, flight delayed to SFO due to weather. Missed connection to OGG. UA put me up for the night. I generally have the best luck finding an older agent in the UA Club. She hooked me up with a voucher.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS
I'm not sure if there is more recent thread. I misconnected in IAH Saturday night due to thunderstorms. While other flights were adversely affected, unfortunately (for me) my connection was one of the few that left pretty much on time.

After going to the gate and confirming the flight was closed, I went to the United Club. I asked about the 1k hotel benefit. The agent wasn't too familiar with this benefit and looked it up. She mentioned the this 1K/GS benefit (for weather) is only eligible on international itineraries.

I mentioned that the last time I misconnected in IAH (2 years ago), I was rebooked and provided a hotel, albeit on an international itinerary. I asked the agent (who was experienced/knowledgeable), if United still provided hotel to 1k's on weather delays on domestic itineraries. The agent said that United does and that most agents are misinformed. Of course, policies can change.

My agent checked with a more senior/experienced agent about this policy. She came back and said that the current policy is to provide accommodations only on international, not domestic, weather misconnections. However, they will make an exception in this case, and provide a hotel.

During the conversation, I made sure that my tone was pleasant. Specifically I told them that I realize policies change and if this was the case, that I can reset my expectations accordingly. While I can't be 100% certain, I believe being nice was a factor in getting the hotel.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
In the last year, I had three weather-related forced overnights, at DEN, SEA and SFO. In all cases I received a hotel and meal vouchers upon first request, no questions asked.

YMMV, I think.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
since most of my flights start in Toronto, I guess I'm international so UA always give me a hotel room for free.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flybit
since most of my flights start in Toronto, I guess I'm international so UA always give me a hotel room for free.
the *A rule is 'intercontinental' not 'international' so YMMV.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Tricks/Tips/Advice for getting hotel stay due to irrops

Mrs NH and I on return vaca RSW-IAH-BOS. Flight from RSW to IAH delayed inbound due to late crew (according to counter staff at RSW). Basically, looks like we won't arrive on time in IAH to make our connection. RSW counter reps not very helpful.

Should I speak with GA on landing to try and get a room or should I go ahead and reserve a room on my own and try to get reimbursed?

Any chance of them holding the flight an extra 5 min. for a lowly 1K?

Last edited by NH_Clark; May 28, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Mrs NH and I on return vaca RSW-IAH-BOS. Flight from RSW to IAH delayed inbound due to late crew (according to counter staff at RSW). Basically, looks like we won't arrive on time in IAH to make our connection. RSW counter reps not very helpful.

Should I speak with GA on landing to try and get a room or should I go ahead and reserve a room on my own and try to get reimbursed?

Any chance of them holding the flight an extra 5 min. for a lowly 1K?
A couple of ideas. First, there is a double connection from RSW to BOS with the first flight leaving RSW to MCO (via Silver airlines) @ 4:45 pm. I'm not sure if the RSW staff can put you on this flight, with the assumption that you will mis-connect in IAH.

If you do go on your IAH flight, do not expect that they will hold the flight. When I mis-connected in IAH two weeks ago, they did not hold the IAH-SFO flight. The United Club agent in FLL said there were 24 passengers connecting from FLL to IAH to SFO. If true, they could have waited another 10-15 minutes to accommodate us, but they did not. Since there was weather issues (thunderstorms), I'm assuming they filled the plane by putting passengers from earlier mis-connections.

If you do mis-connect, I would suggest going to the United Club for assistance (assuming you have a membership, or pay for a 1 time pass). When I received a hotel room, it was the Club agents who were helpful (and supposedly bent the rules). It is extremely unlikely that other non club agents (i.e. gate agents, customer service agents) will take the initiative or risk of providing a hotel.

It all my depend on why your crew is late. If it weather related, then United is less likely to provide a hotel room. If their delay was due to mechanical problems (on arriving flight), you should note this.

Two weeks ago, If United did not provide a hotel room, my backup was to book a room myself and go through the claim process via the United Explorer card (which should cover the charge). Fortunately for me, i did not need to go through this process.

Good Luck

Last edited by PBAudit; May 28, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Thanks!
Old May 29, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I always prefer to just pay for hotel and call 1K relations Desk in morning - while you will not get a check to pay for hotel, I always found they will happily give you flight vouchers that equal your out of pocket expense for hotel.

For me easier then waiting at airport in hopes of finding right agent who understands policy
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caught up in the Weather/ATC problem at ORD tonight. Before my flight cancelled, I went to the Service Center in the E/F gate to ask what the rules are now for 1K.

Agent #1 said, without any hesitation, that UA will cover the hotel/meal.

When it did cancel, I went back. Agent #2 said no (even for 1K) and gave me the pink slip.

Then I went down to Agent #1 but she was busy. So I talked to the agent next to her when she freed up (Agent #3 ). Agent #3 said no but when I pushed, she started looking in her computer for the rules.

When Agent #1 freed up, she told Agent #3 that they cover it. Agent #3 did it pretty quickly.

What I don't understand is how come agents don't know these rules by heart and are so inconsistent. This really tells how UA values us :td

Before I write to ask them to train the agents better, what is the latest rule?

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
What I don't understand is how come agents don't know these rules by heart and are so inconsistent. This really tells how UA values us :td
If they just say no, you're likely to go away faster.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If only we the pax could actually see these rules and have a copy.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I usually wait until the line is gone when there are IRROPS. When they come back with a "no" reply (especially at an out station where there are few or only one agent), I usually say that it is at their discretion to issue the hotel voucher. With nobody looking or other people to answer to, the answer usually becomes, "just this once".

At larger hubs and clubs, 99% of the time they issue a hotel and meal voucher with little fanfare. One time, they had hotel voucher in hand and boarding passes for the next day when I got off the plane, as they knew everybody had misconnected.

For all the horrible experiences others have had, UA had consistently treated me well since 2002 when I first got status. Maybe I got lucky and didn't get the unruly matrons and dragons. Maybe I'm just a polite helpless looking guy that the agents have mercy upon.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I asked another agent the next day before my rebooked flight and he said, without hesitation, that 1Ks and GS do get hotel. It is crazy we have to go through this kind of game with them.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by username
So, I asked another agent the next day before my rebooked flight and he said, without hesitation, that 1Ks and GS do get hotel. It is crazy we have to go through this kind of game with them.
And this goes back to the #1 complaint I have about United - inconsistency and lack of transparency.

I don't think any other airline has more "secret" policies and guidelines than United. Nevermind the whole pmCO/pmUA problem - but everything from this, the actual IDB process, meal priority in F, the 1K Y beverage perk.. Everything's a roll of the dice, and the exact details seem to be either misunderstood by half of the employees. The "secret" policies like this make it even worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.